Old Pocket Watch - Info and value? | FerrariChat

Old Pocket Watch - Info and value?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by dream cars, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
  2. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
  3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm by NO means an "expert," nor even barely "educated."

My father was a big fan of pocket watches, and decades ago, his collection was stolen when his apartment was robbed. Many years later? I was somewhat shocked that I could replace much of his collection with finer pieces, at very little money. Seems like, unless they have VERY impressive complications, the movements aren't worth a whole lot, and the cases pretty much have a value just over the melt value of whatever precious metals are involved.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely correct and a real shame. Some of the movement finishing in American pocket watches rivals even the best that modern Swiss watches have to offer. It's incredible that affordable utility devices, such as these were, were so highly finished. But then, so were buildings of the same era.

5. Gomez

Gomez Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 14, 2017
    LIGHTHOUSE POINT, FL
    Full Name:
    Shorefromtheshore
    Did you sell it. I have one too and I thought I could put two together to make one good one.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its a railroad grade Keystone Howard. It's worth a few hundred dollars but if set up by a good watch maker it will be more accurate then any modern Swiss mechanical movement. From 1880 - 1950 America made the best watches. I think a Hamilton 950 still holds the record as the most accurate production mechanical watch.

Gomez, just go on eBay and get the parts you need, no point in breaking up a good watch.

Regards,

Art S.