Your Opinions on this 1991 348TS for sale . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your Opinions on this 1991 348TS for sale . .

Discussion in '348/355' started by 2DUCKS, Feb 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That 348 was posted on Fchat a few months ago. It is truly like new. Not the color the thread originator is looking for. Unique for sure though! I was thinking of this car the other day as a potential candidate, but for some reason I thought it was red. I guess the interior color stuck to my brain more than the exterior. Thanks for posting the link.
    BT

2. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The motorcars International car (91 348 TS 8572 miles) was on my short list when I decided to buy my 94 Spider a few very short weeks ago. A local multiple Lamborghini owner (ralfabco here on fchat) under no uncertain terms assured me M.I. can be trusted. He has bought from them sight unseen (anniversary Countach I believe) and recommended them highly. That car in question is probably one of the finest you could find as far as 91TSs go.

If I were to buy it I would get a flight out to their location, have the car PPI'd for $500 - once it passes hand them a check for whatever you agree to pay for the car (call them, they get plenty of emails I am sure) and drive that beyatch to the house...actually, I'd probably wimp out and fly back and have the car shipped to the house.

Alternatively, do like I did and post in the classic section exactly what you are looking for and some fchatter will sell it to you. My post was:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91297

I think my selection criteria was a little more exact then yours is now but I ended up busting my top end budget and got a newer car then I planned to buy (not that I am complaining). Although aesthetically my Spider is not likely as nice as that M.I. 348 TS my Spider was local, fchatter owned, serviced by a mechanic I know (Norwoods in Dallas) and I did not have to pay dealer markup. I expected to have to wait many months to find an acceptable deal. I was going to let M.I. sit on that 348 for a while before talking to them about it.

M.I. Car would be very high 40s from an individual I believe. I am betting M.I. will tell you to pack sand for any offer under 55k...maybe 53k if they are having a rough day. If it is as perfect as it looks it may well be worth 59k.

You will be happy when you join the 348 brotherhood. If you can afford it, the 348 seems to be an unbelieveable bang for the buck. And now the prices seem to have stabilized. Fingers crossed that they go up AGAIN next year.

Good luck,

-Mike

3. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    Khanh,

Welcome aboard!

I was just at Stanford European. Did you see the red/black 348ts there? Pretty good shape - but certainly not concours/immaculate. They're asking $70K (I'm sure there's room for negotiation).

Keep an eye on the NorCal section for local activities/get togethers...

And good luck in your search!!

4. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Oh my!

What a beauty that black 348TB with Red Leather Interior and only 133 miles! I talked to my friend about this (he will likely go with me to view/purchase a vehicle and act as my adviser). This is the kind of car condition I'm looking for and would be willing to pay a fair premium. I'm willing to make a few compromises here and there for something this unique. However, after much agonizing, I have to tell myself, you need a Red Ferrari! Red, red, red! Now had that been a Targa top, I might have seriously considered it. But it was just way out of my specs (not Red, not Targa Top). Thanks for sharing that with us Mark!

Thanks Christopher for your input. I like that car, but the mileage is a little bit on the high side for me. I'm afraid at that level of mileage, the interior will suffer in terms of 'newness.' Let me see how I feel tomorrow and send Mr. Jones an inquiry for some high-res photos of the interior.

Thanks for pointing that out Bill. I saw a post from another F-chat person who just picked up a 348 Series Speciale not so long ago and also in CA. Wow, those are nice seats in that special. I can live without the lower valences being painted black as long as the vehicle is Red and the interior is pristine.

Thanks for your input Mike. I might just give MI a call and be willing to give them the asking price for it if (1) they would be willing to ship the car to the St. Louis Ferrari dealership (about 200 miles away) for a PPI that I would arrange for and pay and for my visual inspection. (2) And upon successful PPI and my approval of all that is advertised visually (they say it is the best of the best) they would be willing to pay for shipping the vehicle back to CA and paying my roundtrip airfare to get there. Would that be reasonable? Good ideal Mike. I'm going to post what I want in the classic section and maybe an Fchatter would want to step up.

Thanks Rick. I did look at that 348 in Palo Alto. The interior is ok and it was black leather - something I'm not too fond of.

If anyone else knows of any other pristine, low mileage 348's for sale like the link above, do tell. I'm sure every 348 owner/potential owner would love a peek!

5. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #30 VTChris, Feb 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

How's this interior? Maybe I'll sell you mine :)

No, not yet, still lovin it.
    good luck w/ your search, that is half the fun...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ciao Bello 348

Ciao Bello 348 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2005
    The Garden State, US
    Full Name:
    John C
    $59,000 for a 1991 TS 348??? And people give me shyt about $69,800 for a 1995 Spider. Im givin mine away based on their asking.

$59k is way too much for a 1991 TS, im sorry but thats my opinion.

Like that 512M they have on that site. Maybe we can work out a two car deal.

7. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    Well the story on my car is pretty simple. I have owned it 3 times now. The first time I sold it to a good friend of mine who is on this board from time to time. He now has an F355 because his wife didn't like the stick shift, so he got an F1.

I got the car back from him, then I sold it to a fellow in PA. When he bought the car he had me paint the roof, add the pedals and put the stick on shields on there. He is now moving on to 12 cylinders.Between the two of them they only put about 5k miles on it in 3-4 years.

I have driven about a tanks worth of gas in the car in the last few days. As of this morning it had about 21,500 miles. The car runs like a champ and all that is wrong with it is the center console is getting a little bit sticky, and they all do that as we all have learned. The outside is great and the mechanics are tip top and I have the records.

This is not a super low mile cream puff, but it is a lower mile very well sorted and documented car with a good service history and no funny business. I won't BS you, if you are looking for a super perfect cavallino classic car then mine is not for you, but if you are looking for a 99% car that you can drive, we should talk!

Ciao'

Steve
    http://www.sportauto.cc/inventory_ferrari/feb06fer91red348/index.htm

8. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Thanks Steve your response.

I'm sure the vehicle is in good working order and is a driver's car. Unfortunately, I'm a little anal about things, and for me to be happy, I'm going to need the interior to be in a 'like new condition.' I'm looking to keep this car forever.

My fantasy is to find a car where the owner just bought it, rode it around here and there and stored it. Or an owner who just felt a lot of pride for the vehicle and pampered the thing to death and is now ready to move on with something else. In other words, garage queens, is ok by me and is something I would prefer.

I love your web site, by the way and am always checking for new things that you guys have.

9. N24RE

N24RE Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2003
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Jones
    My car is a drivers car, and that is not a bad thing. Now for the person looking for the garage queen I suggest you keep doing what you are doing...look every where and be patient.

I have had a couple of garage queen cars and frankly they have been a pain in the rear. Now that being said you can't beat them from a looks stand point and with enough money and time you can get them to run like a champ. I guess what I am trying to say is that with a queen you spend more for the car then you will spend more on that first service getting all the round parts round again and the dryed out parts replaced.

Good luck with your search!

Steve

PS...I have an 88 TR with 300 miles on it currently and I would be scared to start it! But it looks like it just came out of the factory

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The interior of that car looks great to me. My 89 suffers from some slight bolster wear on the drivers seat, and an uninvited guest put a nice scratch in the passenger seat leather while I was at dinner one night. Pictures typically hide any small defect, but to me the car at Sportauto looks like new.
    BT

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Unfortunately, 348 interiors wear more than other models. Some years ago I bought a like new 1500 mile 348. I was disappointed that at 5K miles, the seats were looking pretty worn. And I am easy on cars. My current 328 which looked new when I got it with 7K miles still shows almost no wear at 20K. But, just be patient, you'll find what you want.

Dave

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just a thought, but leather in an open car after 15 years isn't going to look new unless it has sat covered in a climate-controlled garage since new. In that case I think you'll get a perfect interior, but a leaky engine with possible internal corrosion due to moisture.

You can have the interior redone, I'm guessing $4K-$5K for a quality job. Leather doesn't last forever, even high quality leather, and Ferrari seems to have used really average quality, surface-dyed hides in these cars. This is NOT a Bentley or Jag interior.

I have seen open Daytona's and 246's with amazingly restored, show-quality interiors. I plan to do that with my 328 eventually - it has a few scuffs on the driver's bolster but the interior basically looks great. I'll get it restored to perfection in a couple of years, once I'm sure this car is my ultimate keeper.

13. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Went through pretty much the same scenerio...360, 355, then 512 and finally a 348. Even with all the dialouge etc on the 348 I wasn't "skeered". I like the cheese grater look, screams Ferrari.

I got a 91 with 10.9K miles, red/tan and the interior was perfect (no stickies, no wear etc.) with a good service history. Had the dealer add the Tubi, cover and shields and I was right at the number from M.I.

The only reason I didn't get the M.I. one was more distance from me with the cars being equal. For what your criteria is I'd look closely at that one.

Of course since appropriating I have added the Hyperflow Cats and within the month a set of the larger diameter Ronal wheels. Hence, I'm as upside down as an eskimo boy can be but so be it...toys,they make the world go round.

Good luck in the search.

14. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Pics??

15. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I think I can do that....

16. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Hmmm, maybe not. How do you skinny them up...says it's to big.

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Download magic image resizer from the net and set the resolution for 640. It will make copies of the files you select in a sudirectory.
    BT

18. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    Hello my friends:

I'm been swamped at work trying to get this and that done that I have neglected to update this thread in the last few days.

Well, the MI car is now sold so there is nothing more to do with that. I just couldn't get the time off to go make a trip out to their site for a visual inspection. If Sport Auto was closer to me, I would make an effort to go and view their inventory as well. Time is really tight for me to make these out of state trips to view a vehicle. I'm just hoping a vehicle shows up for sale that is within my surrounding area.

Today, Saturday, I was in the office for most of the day but manged to make an appointment to view a vehicle (94 348 Spyder) that was 40 miles away from me. The owner advertised this car as pristine as you can get, with only 8000 miles. 2nd owner. No dings, scratches, rock chips, etc. However, needed to get belt change. No biggie. I asked, how pristine is this car? I'm a particularly picky person and don't want to see a sticky center console or worn out leather seats. Owner assures me, this is the vehicle for me. All right. I go.

So I get there. Nice car. Body work is good. Engine comparment extremely clean. Front of the vehicle show a few signs of rock dings, but ok, I can look the other way. Interior show signs of a vehicle that should have 20-30K miles on it and not the 8K miles that the odometer reads. Sticky center console. Both leather seats shows a fair amout of wear for an 8K mile car. What the ?&$^#*#? This interior you call pristine and in new condition? Give me a break. I don't want to argue with the guy, but at least tell me the truth so it would save me from having to make an 80 mile round trip to inspect a vehicle that was not truthfully advertised.

Lesson learned. What I got out of today's experience is this: Show me some high-res photos of the interior before I make a planned trip anywhere. He did send me some photos, but hard to make out. One persons definition of pristine is not the same as your own.

And finally the most important lesson learned was this: I like the 348 Spyder. It is a beautiful car. However, I will need to see a vehicle with my own eyes before I would even consider doing a PPI on the mechanicals. I cannot buy sight unseen or just via photos. And since free time is lacking on my part, the vehicle needs to be somewhere closer to home.

I now have a few more cars I would consider purchasing, if the car is well taken cared of, both mechanically and excellent 'concourse' cosmetic condition. I'm willing to seriously consider 348/355 T-Top. Or 348/355 Spyder. However, vehicle needs to be Red/Tan Interior.

To help clear confusion on the seller's part, would it be better to state what I'm looking for as this: "I'm looking to buy a concourse quality vehicle. Is the vehicle being advertising of concourse quality, both mechanically and cosmetically?" Maybe even add, "would this vehicle be capable of winning best in it's class?"

Also, what I'm finding out is a car with many owners seems to be less cared for on the interior side. I've seen cars with 2, 3 and 4 owners. This point seems to make a difference in the show quality of the vehicle. I have yet to find a vehicle for sale within my area that is a one person owner. I'm just generalizing folks, I'm sure there are very good condition show cars that have had multiple owners, but I haven't been that lucky yet. Any comments on this?

Well, if anyone has any leads as to a Red/Tan 348/355 T-Top or Spyder in 'Show Quality' condition that has a chance of winning a concourse show, please advise.

Cheers!

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think to ask an owner for high res photos is a good idea. Make sure to specify that you want pictures of the drivers and passenger side bolster and bottom cushions. If you let it known you want a show quality vehicle you can weed out a few potential sellers.
    You can also just get new seat covers installed. The factory leahter is the same as from GAFF I think (I researched it about a year ago), and the seat cover set is only about $1800. If you have a local upholsterer or auto trim shop do the install, you will probably be in it for a total of around $2500 for a truly new seat surface. Keep your eyes on the forum here, you will find the right car eventually. I would expect to allow about 6 months to find the right car.
    Good Luck!
    :)
    BT

20. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    #45 Dale, Mar 5, 2006
    Dont quite understand the garage queen bit,mines quite nice and you can drive it round the planet and it would give no problems at all,i dont use it that much but when i do i thrash the crap out of it and it love's it:D
    and its for sale but the steering wheels on the wrong side for you guys:D

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Again, the leather in these cars isn't very good - which is counterintuitive because, well, it's a Ferrari, right? It's possible the seller was lying about the mileage, but bolsters do wear faster than you'd think. You're right, you want a concours quality garage queen.

BT348's post above is good advice. Get those high-res photos (Steve Jones from Sport Auto sent me a full set, including from underneath the car while it was on the lift, before I bought my 328), and if you're an absolute perfectionist plan on replacing the leather.

22. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

watch out, odometer rollback is very common, ive got 40K on my 348 and the only thing wrong is the bolster shows a little wear, other than that interior looks like new

23. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g

OMG, what on earth do you do to keep the undercarriage that clean??? wow! you car looks impeccable!

john

24. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    thank's john just try to keep it dry and stick on the ramp and give it a wipe over,its not bad for a 1990 car,the only none factory part is the sports exhaust just sounds great when its being thrashed:D

Dale.

25. 2DUCKS

2DUCKS Karting

Feb 20, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    K
    #50 2DUCKS, Mar 5, 2006
    I checked out your car. It looks great! The interior looks great as well. It is just too bad you're on the wrong side of the pond from me!

I was thinking about something. i have a close friend who goes along with me during these visual inspections. Last night I asked him, "Am I being unreasonable about what I'm looking for?" He assures me the 94 348 Spyder's interior looked worn for just an 8K mile vehicle. Everything else was great. The owner just didn't take care of the interior as both driver/passenger bolsters were heavily worn out. And the driver seat had too much wear for such a low mileage vehicle. I'm familiar with the odometer being pulled out and would hope my mechanic doing the PPI would be able to better advise me as to the true mileage based on his findings. So that I wasn't too worried about. However, the owner wanted $69K for it and would not budge. He was basically, take it or leave it. So I left.

I just haven't been fortunate enough to find a vehicle where I say, "this is what I'm looking for, now I'm going to get a hold of my mechanic to do a PPI".

Well my search continues. This is offically month two of my search. If the 6 month statistics prove correct, I should have a vehicle by June/July 2006. Otherwise, I'm going to be heading to the Monterey Concourse Show and taking along a lot of business cards and passing them out to vehicles I would consider purchasing if the owner was willing to part with it!

I had a few memebers of this board pass me some interior shots of the vehicle they picked up. Wow, just gourgeous! Boy they are lucky dogs!

Here is one example: