Your favorite Turn on a North American race track and why! | FerrariChat

Your favorite Turn on a North American race track and why!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Cavallino Motors, Mar 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Starting off first:

Sebring 17
    Cannot get the turn right. 6 years later and still not proper. You ride it one way in one car and different in another and never quite get it so you feel 100% sure that was what it was supposed to be. Absolutely love it. Also the turn where I usually pass most people during a race :) Grab the steering wheel with one hand and your balls with the other and hang on for the ride :D

2. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I've always liked the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Very unique turn, nothing else like it.

3. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I would have normally said turn 9 at Riverside, but Riverside is no more. So, I'll have to go with turn 6 at Watkins Glen.

4. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    corkscrew at laguna seca. i don't think there's anything like it anywhere. a fast run up the hill to a blind right hander a quick set up and brake for the wicked left drop off then through and out. breathtaking.

5. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    There is a part on Phillip Island in Australia is pretty close to the one at Laguna Seca, but LS is in my top 5 for sure.

6. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Road America is the first one that comes to mind - Canada Corner - sharp right hander requiring massive braking - it's an awesome place to watch qualifying. I like Road America because it reminds me much of Spa.

Carol

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think its called Madness (Michael??) at Mid Ohio. Sooner or later, everybody screws up here. But from a spectator/photog point of view, 1st turn Spa, or 1st turn Monaco

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Totally agree!

9. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    Mosport turn 2...off camber downhill left where the car goes light at the crest and then hunkers down and grips at the bottom. Used to be there was a frost heave on the left side of the track that would kick a formula car slightly sideways and into a perfect attitude for the downhill slide. Do it right and you are lined up perfectly for turn 3. Fast, scary with extreme gains if done correctly and strong consequences if done wrong. I've done it both ways...

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't have the experience that most of you do. However, I have been fortunate enough that most of my limited experience has been of Laguna Seca.

But, I must admit I don't understand the props for the corkscrew. To me it is fairly straight forward: Clear the hill, brake like a sonofafemaledog, slide around the apex, stick to the right and go.

Turn 9 is another story. Come on, just how lucky do you feel? The story is: touch brakes to give some grip to the front, make one turn of the wheel, and then floor it.

Turn in too early and you end up in the gravel on the track out. Moreover, you end up in the gravel going really, really fast. This is one turn where you never want to lift. The Skippy instructors were quick to point out all the tire snakes spinning off to the left -- into the wall -- backwards.

Turn in too late or hesitate on the gas, you get passed by somebody who didn't.

There is a reason that T9 is called Rainey's corner.

Of course, after T9 there is T10. If you nail T9, you're gonna get really big eyeballs at T10.

But there's more, nail T9 and T10, then you have T11 looking you in the face.

Remember: The shinny side is supposed to go up and the rubber side is supposed to stay down.

Dale

11. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

You beat me to it.

Though, I'd phrase it along the lines of "do it wrong and you may die".

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I sort of like the last turn at Road Atlanta.

Speaking from a racing driver perspective, there is nothing like coming up the hill and passing under the banner with nothing more than faith of where the road goes. Then you crest the hill and as the car drops below you, you get that rollercoaster feeling in your gut. You see the sharp bend in front of you and you keep your foot on the gas despite every instinct you have telling you that you are going WAY TOO FAST to make the turn. The crash barriers approach as you come to the bottom of the hill, picking up more and more speed.

Just as you start to turn in (and at this point, if you've kept your foot in it - you have no doubt that you are about to experience a fiery death momentarily), the road flattens out. The suspension compresses with the downward movement of the car and you get the gift of grip from the heavens. Because you've just transitioned from descent to level, you have much more grip than normal, and provided you have the cojones to keep your foot down and not unsettle the rear, you juuuust make it though the turn, tracking out to within inches of the wall while your tires squeal and the car fights understeer and oversteer to barely stay on track.

No matter how many times you do it, it scares the shiat out of you every single time.

The only ones who aren't terrified are the ones who *say* they were on the gas coming down the hill, but really weren't :)

13. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    The carousel (turn 6) at infineon (sears point raceway). Blind uphill entry into a downhill left turn with a crown in the road of which you better be on the left side of when entering, very fast. I took a course there and when I finally took that turn at speed I just couldn't get enough of it, quite a thrill. At the exit you are just plastered to the right side of the seat.

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Turn 5-6-7-8. I know they call it Madness on TV but to most of the locals I know we always called it the Esses.

15. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I don't know where to start...

It's like having mistresses in every state, sometimes two... :)

16. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I really like the exit of 8 through to the exit of 9.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Thanks Michael. That area is one of the best spectator areas at any track anywhere.

18. badbricks

badbricks Rookie

Mar 13, 2008
    cincinnati, ohio
    Full Name:
    art Spon
    #18 badbricks, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It has been called Madness forever and it is more than one turn it is a scetion of track, like the Keyhole and Thunder Valley. Attched is a photo Mid Ohio in the early 60's just after it was built.

No Thunder Valley, but Oak Tree Bend...you would have had to have B*LLS to take that turn. Probably why it only lasted a few years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Interesting. I've never seen Oak Tree bend. And I know, even Jim Trueman referred to the esses as madness. Just saying, today people don't know it as that. I started going in 82, and have had a season ticket since 89.

20. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Get that hump wrong on a bike and you are in trouble. Ask me how I know.

21. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    I agree. From a drivers point of view, the cork screw at Laguna does nothing for me in terms of fun or passing. It's pretty straight forward.

22. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    The turn into the carpark of the Seneca Lodge was my favourite at the Glen ;) Work over, party begins....

23. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    It was an even more suck it up corner before the chicane was installed at the bottom of the straight previous to this corner. You really had to be right to take that corner at 10/10ths. Good thing there is plenty of runoff there (and the pit lane entrance) for when you over cook that corner.

24. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They were asking drivers at Petite last year about turn 7. Most thought it was the most extreme corner they see all year.

What happened to make them put the chicanes in before turn 7. Was someone killed there?

25. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Michael, Turn 7 is the slowest corner on Road Atlanta leading onto the back straight and is located before the chicane.

The chicane, no longer used, was installed in 1991 to "spice up" the RunOffs and is located drivers left at the crest of the hill where the Porsche GT1 "blew over" (and the Can-Am car thirty-five plus years ago).

I knew folks who've died at the bottom of the Esses at Road Atlanta drivers left and after going under the bridge at Road Atlanta, pre 10A-10B.

I think 10A-10B is what you're thinking of. They are "extreme corners." That's why there are ton of natural and man-made bleachers there. So the gawkers can watch...