Your Opinions Please | FerrariChat

Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Flatcap, Nov 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flatcap

Flatcap Rookie

Nov 3, 2006
    Barnsley, S Yorks.
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Some time early next year I'm giong to get myself my first Ferrari. However, my budget is a little limited, £15-20K or £20-25K at a push. I've too much tied up in other things at the moment so this is kind of set in concrete.

I'd like your opinions on what you think I could go for as I'm curious.

My options and what I like for the money I have to use are:

Mondial QV
    308 GT4
    328 GTB
    Or save up a bit more and get a 355???

What do you think guys, it doesn't necessarily have to be mint as I can work on it myself. Infact, with what I have to spend I appreciate it probably won't be.

I'd like you thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

Darren.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Over in the 328 & 348 areas there are a few threads about which to buy - do you need four seats ? If not then since you don't list a 308 GTS/GTB go for a 328 GTS/GTB - the exception is if you like the looks of the 348 and are prepared for the possibility of higher bills - if so then drive one and decide

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I had a 328 GTS prior to the 355 great car and if your budget can stretch to it go for that.

4. Bronco Jr

Bronco Jr Guest

I love my 328 - found it to be bullet proof...

But - if your limited budget also extends to servicing then its another question...

all of your list can be home maintained if you've the skill, tools etc. But its my view that this will reduce a cars value - not everyone agrees and its just a point of view.

Also, everything on your list is going to be at least 25 years old - things do go wrong

My 328's up for belts and valves this year - thats going to be a £1500 bill (there or there abouts) dont underestimate the costs and for goodness sake, dont skimp on keeping it right

just my thoughts

5. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    I would also say 328, but don't think you'll get one within your budget. You might be a high milage left hooker. You didn't mention 308 GTS, how about one of those?

Edit to say £15k - £20k is high milage left hooker. For 25k you should be able to get a good RHD 328.

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Another vote for the 328, perfect Car for entry into Ownership, still miss mine today

7. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Agreed re the 328. I dont think you will get a good 348 for your budget.

8. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Go for a 308 QV with deep front spoiler, far better looking front end than the 328 and the interior has all the right retro switchgear, bet everyone knew I was gonna say that though :D

9. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I agree.

Good 348's are around the high £20's/low £30's.

308 & 328 would be a lot cheaper to service and easier for you to work on.

10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Whatever you buy you need to allow at least £3K in the first year to insure it & service it + put some stuff right. There is always stuff that needs putting right on the older cars. So your budget is a maximum of £22K unless you have some more tucked away to cover this. On the older cars the initial sort out can often mean bodywork & that can get seriously expensive. The mechanicals are never too difficult to sort out (sometimes expensive but not difficult) but if you buy a rust bucket -- that could be a nightmare.

IMO £22k is just about enough to get you a decent 308 or a very good Mondial or GT4. Its not enough for a decent 328 but it might buy you a ratty left hooker or a very ratty 348 which would then cost a fortune to sort out & a good deal more to run. A 355 is much further out still.

308s/GT4/Mondial & 328s will all cost about the same to run. 348 & 355 running costs are of an entirely different order of magnitude. Insurance costs will be significantly higher as well.

Best advice would be that if you really want to own a Ferrari, don't buy a car that you really can't afford to run or to maintain properly. Not only will you have to watch your pride & joy getting ratty which would be quite depressing, but you will also kill its resale value.

I.

11. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    All good points above. I would add that you should either find someone who knows their Ferrari's to help whilst looking or better still get out there and see as many cars as you can - even if you arn't about to buy the more you see the more you learn what to look for.

I spent a fair while looking for a 355 and looked at many (at least 30) until I found the one I wanted. Even main dealer cars sitting in showrooms had issues they hadn't resolved.

In my opinion (and as I have said elsewhere), given the taxation level of the little yellow box's from Maranello ;) you need to be extremely careful buying a 355 (especially for less than £35K) and then you should plan to spend £5000 a year on running it (it hopefully wont be that much - but some money in the bank each year will go towards the biggy as and when).

When I bought my 355 it was mint but I still spent £2100 straight away on a service which uncovered some "normal running costs" whilst the engine was out. Stuff like water pump bearing play = new kit £150, leaking shock = rebuild £200, replaced knackered cats with pipes = £200 (knew about that one, grey powder in tailpipes) - these are minor things on a 355 that would be relatively major on a "normal car" given the numbers involved.

I used to love 308's when I was a kid, until I drove one! For me the handling and driving position is too odd pre-348 so I would def test drive one before buying. The 348 and 355 are still a bit odd (355 much better handling than 348)...but I am also dissappointed by the 360 as it just feels "normal" - everyday car etc. So I guess if I like the quirky nature of the 355 others would say same for 308's etc.

Go look, test em and find out for yourself which mould you drop into :D but which ever you chose welcome to the club of mad people (we must be) ;)

12. Flatcap

Flatcap Rookie

Nov 3, 2006
    Barnsley, S Yorks.
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Many thanks for the input guys it's much appreciated, I actually thought I'd listed a 308 but I obviously didn't - LOL!

Just a couple of answers to some of the points you've raised.

Maintenance - not that big an issue as I'm a mechanic by trade and have spent around 25 years building and restoring cars of all kinds, Cooper S's, all model Ford RS's, Lancia Delta Integrale's and my current rally car which is a Prodrive built Group N Impreza WRX.

Bodywork - my brother has run his own bodyshop for 35 years so there's a jig, bay, paint mixer and booth whenever I need it.

Insurance - I have a traders policy. Some of the cars I detail are £250K plus so I make sure I'm covered for any exotics on my policy, which would also include any of my own. However, I may look at putting it on a classic, limited mileage policy if I get a 308/328. It'll be a garage queen that's for sure!

I think 308/328 is the route, it's my first venture into the world of Ferrari ownership so I think it would be a good start. Mechanically easier to look after and I'm not going to bust my bank or go bottom end 348 and buy a rat!

Thanks again guys.

Regards.

Darren.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    In customers garages
    Full Name:
    Davie B
    #13 Dave Z, Nov 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, I'd go for that aswell :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Totally agree with you.

When people call a car "mint" they tend to refer to things such as the paintwork, leather, engine and gearbox

What most people fail to consider are the other unseen components like rads, shock absorbers etc. The cars are old and things wear out and need to eb replaced. that's when ££££ needs to be spent.

15. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    All the above will help a lot. 308/328 is going to be easier to work on for sure. However, you are going to find parts prices entertaining! :D

For instance, if you decided to replace the Ignition leads (and extenders) on a 328, plus the dizzy caps (there are two) and the rotor arms....what do you think it will cost?

£100?

£250???

£500???

Try

£180 per cap
    £67.50 per Rotor arm
    £123 per side for ignition leads
    £5.50 x8 for the plug extenders

Total £785....just to replace caps, rotors & plug leads.

(prices from Eurospares.co.uk - basically the same as Ferrari direct)

Oh and 328 brake disks are about £300 a pair

Some of these things can be bought for less if you keep your eyes open - but not much less. Fortunately they don't need replacing that often but the point is that you need to have a very good look at even what you might think is trivial stuff on any cars you look at.

Good hunting.

I.

16. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Save for the 355. Better looking and faster.

17. Ricard

Ricard Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Donington Park
    Full Name:
    Richard C
    See, I told you we are all mad. :D

18. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    problem is when you want one you have just got to get it!!

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Yep I would still be saving and missing out of F ownership. The way I look at is the Ferrari you buy at this age will not depreciate too much. You can ignore running costs as they would apply to any car you bought to some degree anyway.

So you may wait a little longer for the car of your dreams (355) by buying a different Ferrari but you will enjoy the wait ;)

20. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Don't fancy yours much - looks like a right shed :D