Your Favorite Racing Thread Poster? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your Favorite Racing Thread Poster?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SMS, May 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #26 AnotherDunneDeal, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    But I am really the old fart here.......back in the days of the Terrell 6 wheeler, Jim Scott and so. And also the good times I had with Risi Comp...........a little drag racing, maybe some professional MX. Jim Hall and the Chaparral.

But there are so many on here who really know their stuff and can quote facts that I forgot years ago. I appreciate anyone who actually comes on and shares experiences, good opinions and knowledge that is real. I thank you guys who know what you are talking about and can speak intelligently. And Napolis stands out to me. Having the experience with some really memorable cars. Now for the least favorite,,,,,,,,,I will keep that to myself, you know who you are.
    1. Paul Frame Seitel sponsored Risi Comp 333SP
    2. Nigel Mansell
    3. Rand Racing Lola, Risi Comp prepared and maintained. Did a perfect season. Pole on every race, fastest lap every race, won every race. Won the 24 hours at Daytona, never dropping out first place even while pitting.
    4. Risi Shop
    5. Tire change at Sebring
    6. Fermin Valez with 333SP
    7. Me losing an engine
    8. Dropping off the edge of the Earth on the famous Carlsbad California downhill
    9 and 10. A couple of Jim Halls Chaparrals including the infamous "vacuum cleaner fan car".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Love all of the posters on here, great love for the Scuderia but most of us aren't afraid to criticize it when they **** the bed, like Kimi in Monaco last week or Massa when he pissed away 8 points at Malaysia...

Special shout out to cantsleepnk who last year was emailing me Brazilian GP updates while I was coaching my son's soccer team; I'm screaming like a nut with one eye on on the field and the other on my Blackberry; thought I would be yellow carded..

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LOL

I was in the South of France in the middle of nowhere a few years ago while the Monaco GP took place. No restaurant/bar with a TV in sight. Turned on the radio and followed the live broadcast. It was the year DC had the pole (?) and stalled. I was screaming at the top of my lungs in my rental car in regular traffic. People must have thought I'm a lunatic. :)

4. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick

It was my pleasure Paul. Anything to help a fellow Tifoso in a jam. :)

5. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Did you work with John Mac?

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas and Tony (Senna 1994), plus TifosiRon and his wealth of photos.

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I actually trained for dealership management at FoH and then was sent back to FoDallas and stayed there for three years. It was from September 2000 to May 2003. I was more involved in the Challenge series. Doc Earle, Kevin Crowder, Bill Rand, Carlos Hank, Paul Frame and that group of drivers. I would have loved to have been involved with the GT guys, unfortunately that is a pretty elite group of guys. I spent as much time in the shop as I could get away with.

I remember when we mounted the 333SP body on the wall of FoH. Absolutely fantastic mural, if you know what I mean............

I will have to retell the story about meeting a very famous motorsport Hall of Fame Legend there and embarrasing myself like crazy. I still laugh at myself when I think of it...........

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    This is as good a place as any to tell on yourself. Add any Challenge series stories too, I really liked that era of FC with the names you mentioned. What ever happened to Frame's cars like the F40 and 50?

9. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Taking the Geritol again? You hit this spot on.

As I read this thread, I can add another name to the list that without their participation, this section would be boring. So I would add everyone that has posted so far in this thread.

10. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks...BTW, the scanner is owned, Anniversary present from TrixZee. Blame her for getting me into all this stuff. FYI...I'm actually the slower driver in this family. Kinda scarey, huh? LOL!

I'm actually surprised at how many posters don't like IRL, but at least have some solid knowledge of it. Kudos for keeping up.

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Thank you Jack. Appreciate it, there are so many guys on here who know so much it is the best section IMHO on Ferrari Chat.

12. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #37 AnotherDunneDeal, Jun 4, 2008
    Sold. Paul fell under some slight misfortune with Seitel and was forced to let go of some of his holidings. Slight to say the least.

The year of the first USGP at Indy, one of the FoH father and son driver teams had their F50 shipped up from Mexico to have something to drive while there. What a daily driver.....

I remember one race when Ed Martinez was running a couple of laps down in his 355 and saw Doc Earles car from the FoH crew bearing down on him with another car he did not recognize right on his tail. Ed let Doc by and then attempted to block the second car and slow it down. It in turn was passed in the process by two other cars. As it turned out, the second car was actually a newly signed FoH car that had not been painted in the Risi colors yet and he and Doc were running 1st and 2nd. I cannot remember who the second driver was but his wife drove also. He ended up missing a podium finish because of a well intentioned block by one of his own team members. Ed was not the most popular guy after that race...........Ask Rob how that car drives.....

Okay, now telling on myself. While going through my training time at FoH, the Houston GP was running one weekend. All kinds of people were in town for it and several teams stored some of their trailers at FoH. So I got to meet a lot of cool people. On Saturday afternoon I was standing in the showroom when I saw a black 550 drive up and a stately looking gentleman and lady get out and come into the showroom. The lady asked me where the ladies powder room was and I instructed her as to where it was. When I came back around the corner the man was looking at the 333SP that had run at Lemans and won its class. I walked over armed with just enough knowledge to be dangerous and said something like, "really unique vehicle, don't you think"?.. He responded that he missed the classic H pattern shifter, as the 333SP has a sequential shifter. I asked him if he had done much driving on the track. He responded, "I have been around the track a few times". I thought to myself, "yep, a SCCA driver for sure". But the longer we talked I began to realize he knew more about driving race cars than I had initially thought. About this time the very nice lady who had accompanied him in came back to the showroom and stood by while we talked. I realized that I had not introduced myself and extended my hand and said, "I am sorry, I got so involved in talking about the car with you that I failed to introduce myself. My name is James Dunne". He took my extended hand and grasped it firmly and said, "I am very pleased to meet you James, I am Stirling Moss, and may I introduce my wife".

Needless to say, I felt about two inches tall and must have stammered some sort of a reply about being pleased to meet the two of them. I asked them how they liked to be addressed, Sir and Lady Moss, or what. He told me to just call him Stirling and she said, "Oh, you do not have to call me Lady. There is really no royal blood in me and if there had been it is probably diluted by the scotch by now". She really knew how to put me at ease.

About this time Mr. Risi came down from his office and took the two of them upstairs. We had loaned them the 550 to drive while in Houston for the GP I found out. No sooner had I retreated to my desk to sit down and collect myselves (myselves, not myself because I had fallen into several different pieces and fallen apart) than I looked up and in walked a man and his son. I made no mistakes here, I got up walked over and stuck out my hand and said, "Mr. Andretti, it is very nice to meet you. Michael, nice to meet you to". Back to back in one afternoon....Wow.......Oh, Mario was being honored as "Driver of the Century" that night at a dinner and Stirling Moss was to be the presenter.....

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #38 AnotherDunneDeal, Jun 4, 2008
  14. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    LOL. I knew you stuck your foot in your mouth with Sir Moss, but I thought it was at a historic race for some reason.

Speaking of Challenge cars at Indianapolis, our dear track announcer, Tom Carnagie, did not have a clue the first year. His PA work that day went like this:
    "And heeeerrrrrrre come Dr. Steve Earle out front in the......Ferrari."

Everyone in my stand, and I presume the whole track, was laughing hysterically.

15. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I couldn't get a good pic, but at Indy this year there was Mario, Aldo, Michael, John, and Marco, all together in Gasoline Alley having a family pow wow.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #41 AnotherDunneDeal, Jun 4, 2008
    At least he knew it was a Ferrari...............duh!!!!!!

I remember talking to Doc Earle about a year later when he drove a Porsche at Lemans. He told of going into a corner and encountered another car (I forget which one) attempting to overtake him on the same line into the corner. The driver of the other car lost control, spun and the car flipped over the top of Doc. He said the top of the other car made contact with the top of the Porsche as it went over and actually left a paint streak across the top of the roof where it skidded over. He said he remembered seeing the other car in his mirrors as he drove away. The other driver ended up being okay.

Photo,
    Doc Earle in Action back in the 360 Challenge days