When are roads OK to drive the Ferraris in MI? | FerrariChat

When are roads OK to drive the Ferraris in MI?

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by sampelligrino, Mar 10, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Forgive me and my naivety, I'm from Hawaii and live in LA :)

My 458 Speciale is at Cauley Ferrari right now, and I'm considering flying up to drive it around Michigan and explore the state before I ship it back to me

Granted I was just in Detroit to buy the car first week of January with single digit temps and white stuff literally everywhere, I believe it's called snow, ice & salt..

So I'm hoping to glean from experience when the roads & weather become acceptable to the locals to start taking the cars out of hibernation and get the fluids moving? Any advice appreciated!

Sammy

2. Racer_X

Racer_X Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    MI
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would wait until May, after the threat of snow has passed and the spring rains have cleared the roads of salt and debris.

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    #3 vincep99, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    I agree fully, wait until May. We do have some nice days at the end of March and into April, but you can't count on them.

Also, you said you wanted to drive around Michigan; not sure how much you want to see, but it'd be worth going up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) for which you definitely should wait until May. It's 283 miles (~ 4 hours) from Cauley to the Bridge

4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    As soon as rain washes away the salt on the roads. I had my FGT out in December with zero issues.
    Just be aware of lower external temps for engine warm up, tires, etc. Also be aware of chewed up roads as fluctuating temps and wetness can cause some nasty pot holes.

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In Metro Detroit... It was really not much in the way of driving roads. The driving roads that you would want to drive on are up north around Leland. What you can do is take Pontiac trail to Ann Arbor and eat at Zingerman's deli which is considered one of the best in the country. If not the best. Ann Arbor is also the nicest town in Michigan. There's also the road to Hell you can take from there to Hell. I've never done that but I hear it's good.

I would wait till the salt clears.

Congratulations on the car!

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I usually wait until mid April. The potholes are usually bad until then and the other cars throw stones at the car.

but I drive my cars where I know the roads are clean all year round.

7. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Just like Ohio, From June 20th at 1pm, to June 22nd at 5pm....
    then instantly ship it back to LA

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Sorry for the late replies in here but appreciate all of you

Rather than wait until later Spring, decided to ship the car direct to me out west to MT :) Cheers to safe and awesome drives this year

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for letting us know, definitely the safer way to go. We did have snow on the ground last Friday but it was gone Sunday