Zymol aftercare | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Zymol aftercare

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by angelis, Sep 17, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Good work Sy, my turn while Chaa's down the pub eh :D

2. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    1,200 miles in 7 weeks.

:D

You are now permanently on my nemisis list.

:D

3. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Halleluyah

4. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Thats why I cleaned mine cos I got it dirty driving it and yes Zymol already smells lovely :D:D

5. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Which zymol are you using?

6. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b

7. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    Carbon but its nearly all gone :D

8. panterasteve

panterasteve Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    huddersfield
    Full Name:
    steve b
    how long it lasted then and how much rating out a 10 please old chap

9. barabus

barabus F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2004
    12 Cylinder Village
    Full Name:
    Si
    #34 barabus, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    5 years and 10/10

The Best Polish on EARTH!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 999plunger999

999plunger999 Rookie

Mar 16, 2005
    South Wales Republic
    Full Name:
    John Salmon
    Now before you guys tell me I should have bought a "red un" would like to share my experience with Zymol on black paintwork and any (positive) feed back welcome.

It streaks!!!!!! My mate in Halfords reckons this is very common indeed with all black paintwork and no neccesarily F cars. Great / brilliant for reds he states

He has never had any problem with the "M" polish on black which is the only one he recommends.

Sorry hope I'm not stealing the thread here. Too early in the morning to go searching Yawn Yawn

11. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    #36 stevep, Sep 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    My car is mettalic black and I don't have any problems with streaking. Best polish I've ever used, but then I've only really ever used Autoglym. :D

5 years!!! How big was your tub???

I'm going to get the Zymol sampler kit next which has:

# 113g Destiny Glaze
    # 113g Atlantique Glaze
    # 113g Vintage Glaze

Works out cheaper at only £190 and should last me a year or two.

13. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Should'nt yo be psyching yourself up and eating lots of carbs rather than logging on ........ you sad git!

Good luck in the run.

14. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Couple of points to note.

1) Halfords don't sell "proper" Zymol. I guess you could call it the Zymol "starter" range, or the stuff to market against the other bits Halfords sell.

2) You're probably using way too much. You need the tiniest amount of it, don't let it sit on the car for more than a few minutes and then buff it off. If you use too much, it's a bugger to buff up and...it streaks.

I'm not a fan of polishing my cars, but this stuff's great. I did a very amateurish job of Zymoling the 355 (don't worry Dave - you're still very much required!) before See Red. Our cars got filthy there with dust etc. Yesterday I decided I ought to wash it off so went to teh jet wash and just used cold water. Looks really good again.

As a treat for your car, get DB Valeting (Dave) to give your car a thorough treatment. You'll be amazed at how good the car looks, and you get a tub of proper Zymol to keep it going yourself, plus instruction/demo from Dave on how to do it.

15. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor
    On the meeting before See Red I saw a Richard's 360 (similar colour to mine - TDF Blue). Mine was Zymoled the previous day and his was having the Supagard treatment... the supagard looked so much better then the zymol, and, you are not supposed to zymol it afterward.

So I ended up doing Permagard on my car (following the article in Evo). For a £140 + vat I got a car with much better colour, and, no polishing, waxing or anything else. All ir need is renewing the treatment on a yearly base.

Plus, for extra £120 they do the glass and interior as well.

Only question, what am i going to do with the Zymol products I just bought :(

16. Dave Z

Dave Z Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    In customers garages
    Full Name:
    Davie B
    Sounds a bit strange to me too sy !, I certainly wouldn't recommend using the flash car wash as the make up of the wash solution is similar to washing up liquid (as posted on another thread but can't find it) and will kill the shine.
    your "clear" wash solution most definately will not effect the wax finish.
    Give it a top up with the wax that I left you and that should restore it and i'll bring you a water filter when I come over to put the royale on.

17. ZYMOL348

ZYMOL348 Karting

May 1, 2004
    Minehead Somerset
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rea
    Have you a website address for this super/permaguard please?

18. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    And do you have pictures?

I've seen this stuff advertised, but am pretty sceptical (but interested to see results over the course of a year)...how do you clean it between applications (cold water?)?

19. Dave Z

Dave Z Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    In customers garages
    Full Name:
    Davie B

Andy's right, the only reason you'd get streaks on a black car or any coloured car using Zymol is if you apply too much wax, its a common mistake , I suppose it comes from using previous brands where you slap it on thick and wait for it to dry, Zymol works best by applying a very small amount ,just enough to create a hologram effect , leave it a minute or two and then buff it in.

20. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
  21. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    It's not so much what it looks like now for me, but what it looks like after some use and after, say, 12mths on the car.

Whilst I'm new to the stuff (so forgive the evangelism), there are people on here who've been using Zymol for years and their cars look stunning (even if they never see fresh air :) ).

Permagard "doesn't contain wax" so I wonder what it does contain to give such a robust finish. And how that finish will look after a car's been used on salty roads, in the snow and in the summer...

22. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I just used the water filter part of the Flash system not the shampoo. So no need for another water filter. But thanks anyway. :D

Think I must be doing something wrong.

Going to give it another coat tomorrow.

PS. A couple of people had a look at my car and thought it was only a year or two old. That's how shiny the paintwork looked. :D :D :D :D

23. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I think it's due to the multiple levels of wax that's been applied to it. From what Dave told me, the more wax is applied to the car, the deeper the shine and the more protection. (Hence why dale's car is an 1" wider than a standard 348 :D)

I have'nt seen a red zymol'd car yet, but on my mettalic black one it looks very glassy and deep.

24. Carbonrider

Carbonrider Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Harpenden, Herts
    Full Name:
    The Mad Professor

Permagard:
    www.permagard.net

The Supagard I have seen apprently done by Startstone Jaguar in Luton. I have then number on my work email so can post them tomorrow.

25. Dave Z

Dave Z Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    In customers garages
    Full Name:
    Davie B
    Trying to offer as impartial advice as I can , and without mentioning the "Z" word, these chemical and/or polymer based protective coatings have been available for quite a few years now, available in different brand names such as supaguard, diamondbrite, auto glym life shine, permglaze etc.
    They do work and protect the paintwork from salt , tar and road grime etc.
    they basically form a shell over the paintwork which sets to leave a glaze like finish.
    When considering these as an option you have to look at what you want to achieve and what level of protection and shine you are after.
    The main problem for all modern day cars is bird droppings , as some of you will know , if you dont get it off within a few hours it can and will eat into your paint. so it's worth finding out what sought of protection they offer from that.
    A lot of these coatings come with a "guarantee" , some upto 10 years but does that guarantee include the dreaded bird poo.
    I think then you have to look at the finish /shine aspect and how its maintained, some offer a once a year application others like the auto gleam one can be maintained with there super resin wax. in my experience they all offer a better shine and more protection than just applying a standard wax.
    So if you want to protect the paintwork as well as putting a shine on the car they are a good option.
    as far as cost is concerned , most dealerships offer an option with prices ranging from £250 to £400, if thats a bit out of your price range , then the permglaze one sounds like a good price at around £120-£150.
    The only thing that I would say to watch out for is the long term effects of these coatings, over the last 7 and half years as a valeter and long before I got into Zymol (s*** I said it :D) I have been called out on a few occasions and been asked to remove them due to the top coats becoming scratched or the paint underneath them becoming oxidiised .
    Obviously we all have different feelings and ideas when it comes to maintaining our cars , some like polishing to a nice shine , some like a concours standard of finish and some just like to drive them and get them dirty.
    No doubt the debate of the best waxes/coatings will rage on forever but my advice would be to try them out and if you find one you're happy with then stick to it.