NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 190 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    jsa330 likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    you're already better than me!

I have not done any detailing yet... the harnesses are what is used in vintage racing- Nick Mason has his like that.... so I put mine in. I have not had time to do any washes on the engine or aluminum interior... what did you use for the seats? I've seen all blue cloth as well as with Aluminum..

3. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    Thanks spirot

Even if I don't have all the documentation I would like, I hope to reproduce the car in its "1000 kms de Paris 1962" configuration. Obviously, without modern harnesses or roll bars. For the seats, I use Tamiya masking tape and gloss aluminium TS17 Tamiya.

Etienne

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    rei24, 250GTE and red27 like this.
  5. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That looks amazing ^^^

6. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Is there ONE place that is best to sell unbuilt model cars?
    I have some from the 80's and early 90's, F1 and Endurance cars, still sealed,
    plus a few boxes of 'F1 driver and technical and engineer' sets.
    I don't want to spray ads all over the place.

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Here is a good place!

the_stig likes this.
  8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Hey @Lusso123 Marshall, have you had a chance to dive in to the 300 SLR to inspect at least fit and finish? Not sure why but this one is really calling to me. Is the paint acceptable? I know we can always find fault and see room for improvement but, for someone not looking to make a real project out of this model does it pass inspection? Any shortcomings in the kit that you've noticed? Have you come across any build diaries yet? I've searched but not found anything and all the videos I've seen are in German. Thanks mate!

9. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Have not had a chance to thoroughly examine, and it will be quite awhile before I start any build work - other projects ahead of these. That said, I did open and look through each kit, and long instruction manual. Each will be heavy a model when built...weighing in at about 25 LBS. First thing I wanted to check was the finish of the body panels & paintwork. Overall I think the finish is extremely good, other people might say excellent. Certainly more than acceptable. I'm pretty happy with the finish. One thing though, on a couple of panels I could see where they have done some extra polishing work, perhaps under the paint- maybe dealing with a blemish or two in the metal castings. This was on both kits. Once built, I highly doubt anyone will notice unless looking at it with your face almost against the model! The real cars had painted wire wheels, but the kit has parts with different finishes, particularly the spokes. Some people are happy with incorrect finishes on wheels on their models, but I'm not, and neither are most of my customers. (An example of making something wrong - CMC 1:18 models are one of the biggest offenders with incorrect finishes on wire wheels and other parts on almost all of their models. This can be seen on all of their Ferrari's, and their M-B 300 SLR Ulenhaut Coupe, etc, etc.) So I plan to paint the wheels before putting tires on. Also, there are many molded in small detail parts on some components for engine bay & trunk, and molded fittings of various lines/hoses. Those are items and areas that I will have to change and improve. One other note: the tires & wheels are similar in design to those on Pocher kits, and the tires are so hard that they will require some heating to be able to get over the wheels! I'll be replacing my tires.... And as for any build diaries, I have not seen any, but I also have not looked! Only videos I know of so far are the German ones you mentioned.

the_stig likes this.
  10. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Well, that's good enough for me so thank you very much for your comments Marshall. Hope to see you at an event again some day. Cheers.

11. David C

David C Karting

Jul 29, 2014
  12. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Well.....production & cost considerations do always come into play. I'm almost certain that panel fit will differ a little from kit to kit, which given all that is involved is not surprising, and will fall within acceptable limits.

the_stig likes this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I just got my IXO Bugatti Kit, so have just started some of it. first off the parts are great, but i was missing screws for pack 1 of the build! not sure if I lost them or if they were not included. None the less it was the Radiator shroud, and I used left over screws from another build to finish the part. The kit looks great, with lots of hyper details.... what fun!

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I realize this is not a Ferrari question, but it is a kit question.... Does anyone know of any kits in 1:24 and or larger scale of a round tail Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ ?

jsa330 likes this.
  15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Sorry, only the kamm back Profil24 kit comes to mind.

Lusso123 likes this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Only a Joker 24 body and seats/dashboard in 1/24th scale many years ago. The body was not bad. They also did the Tronica version. I have seen artwork for printing one that looked great.

Lusso123 and jsa330 like this.
  17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thank you both
    Thank you both.

18. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    In this kit you will find many more screws than necessary. After mounting 2 kits, there are approximately 20 unused AP screws remaining !

19. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...

Attached Files:

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes, After looking better... I found the box with screws - tons of them! so All good now. I've just completed the gear box and pedals. along with the engine side covers.

etienne likes this.
  21. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    If you look carefully in all the boxes, you will also find a 2nd screwdriver, tweezers, a pair of white gloves, and a metal plate to stick in the display case !

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Carrera slots has the 296 GT3 coming in 1/24th scale this year. I see a Japanese company also doing it in a printed kit. Several Japanese model stores show it coming soon, but expensive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login