Your car care regime | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your car care regime

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Simon, Mar 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    Ok, this time I have to agree with Wolfgang.

(auchh...........it hurts saying this loud)

2. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Ok! So why not?

3. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    `cause we LOVE our cars........like a woman…. who takes a shower / bath and NOT a highpressure-cleaner, who files her nails with a file and NOT a rasp/grater, who brushs her teeth with a toothbrush and not with a steel scruber.
    And as a side effect, you will always find something what needs to get fixed, repaired, screw tight or need some more attention.

4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    .....and last but not least:
    NEVER try a "car wash" with your 512TR! She will get hardly damaged!
    Your car (size 2.00m) is toooooo huge and your wheels (295er) are also to huuuuge for a "car wash" !!!

5. TinaDK

TinaDK F1 World Champ

Jun 23, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Tina Poulsen
    Hmm If I had my own nice little Dino 246..... I would happily spend two times 8 hours on cleaning and pampering it ;);)
    And I'm pretty sure that a two hours drive to dry it wouldn't be enough :D;)

6. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    For me washing the Ferrari is a form of relaxation. It takes my mind of things. So I like to do that by hand.
    I usually take my BMW to the carwash. Some time ago I talked to the owner of an "American" soft car wash. He declared that dealers in the neighbourhood bring their new cars to him because his carwash is 100% scratchfree. I even saw a few Ferrari's and Maserati's in the carwash.

I am not looking for some strong NO!!! opinions, but for some realistic points. Because I wonder how they can advertise that their carwash is 100% scratch safe, if all the people cry out that I should not go there.

7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    When my car gets really dirty (every year after the Tuscanny drives) I'll also use a pressure washer. The first year we came back with the car covered in thick red mud, use the pressure washer to clean the majority off and then finish by hand.

8. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    I've been to someone that owns a F430 and he told when he cleans his car it could take 8 hours :eek: He cleans EVERYTHING on the car, also the engine parts

9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    #34 Wolfgang, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    You are hired! :)

11. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Well, I don't like a carwash that much either... but there's a lot of differance between them. I don't really see a problem in sending a car through a well maintaned and profesional one. However... I would also prefer to wash a car and certainly a Ferrari by hand... :)
    Or if you don't like it or don't have enough time, let someone else do it! :D if you can trust that person to do it the way it should of course ;)

BTW, a lot of Ferrari's (if not all) already have been through a carwash right after the production line!!! :D On visits to Maranello I've seen brand new 360's, 550's, aso... coming out of the factory for their testdrive... and right away in a carwash when returning to Maranello... ;)

12. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    I've been traveling to the EU 2 to 3 times per year for the last 15 years and it baffles me how poorly many Europeans care for their +$100K cars. I sometimes wonder if they know what wax or polish is for! In comparison to American owned cars, European cars are thrashed.

Many of us in America who own expensive cars are accustomed to bringing our cars 2 or 3 times every year to professional, independent detailers. I don't believe this profession exists in the EU. If it doesn't, it would be a GREAT business to start!

Check out this web site: http://www.californiadetailing.com/

Many of us Ferrari owners wash and clean our cars on a weekly basis, but leave the semi-annual polishing to professionals.

13. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Tifosi, these detailing business do exist, just not to the extent they do in the US.

I think you might be right regarding americans cleaning their cars more often than we euros, I don't know why.

14. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    we like driving, they like garage queens?
    US people are more "show" people?;)

15. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Apparently...and I agree with him. Hand wash and Zymol is what I do. Good therapy. KRAM

16. superfloren

superfloren Rookie

Oct 18, 2005