New Ford GT | Page 64 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'd be pissed if I got one. I wonder what the hold up is.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    My initial thought is that it probably has to do with the carbon fiber and meeting crash specs. Could be due the learning curve in perfecting the manufacturing process and achieving more uniform production yields. I would think it would be somewhat like making computer chips where some turn out perfect and others turn out to a lower than desired spec.

3. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    My order is delayed, but I'm not upset at all. It's a car, not an organ transplant.

LARRYH and Boomhauer like this.
  4. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm bummed at the delays too but then I watched Shmee150's Ford GT driving video again last night and it reminded me what's so special about this car. Like the McLaren P1 it will provide a very raw race-car-for-the-road feeling but unlike the P1 it's the road version of an actual Le Mans-winning race car (I watched them take 2nd place at the IMSA GT race at VIR this past weekend) and it's about a third of the price of the P1. So it's a long wait, and it feels longer with each new person before me receiving their car, however I still think it will be worth the wait.

According to Ford's latest email my delivery has now slipped into 2019 and I won't even get to spec the car until about a year from now.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    maybe instead of interviewing prospective buyers, they should've spent more time interviewing suppliers and engineers. this car has annoyed me from day 1

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Is Ford holding significant deposits on these cars? Two year additional waits, unless you're Jay Leno.

8. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    No. A deposit isn't required until the car is scheduled for production.

9. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Everyone I know who has the car has said exactly that. In fact, it may be too raw for some people. Perfect.

10. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    No. A deposit isn't required until the car is scheduled for production.

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

That's very fair.

12. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    I think so. Ford has been very upfront about everything, including the delays. The only people I hear pissing and moaning about it are those who aren't in line to get one. Honestly, I thought 250 cars/year of this type and method of construction was overly ambitious, so I'm not surprised in the least. I'm not a "next shiny object" buyer anyway, so the delay means nothing to me.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Chris Harris just posted his review:

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    prediction before i watch video - ch is head over heals in love with it. his fav car.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Good video. Thanks for posting.

but I guess I was wrong since he doesn't say its his favorite car. Just that its a 'special driving instrument'.

Need to see it compared to 720, performante, 488gto, gt2rs. Would be epic test.

16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The first four cars built for the Canadian market have been delivered.
    The total so far delivered now is at least 71 cars.

17. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    That sounds about right. I attended a delivery yesterday and there were three cars on that transporter. I hear that production is humming along nicely now.

The fit and finish on the car I saw yesterday was flawless. Ford sends a tech to each delivery and yesterday the tech spent about 2 hours going over the car. Ford does a great job with the delivery experience.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Only 71 cars delivered every one of which was this year, yet IMSA has let this car campaign for 2 entire seasons in one of its road car classes. Hmmmmm ...
    Don't get me wrong, I have loved the Ford GT since I lived in England in the sixties & saw Redman & Ickx win the 1968 BOAC 500 in # 1075. But the IMSA deal pretty much reeks of manipulation.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    This has been discussed and dissected ad nauseum. First, cars were delivered in late 2016. Second, the other teams agreed to let Ford race before the cars were produced. Third, there is manipulation in the racing world? Stop the presses.

20. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No maybe the only people who are pissing and moaning PUBLICLY are the people who aren’t getting one. If you think future owners aren’t unhappy about the delays then either you don’t know very many future owners or they’re not telling you what they really think. Even a one day delay makes me unhappy and mine was pushed out by several months.

That said something this great is worth waiting for. A saying I’m fond of in these situations is “you can have it right, or you can have it right now” - I’d rather have it right and I’m confident Ford will get it right and it will be more than worth the wait.

But I’m still insanely jealous of the people who already have their’s! So there’s some pissing and moaning for you from someone in line to get one!

21. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Ok. I'll put you down as one future owner who I heard pissing and moaning, although you do recognize that it's better to have the car right. I just don't get the angst over a material possession like this.

22. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    I had an order date of 9/17 and now it's 1/18. First world problems. I'll be ok. LOL

23. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Oh the humanity!!!

Are you still thinking about a comp car?

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Really neat how you can see right through the side channels in the video. It's more subtle in pics, but in the video it's really noticeable (and cool).