Zymol Question | FerrariChat

Zymol Question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ravi355, Oct 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Got a question, as boring as it is, re the Zymol system. Assuming that a car has has the "full monty": wash, clay down, hd cleanse and then wax and moving forward you only wash it with clear bathe, do you have to hd cleanse it after every wash before you apply the wax?

2. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    From the Zymol website FAQ's

http://www.zdouk.com/faqs.aspx

Do I need to HD-Cleanse before waxing?
    Even if it looks clean it probably is not. You just will not be able to see it. Waxing a surface that has not been properly cleaned will only result in a shiny wax layer over dull, dirty paint - not the deep smooth, crystalline finish zymol is capable of obtaining.

3. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi

I saw that that but I thought that once it has been done properly and you wash it with the clear bathe that doesn't stip the wax off, you don't have to keep using the hd cleanse. Or is that a load of bollox?

4. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I always thought you just rinsed it off with cold water after it's had the full treatment.

5. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Once you have done the whole clay bar,HD cleanse and wax you should only need to wash the car with the autobathe and then apply another coat of wax.

That's what I was told and have been doing.

6. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Seems logical, to do it this way, do you still get the depth of shine doing it this way?

7. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    HD cleanse is designed to remove old wax and prep the surface for application of Zymol. Because Zymol can be layered, and because HD cleanse removes old wax, it doesn't need to be done before every application.

Provided you wash your car regularly to keep it free of surface contaminants, then you can zymol straight over the top of zymol (wash it first of course!). Doing that is what gives a deep shine.

If you're in the habit of waxing the car, then never washing it for months, then wanting to wax it again, that is a scenario where you would use HD cleanse every time.

Ric.

8. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    Cheers for putting that into perspective ric.

9. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Stop POLISHING your cars and drive them !!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I'm about to do the full zymol works to my jaguar.

Before using the clay bar and HD cleanse, something else is used. Is it a de-greaser/tar remover?

11. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Why ?

12. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Coz it's dirty and relegated to outside the house.

And I'm a sad git with too much free time on my hands.

:D

13. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I did mine I washed it with the autobathe,rinsed,then the clay,rinse again,HD cleanse and then the wax.

Good to see someone doing it themselves.

14. lauris

lauris Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2005
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Scott Laurie

If your paint is in good clean condition,, and has generally been looked after, there will be only small amount of tar etc on the paint,, the clay bar will remove this,,,, if the paint has areas with lots of tar, then use a tar remover,, (any type will do,, margarine,, works well,,,),,, if there is to much tar etc and you use the clay bar , you can scratch the paint...

re-other questions,, you do not need to hd cleanse after the car has been waxed before putting on more wax, as long as the paint is still clean and relatively tar spot free etc......

hd cleanse, is a very fine abrasive and will remove old wax/small tar spots/very light scrathes(very light),, it also is supposed to feed the paint and restore some of the natural oils,,,, the shine after hd cleanse from the paint should be almost as good as after waxing,, the wax is there mainly to protect the paint from HV/tar/sap etc, etc,,,,,

cheers
    scott.
    anorak car waxer !

15. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    My bottle of HD Cleanse has written on the label "HD Cleanse is a non abrasive essential oil paint cleaner...."

If it removes light scratches though (as is written on the Zymbol web site), it is hard to see how it does it without removing some of the surface...

Ric.

16. Ravi355

Ravi355 Karting

Feb 20, 2005
    In the Country
    Full Name:
    Ravi
    I do use it - problem is it gets filthy, so gotta get it cleaned!

17. WillW

WillW Karting

May 23, 2005
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    I have seen Zymoled cars and they look stunning (althought I don't believe some questinable marketing arguments if you know something about paints, i.e. removing swirl marks without rubbing compound )
    Anyway, maybe I should try Zymoling so what of those waxes (i.e.Cream, Carbon, Japon) people are using? I don't want to spend money on polishing clothes as I have them but in order to achieve good result I understood from Zymol webpages that I will need that at least HD-cleanse and some of their wax.

btw.
    Could somebody explain what this process explained on DB Valeting page means:
    "STAGE 1
    Lehm clay is glided over the paint this removes any grit, fallout, overspray and anything else which doesn't belong on the car leaving a mirror smooth paint finish."
    (Sorry my bad english, couldn't find lehm clay from dictionary)

18. closeshave

closeshave Formula 3

Nov 13, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Davy J
    You can talk :D:D:D

19. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Lehm clay is a piece of clay that you gently rub over the paintwork using a special liquid as a lubricant.

20. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Why on earth would you want to rub your car with a piece of clay ? Have you all gone mad !!!

21. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    It's been done on mine and it cleans all the crap up. Obviously you have to use it in conjunction with a lubricating liquid.

:D

22. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Thats b0ll0x I did it 5 years ago and just used water before they invented the lubricant its just another money spinning gimmick . I have to say tho I agree with you Jrs cos if it collects all the grit and crap aren't you just rolling it all over the car again, and cars have to be really bad before its needed and I dont think many of us let outr cars get THAT dirty ?

23. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S

Just wash the car , how the hell can rubbing your car with Clay be good for it.

24. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    They "clay" bar isn't made from clay. It's just a sticky substance that could be described as clay-like. The car has to be clean first. By gliding the bar over the surface using a suitable lubricant (yes, soapy water is fine), you can remove all of the non-visible surface contaminants. When I say non-visible, I mean stuff that isn't obviously present but does have an effect on the optics of the finish (i.e. makes it duller). Waxing over a dull surface will not make it as shiny as it otherwise could be.

The results are actually very good, but it does depend on the state of the paint surface in the first place. Most Ferraris won't benefit as much as a daily drive will because they are kept garaged and hence away from all the nasty things your daily drive is subjected to, just by being parked on the street.

Last time I clayed a car (and I used a Meguiars bar, not a Zymol one), I started with a clean bar and after doing an apparently clean bonnet I turned the bar over to find it was covered in dark brown filth.

It does make a difference to the finish. By running your fingers over the paint before and after claying, you can easily tell. It only really needs doing once, and on many Ferraris, it doesn't need doing at all, but if a job is worth doing...

Ric.

25. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    I said that tho less eloquently :D