Your Boxer engine number? | FerrariChat

Your Boxer engine number?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by J.P.Sarti, Apr 11, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Curious to the number sequence for BB motors, my car a 78 has motor 00274 evidently the 274th 512BB motor made.

2. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    My 76 365 has engine number 395. It is teh second from last 365BB made.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You can not go by engine number when you try to figure out which number built the car is. They also built spare engines right from the beginning. The only key here would be to do a 512 BB registry with ALL serial numbers. Engine number 00274 does not automatically mean that this is the 274th 512 BB engine made.
    Marcel Massini

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Correct, and another thing is the sequential chassis number does not dictate build order either so you could have a later number that was actually assembled prior to an earlier car according to chassis number....if that makes sense. I just read that recently in a boxer book, the proof and explanation made me believe it.

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Still the same today. You can also see it with the Ferrari Enzo, even the assembly numbers do not correspond (sequentially) to the build number or to the engine number. These days we tend to analyze everything. Impossible with Ferrari. There is no logic and there has never been any. That's why it is so much fun.
    Marcel Massini

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My 1982 BB512i has a tipo F1102-A engine with serial number 00203.

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Mine is #00545

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    mine is number 216, chassis number 42509, what is your chassis number again Frank?

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    42213...it looks like our cars may have been on the line at the same time...

10. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    So you can't tell from the chassis number when the car was built, nor can you determine it from the engine number. Sounds all perfectly illogical to me, but Mr. Massini certainly knows more than I, so I won't question the logic, or lack thereof.

My 79 BB is chassis 28633, with engine #00459.

Looking at the year model, chassis #s, and engine #s listed so far, it truely looks like it doesn't make any sense at all!

Gotta love these Boxers!
    John

11. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

I see, makes some sense as considering they made a total of 242 512BBs by the end of '78 and my car was made in mid 78 as well.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

I wonder how many BBi's would have been built between ours? Hard to find out I guess.

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #13 Marcel Massini, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you REALLY want to know the exact date of manufacture of your own car then I suggest you apply for the Factory Heritage Certificate which shows the exact build date of the individual car and the original exterior/interior colors as well. Below is a photo of such a certificate, it can be obtained from the factory in Maranello only, go to their website www.owners.ferrari.com

Marcel Massini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The first Ferrari built in 1979 had chassis #27623, the first one built in 1980 had #31075. Yours is in between. Note that in those years only odd numbers were used.
    Marcel Massini

15. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you for the information, Mr. Massini.
    I'll gather the required information for my car and apply for the Heritage Certificate. It will be a nice addition to the other paperwork I have on it.
    I know mine was originally red/black ( boxer trim), but it's all red now, like a lot of the boxer trimed cars.
    From time to time I consider returning it to boxer trim. Some friends say yes, some say no. I'm still undecided.
    John

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I applied and reveived a certificate for my 79 308 but was turned down on my BBi. The explanation from ferrari was that they dont have them available for all models and years. :(

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

hey...where can i git me one "o" dem 250 gt paso corto's ?

hey JTR...when are you coming home my friend? I am currently in nc so I have grand plans to go "boxering" this weekend. i will call you and leave a voice mail as i crest 6 grand on the tach!!

my car will be out west w/in 30 days...so lets go driving!!

pcb

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is too bad...when will they be available? i think it would be very nice to have

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Likely because only us Americans care about such paperwork and since the Boxer was never officially imported into the USA, Ferrari probably didn't see it as being wanted by many people...

20. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John

You're on Peter!
    I should be home about May 3rd., and I can't wait to see your car!
    And I'll check my phone messages as soon as I get there too. I got a real kick out of your last high revving phone message!
    Have a great drive this weekend my friend.
    John

21. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I was told the same after repeated attempts from Ferrari, no info available.

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I was disappointed but certian my car was red and came with boxer trim. I can only assume the gearbox and engine is original considering its mileage. Not sure why the info is availble for a 50's ferrari but not an 82 unless Frank is on the right track. I would like its exact birth date though so I can celebrate it with a spirited drive. :)

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sorry for being late to the party, but my BB engine number is 568 (car is 30713).

24. Andrea Baldo

Andrea Baldo Rookie

Jun 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Andrea 1964
    Hi Marcel,
    i am buying a 1982 BB 512i Engine # 00218 Vin# ZFFJA09B000042507 and was wondering if they are matching numbers...also is there a way to find some history about the car to confirm authenticity? it only has 7,800 miles .happy to talk over the phone if you have time 415-730-5701 Andrea Baldo

25. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    #25 simonc, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    My 512BB is chassis number FB102*24927* with engine number FB102B000*00302*. All confirmed as original by Tony Willis here in the UK
    Please note this is a 512BB and not a BBi

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app