Your Thoughts & Advice on Purchasing This '86 TR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your Thoughts & Advice on Purchasing This '86 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by slownrusty, Oct 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Hi, I recently bought a 512tr after having my heart set on a monospeccio.
    I flew around the country test driving cars over the summer, very few were what I would call well maintained. I also noticed this theme : The fun was had, the service came due and now it's time to sell...
    I wouldn't be put off buying a car that is just due for a service - at least you can choose who does the service and inspect everything for yourself. Some dealers perform the service "in house" which can be very good or shall we say not up to snuff....
    I was advised not to buy a car that needed repainting due to the high cost but do allow for some mechanical issues. I thought that was good advice because there are common issues these cars have that need to be rectified..
    I wish you all the best, some very helpful threads and experienced/knowlegable folks here...

2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The leather on this car has been re-dyed or sprayed. While the leather may look nice right now, I would be concerned about the longevity of the coloring spray. Anyone have good long term durability results with re-dyed/sprayed leather?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends who does it and the products they use. Very high quality is possible.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    From what I can tell my car was the last batch that came Into Canada In 1986 at the end of November, I have the standard 16 non TRX single bolt. Of the 1497 single mirror, single bolts produced, I wonder how many are really left in the world. I suspect many led a hard life just like the bb boxer , Dino, 308s before it. Much easier to find a cherry regular Testarossa, 512Tr and 512m.

5. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    I agree that these first cars are 30 years old and will need some restoration. I would buy it and expect to get a lot completed. If you have the money, then you won't regret it. Buy it and make it yours.

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I did my seats myself and they came out perfect so, it can be done and it will last. I took pics when I was doing it and now can't find them....bummed. Seats look like new. Longevity will not be a problem if you do it properly.

First, you take the seats completely apart...8 peices. Like any great paint job, PREP,PREP, PREP. Then, the key is VERY light mist sprays and use a hair dryer on low after each mist. This embeds the dye into the leather and NOT paint it on. If you put on gobs, it will look like crap and it will crack. Repeat misting it as necessary.

Personally, I love the flying mirror which is what I set out to find. Like Big red says, they stand out even with other TRs around. I have been asked a few times where I bought the cool mirror.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Rick, were the early TR like the single Mirror imported to Canada as gray market? My understanding is that the first Canadian production cars were 1990 with VIN starting with ZFFSM.

????

8. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    I would buy this car even if it has a deferred maintenance problem as it can negotiated in price and you can have work done yourself to your liking

9. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I believe that most people would agree. However, if the dealership is NOT interested in negotiating the price, would you still buy it?

The real question about these rough TRs in the market is whether the rising water (price increase) has lifted all the boats, or whether there are still some that are at low tide. Judging by dealerships, they seem to be optimistic in their view (and why wouldn't they be?).

10. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Exactly, I am finding people unwilling to negotiate despite the fact they have deferred maintenance for over a decade.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That is not the way it works on a Testarossa.

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Early TRs were not gray market here. I was told wait times were over 2 hrs back then.

If you are 50 , or 55 and a point in your life where the car you wanted is now within reach you have a limited window to pull the trigger. If a 50 yr old wanted a single mirror because he was 20 and in college and that car was the super car to have, guess what .... He is buying.
    There are more factors than just price for the many on fchat that only peddle price on a car.

13. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Care to explain? I am not suggesting or implying the 930 engine drop and Testarossa is the same. The point I was trying to make was that many 930 owners will pay $XXX for an engine drop or re-seal at a shop, and I am comfortable with tackling this at home.

Rifledriver - how do you know the 43k miles are not real [odometer change]?

Well said!

I recently rebuilt the leather seats in my 560SEC, by buying new pre-stitched leather skins, horse hair and foam bolsters (to make the seats less "lazy boy" and more aggressive) and then I cleaned and re-packed the electric motors. It was quite an undertaking but well worth the effort (took about 45 hours all said).

At this time, I am going to keep looking for a car with less miles and better overall / physical condition.

14. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
  15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Looks to be a euro by the VIN , and no 3rd break light.

Therefore, the ODO has been converted, and the US side markers added, wonder when it got here in NA.

16. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I remember investigating this car before I bought mine and believe this car also spent some time in Mexico before coming back to the states

17. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    So I wonder how many actual miles are on this car?

The paint and overall physical appearance indicates something in the 50-60k range for mileage, the car photographs well but upon closer inspection you can clearly see the patina and scratches, dents from being driven.

I am bidding on it currently although there is some game playing going on with the bids...sadly.

18. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I hope it works out well, but I also think there may be better cars out there.

Seems to me that dealers have the price point of around $85k for a testarossa, and thus this one is listed at a discounted price of $65k. While both Haggerty and myself feel this is rather optimistic, dealerships have been known to see a rainbow around every corner when it comes to pricing their cars.

Perhaps cold weather will tone down their pricing, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Th

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Well, despite all the negative comments about it, I went ahead and bought it ;)

20. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Shouldn't of sold that nice single mirror car cover Stephane! Nice purchase!
    Jeff

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    LOL! I need another one now. Good luck finding one.

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Stephan, do you know what happened to your Miami Vice TR? I did a quick 'in person' inspection at the Copart facility in Van Nuys....it was 'totaled' for some reason.

Im sure you whip this one into shape in no time.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Correct. Seems like a candidate for a substantially lower offer.

24. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    That's what I also found out, it had a salvaged title. Quite sad. That was one nice Miami Vice car......

25. slownrusty

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Congrats on the purchase. I was the eBay high bidder on the car and when Lambo Houston cancelled the auction, I called Lambo Houston and Raj mentioned that they had a buyer already lined-up (I presume yourself).

Good luck on bringing the car back to its former glory, as it appears to have good bones.