Zandvoort 2020? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Zandvoort 2020?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jun 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Neither are ranked very high on list of desirable cuisines:p

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't believe any previous owners of Brands Hatch did sell any of the circuit's land for housing. As the picture I posted previously showed, houses were there before the circuit was. Houses are in the same places now. There are just more of them.

Anyway, whilst I loved the Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in the past I would hate for the circuit to be destroyed simply in order to host a Grand Prix again now.

I really don't see how they are going to work this. Surely there isn't enough space in the paddock for all their silly paddock palaces and not enough space to enlarge it either? I'm afraid I only feel sad that they should choose to race at a circuit that is completely unsuitable for F1 and even sadder that this great circuit was ruined in the first place when they cut it in half to build houses. Mind you I am finding it harder and harder to care about F1 with each passing day and each tedious Mercedes walkover victory on mostly boring tracks with tyres made by a company that have no idea how to make decent F1 tyres and ever more stupid rules.

Sharknose and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Funny, last year I went to Haarlem with my sister, part of a day trip from Amsterdam, and I barely noticed Zandvoort on the map. I initially thought to go there to check it out but said "nah, it's probably some hours from here". Only I had forgotten how small the Holland is.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Some land around the Brands Hatch circuit was sold Under Brands Hatch Leisures (Foulston) and later Octogon ownership to finance some work and new facilities around the track.
    The picture on your post #52 shows a few buildings adjacent to the future GP circuit extention at the bottpom.
    Now there are rows of houses at that location which is densely populated on both sides of the N13 (as I believe this road is called).
    Furthermore, in the area on the right of the photo where is Westfild now several streets have been created and that place is also largely built.
    Finally at the top of the photo, where used to be an off-road school, rows of housing have also been built.
    Only on the left of the photo, the area is more or less intact and is used as the car park.

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Bas likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, even post Renault relationship Renault is still ****ing RBR....Gasly's engine just failed at the demo:D

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not surprising: hybrid F1 engines are not suited for demonstration, not only Renault engines, any engine.
    They are repeatedly over-revved, used for short bursts of acceleration, and receive hardly any cooling during that period.
    The engines are stressed, some components over-heat (turbo, exhaust manifold glowing red, etc ...), leading to failure and internal damages.
    It's mostly the lack of proper cooling that is the reason, that's why teams don't want any doughnuts in celebration.
    I read that any any exercise below a certain speed really jeopardises a hybrid engine.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's the V8 they're using in old chassis

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, my bad .
    These engines must be out of hours then, although the over-heating problem isn't unique to hybrid engines.
    I heard the mechanics hate anything that stresses the cars unnecessarily, like célébrations, démos, etc...because of the damage they do to the powertrain.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think your missing the point of my post...I'm just poking fun at the fact that the engine let go.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  11. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Well, yesterday I watched on Youtube the WTCR race and I must admit I am not anymore enthusiastic about F1 going to Zandvoort. The track has almost no overtaking points, even for the touring cars! Also, although it has awesome high speed turns, the matter of fact is that it will be very difficult for F1 cars to follow each other closely. Seems like it will be another boring GP like the Spanish one.

Bas likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Worse.

Think Hungaroring but schrunk by a roughly 15%. Track not as wide ('ring is already narrow), straight not nearly as long ('hring shorters after Monaco, by some margin), lots of fast corners that makes it impossible to follow.

Like I said, the qualifying will be awesome, everything else to be ****.

I've encouraged my mates to rent out their appartments for a weekend for a stupid amount (one has already rented his app out for 3 days at over 2K euro a day....and it's not even a good place!), take that money and go to a different GP AND the caribbean in december!

Flavio_C likes this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    So what's your prediction for the date (you show a sold out place, so I assume you have one)?

I booked a hotel in Amsterdam for the May 10 weekend.

Funny thing is, now that the Dutch also won the Eurovision Song Contest, there is yet another great reason for a trip to the Netherlands: F1 GP and ESC in one trip. Unreal!

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    May 10th as far as I know.

Eurovision. More reason to flee! :D:D:D

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well as a life long addict of ESC I see that a little different. :)

In fact I believe the ESC will be likely the weekend after the GP. So I'll be still in the Netherlands and should be able to get some of its festivities/hoopla. In fact over the past few years we always tried to time our Euro vacations during the ESC so we would have at least a chance to watch it on Euro TV. Last year it was broadcast in the States as well but not this year. :(

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Wow...a long life addict to the ESC? Really? No joke? That's leaving me speechless (No pun intended). Did not even know that such thing could exist...like we say in French "Et c'est grave, Docteur?" ("And is it bad, Doctor?")

Rgds

Bas and william like this.
  17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I've been watching the show religiously while living in Switzerland. Back then Europe had like 20 countries. Made ABBA and Celine Dion (pour la Suisse) world stars. When I moved to the US I lost contact until recently thanks to the Internet and live streaming. Obviously the show's style has changed over the decades but it still is pop at its best. I never knew this but the US music culture has a (deliberate?) barrier against anything from Europe. Here Rap and Country dominate, it is hard to find some decent pop music. Which is why on my trips to Europe I always load up on buying music CDs. Also my favorite Internet radio station is not surprisingly from France. Sadly ESC does not get much of a coverage over here. If at all it is just for its LBGTQ aspect (which is the part I couldn't care less about). I love pop music, what can I say?

Also please note that in most cases I hugely disagree with the outcome of ESC. But that's not the point. I'm not watching it for the winners but for the songs. My favorites rarely do well, but that's neither here nor there.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Pass me the sick bucket, I feel like vomiting reading this ....

Bas likes this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No words andreas....no words:eek:

20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Anyone old enough here can remember these ?

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Andreas ,hope you can eventually recover from this .:rolleyes:

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, to each his own, Andreas. That's a bit surprising, to be honest, but why not? I never could stand Johnny Hallyday here, hated the guy and his "music" but he had a lot of fans, so...music is a matter of taste.

Rgds

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup, I remember. What finally hooked me was Waterloo though.