your FF delivered by a chopper... awsome | Page 3 | FerrariChat

your FF delivered by a chopper... awsome

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by NaeemT, Mar 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well first of all the cars Ferrari design don't have to be so flippin huge?. Have a look at a Mazda RX8. Why couldn't the 599 be that size?, and same laws apply regarding safety, etc.

So yes okay with the 612 and FF being huge, but the 599 is just a 2 seater so should be the size of a 2 seater, not a full sized 4 seater car.

This highlights the problem with these overly large engines. With modern bore sizes a 6 litre v12 is a very long engine, but a 3 litre (or 1.5 litre) would be a lot shorter. Because the engine would be shorter it will be lighter and also the car it is designed for would be lighter because it would not need such a huge engine bay and thus long chassis members.

The whole drive train could be lighter because they would not have truck like torque to deal with and the result would be a lighter car, yes not as light as we used to have but maybe around 1200kg's (instead of 1688 kg's for the F599).

They really have gone this direction for lazy drivers who want lazy performance, ie. no longer are people prepared to carry corner speed, thus they need torque to make up for their lack of ability ... IMO.
    Pete

2. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    And Ford (RS),
    And Porsche (959),
    And Audi....(take your pick).

AND...Dare I say...Subaru?

I think AWD will make it's way into the Ferrari line as well.
    As mentioned it is a natural progression for managed horsepower and torque application.

Burn outs are cool and all...but they don't produce good laptimes.

3. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    How dare you like the FF?! Go express your opinions in a different forum! There's a time and place for everything! Why would you think this forum is the right place to express an opinion about the FF?? What are you thinking?? :rolleyes:

It is an ugly car. Flame away. ;)

4. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    Gorgeous car. I can't wait to test drive.

5. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    LOL!!! :)

6. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I don't understand your comment to be honest. The FF engine is one of the highest hp/litre non turbo in the market. Ferrari has been doing for a few years now non turbo engines that have more than 100hp/ litre. To do anything with a 3 litre v12 they would need to turbocharge it and they are not ready to do so as they prefer non turbo engines.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #57 DeSoto, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    Well, you can´t charge 300k$ for a car with 250 hp. Today there are hatchbacks with that amount of power for 30k.

I don´t find anything interesting in a 250 hp hatchback, but that´s another story.

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    So, it went like this?

Amedeo: "Hey guys, develop an AWD system for the Quattroporte."

2 years later....
    Engineer: "Hey Amedeo, we got that AWD system done for the Quattroporte"
    Amedeo: "That's great. Ah hell, we don't have any engines in the Maserati lineup that need AWD. What the hell, send it over to Ferrari, they can probably use it."

Sorry for the hijack.

Jimmy

9. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Who knows why it happened the way it did, maybe there were other plans for the Quattroporte that changed. If Maserati decides to build an SUV then maybe there will be a version of it there.

10. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    I agree. The FF system is so innovative why are people so negative. Celebrate a true step forward for super cars. I was told that the Maser SUV if it goes into production would have the Jeep V6 fettled as a base and a Ferrari derived V8 as tops mated to Quadtrac I do not see the FF system being conventional off road capable due to it's lack of mechanical connections.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't see the need for a 600+ hp road car, that was my point really. A 3 litre producing say 400hp is well and truely fast and fun enough.

Otherwise we are just playing keeping up with the Jones', when it really should be about the quality of the driving experience not who is the fastest (a completely pointless and unwinable exercise).
    Pete

12. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While I whole heartedly agree with you Pete the market doesn't seem to agree. The Lotus Evora has been praised as the one of the best, if not the best, drivers cars currently available and everyone who drives it thinks it has sufficient power (although more is always nice)... but noone buys them "because they only have 280hp"...

But I do want a 3l V12 :D

13. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I say keep power levels up but downsize engines, it looks to be a better possiblity with today's tech. So what if I want everything? ;)

14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    You're comparing my comments to bdelp to my reaction to subirg's comment to NaeemT about this thread. Why?

You think my response to subirg was about him not liking the FF? No, it was about someone going out of their way to piss on someone else's parade. The dude was stoked about pics of an F-car being dropped off by freaking military helicopters. That's pretty cool no matter what Ferrari was inside and weather you like the car or not. I thought it was poor manners immature and beside the point like your comment "flame on". You mis the point of manners respect and etiquette, not weather or not someone shares my opinion. Comments like this and threads like "Does FF stand for Freaking Fugly" are as in poor taste as my starting a thread in the 355 section talking about what a piece of **** I think the car is (I do not feel this way. Just an analogy.) because of service costs, or valve guides, or headers or whatever my OPINION is. Perhaps you would understand my point better if I started expressing my views on the performance issues of the 1980 308 GTSI.

I love the "Howard Stern" affect the FF is having on people. The people who hate the damn thing stare longer and get more worked up than the people who love the thing.

I and I'm sure many others are glad you don't manufacture cars. The only color choice would be black or white.

15. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Wait, you're preaching manners and etiquette?? Am I getting that right?? lol And I'm pretty sure that having a 308 is better than not having a Ferrari at all ;)

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes, you did get that right. To you the 1980 GTSI is better than not having a Ferrari. Enjoy.

17. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Well practice what you preach then. Some day when you actually have a Ferrari, you'll be in a better position to talk smack.

Now to get back on point, the FF is a hideous car :D

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I do, and have practiced exactly as I've "preached" as you say. I did and have not talked smack. You clearly do not understand the point. Good luck to you.

19. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    No I don't because your point is pointless. This forum is for little more than sharing information and OPINIONS. Get it? Got it? Good.

20. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Calling Dr.StrangeLove... :)

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    There's been a thread started sharing my point. Maybe you it's point as well.

Calling the Dr. to help you?

22. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Are you going to throw a tantrum because people think the FF is a piece of crap? :D

23. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Let's see a picture of your Ferrari that you claim to own that you never seem to have mentioned owning before from what I can see. From what I can see, it only looks like you mentioned that you were thinking of buying some 8-year old Land Rover.. Let's see the f-car..? :rolleyes:

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Maybe that is more a reaction to Lotus?. I'm sure if Ferrari built a smaller engined car it would sell.

Pete

25. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #75 DrStranglove, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017