Zero to 99% of the speed of light or what is a Particle Accelerator? | FerrariChat

Zero to 99% of the speed of light or what is a Particle Accelerator?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by tuttebenne, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You opened this because either you have a nerdy side or just need a life. (Unless you're Vic or Sam in which case we KNOW its because you don't have a ... I mean, in which case we know they open all threads as part of their moderator responsibilities)

What is a particle accelerator? Well a few of us will be taking a run out to Brookhaven National Laboratory to find out. The lab is on eastern LI (exit 68 on the LIE) We are going this Sunday morning August 21, 2005

This link will tell you more about RHIC the lab's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (particle accelerator) and the lab itself.

http://www.bnl.gov/rhic/

I did this tour in 2004 with my son and it is awesome enough that I want to go back. Suffice it to say that anybody above the age of 7 who either:
    - finds physics interesting (no aptitude for physics necessary)
    - likes things that don't have admission charges (yes Sam it doesn't cost anything)
    - or just wants to see where Yale, MIT, Princeton, Columiba U., Harvard, and a few other universities invest their research dollars and scholars' internships,

will be impressed. This is a very unique opportunity to see inside the gates of a research faciity and a nice drive out east at the same time.

We will be getting there around 10:00 am.

2. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I opened this expecting I would not understand, and was not disappointed.

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sam,

Any interest in coming out with us? I think your son would find this place interesting and you might as well.

Andy

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I heard if we park our rides close enough, the extra particle doping will add about an average of 15hp to the top end :)

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just might

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Isn't a Ferrari a particle accelerator?

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    technically, yes. But not one the goverment is willing to fund- knowingly anyway :)