Young people driving ferraris/other exotics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Young people driving ferraris/other exotics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr. K, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    My thoughts that more young people than ever can have great wealth.

2. ZF123

ZF123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2015
    Bay Area
    I bought my GT3 @ 19 a few months ago, I've had quite a few funny encounters so far (all of them happened @ a gas station)...

Every time I take my dad for a drive, someone pops out and compliments the car and has a convo with him. I've gotten one comment when filling up by myself.
    The one comment was "nice of your dad to let you drive it." I told the guy that I have an awesome dad and had a good laugh in the car.

a couple yrs ago i would've also assumed younger people can't make that type of $ at their age, in that time I've learned that assumptions are dangerous ;). Love this machine

3. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not directed to posters in this thread as much as in general, but I’ve noticed a lot of people that talk exotic purchases (and other conspicuous consumption) qualify the spends were “with my own money”. It seems particularly prevalent when discussed by folks who’s parents have/had money. I guess the emphasis is about being clear on who made the money versus living off daddy or in his shadow.

Nospinzone, Lusso123 and paulchua like this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Bang on.

Matt

EnzoItaly likes this.
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I bought my first Ducati at 53 followed by a Panigale R then 1199 SL and 1299 SL. Haven’t warmed up to the V4 yet now at age 62. My mom still doesn’t know I ride motorcycles let alone super bikes, she’d say I’m too young !

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #31 ross, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    that was my reasoning.
    i did not want to be that cliche of an old guy buying his first ferrari - so i bought it as a youngish man, and then kept buying ;)
    (and i had to differentiate myself from my father on the brand as well - he has always been a porsche guy, and i bought my first cool porsche at about 24-25, but then i needed to have something different, and that turned out to be a ferrari 348ts at about 29 i think).

ShineKen likes this.
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes that is the case.
    i went to school with plenty of guys that got everything handed to them, and then never went on to make anything of themselves or for themselves.
    yes i grew up in a privileged manner, but my parents were always quite adamant about needing to make it on my own after school....such that at my college graduation party, my father took my credit cards and checkbook back, and wished me luck ! of course i always had their support and help if i needed it, but at that point on i was more/less going forward without a net.

i remember when i bought the 512tr, i called him and told him i had bought it in rome, and needed to drive it back up to london that next weekend, and asked him to join me - he was on the next plane out to rome and we had a great time doing it. when we stopped in monaco, people came up to him to ask him about the car and he would just point to me and say 'its his, ask him !'

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What a cool memory!

Jo430 likes this.
  9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea it was great.
    here is a photo of me and the car at the vista palace parking lot overlooking monaco. it still has the rome plates on it there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I don’t care. I don’t judge. The most obnoxious thing people do when they see a nice car is ask how you can afford it. Usually in the form of the question: “What do you do?” It is tiresome and dull.

For example, I like playing golf and do not care what the occupation of the other people in my foursome might be. More often than not, the subject never comes up throughout the round. Then there is the exception of the one who inquires as to your occupation on the first tee. Invariably this becomes a person you would rather not know.

EnzoItaly and paulchua like this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I dont judge until they bounce it off the limiter at a stoplight. Then its instant Azzole in my mind. Most young car people have no respect or knowledge of the car at all, and could"nt care less about it if thats what they do it.

JP365, Lusso123 and ZF123 like this.
  12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have a 15 M1200 S Stripe 17 M1200 R In black, and the Streetfighter V4S. I love them all, the V4S is the fastest bike on the road mass produced, next to the Pani V4, in just in sport mode mind u, not in race mode, with the quickshifter, it sounds like a 488 GTB !!! its absolutely insane

Thank you

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It never bothered me if somebody was born on 3rd base. I've lots of friends that are trust fund beneficiaries, and I'm blessed to have them as friends. Alternatively, I've met many 'self-made' folks that are the biggest douchebags on earth. Which goes back to my earlier POV. It's not the money, car, clothes, or house - it's how the person acts in the day-to-day.

If 16 year old is driving a Chiron, as long as they are driving courteously, more power to them. I can't judge if they are a bitcoin millionaire, drug dealer, or driving dad's car. Could be all of the above. Until I know, I admire the car.

The problem is folks that do judge purely on the car and age alone. Cognitive dissonance at play.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don’t mind the “what do you do to afford this car” question from anyone under the age of 25. It is so hard to find your way in life, why not help when you can. And I encourage my daughters to ask questions when they are in appointments where something looks interesting to them.

MaurizioAM, Gazza21, x z8 and 2 others like this.
  15. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Personally, it’s always offensive. It’s an invasion of privacy. Ask about the car if you want, my life is none of your business.

16. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    I don't like it either, nor would I ever have thought to ask that question to somebody when I was young. One's finances are private, that's how I was raised. I'm not naive, I understand a shiny Ferrari is going going bring attention, both welcomed and unwelcomed. The thing is, these kinds of questions aren't meant to have malicious or invasive intent, they're a consequence of the society we live in now. Everybody plasters their entire life all over the internet. Kids growing up don't even understand the concept of privacy anymore. It's become lost on many parents as well, especially younger parents.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

x z8 and kes7u like this.
  17. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    An exotic with a young driver...

An idealistic 15:They must be so smart. I want to be just like them!

A disgruntled 25: Hmph. Rich kid or criminal.

After buying a 488 at 36: I try not to judge and take each individual as I find them.

Growing up in relative poverty, I was always dying to know how anyone driving an exotic got to such a position in life. I would have loved to hear their story. But I would never have the gall to ask, for this reason - it's intrusive. Many would consider it rude, akin to asking "how much do you earn?"

I don't mind it, because I've been in their shoes. When someone asks, I'm happy to tell them, but the answer won't be helpful to them. They have to find their own way using what they have. The best I can do is give them some hope that you can start with nothing and succeed at a relatively young age without being a genius.

vraa, x z8, Lusso123 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    When people ask where I got the money for my cars,I say "No wives,no children". And it's the truth.

19. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    My vanity plate is "Kidless". Enough said.

ShineKen and Redneck Slim like this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    first ferrari at 26. f40 at 33. first generation and my parents/grandparent got here in 1970 with zero.

for the OP - sometimes you can tell, sometimes you cant.

blvckintl, vraa, 020147 and 3 others like this.
  21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would not assume the young people inherited the money for a nice car. I would guess maybe 5-10% actually do inherit their money, but I would guess the vast majority either borrowed or earned the money to buy the cars they are driving. I like seeing young people in cool cars, it gives me hope for the future!

EnzoItaly, ross and paulchua like this.
  22. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I don't judge young people driving exotics. In fact, I appreciate that they are among a small, ever-decreasing group of young people who can appreciate a real performance car.
    What I find all too-frequently though, is that sometimes youth is wasted on the young. Too often these young guys who've come into money quickly (dot.com'ers and other entrepreneurial ventures) don't yet fully appreciate how fortunate they are, and thus they lack the humility that would come with that understanding. A lack of humility, combined with an exotic car at a young age is a recipe for a disappointing first-impression.

Let me wax philosophical for a moment, and confess that I find myself to be truly blessed and even lucky to be able to participate in the ownership experience. I understand that with but one different choice along the way, perhaps I would be homeless and destitute. Or indeed, perhaps I'd have a much larger garage full of many more exotics, haha. While I recognize my own hard work and dedication, I can also see others who've worked as hard as I have but who haven't (yet) seen as many of their dreams come to fruition as I have. How else can I explain this except Luck, or God having a plan I don't understand. Either way, it humbles me.

So when I interact with a person who thinks they did it all on their own and that anybody / everybody else who was "willing to do what [they] did would have one too" (all the while failing to see those who've "achieved" even more than they have), well, I get turned-off pretty quickly at that attitude. In my experience this attitude can exist in any age-demographic, but is most-prevalent in the "younger" crowd. It seems to be almost ubiquitous in the so-called "influencers" of today; those people who have made millions from their over-the-top "reaction" videos and their hip-hop-culture posing. It's not unexpected though, as this is the wealth that comes the easiest, and so their character hasn't been tested. (I heard one say "the hardest thing I ever had to face was a hard-shelled taco from taco-bell").

Just my own $.02

EnzoItaly, kes7u, ross and 6 others like this.
  23. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    I have to say I am judgmental. I encounter all kinds of people at my profession and I must internally size them up within the first few seconds of meeting them. It's an important time-saving skill and I'm seldom wrong.

I'm in the Silicon Valley so when I see a young guy driving an expensive car in my mind I'm thinking "daddy's money" or "tech riches." Nothing wrong with the former, but I have more respect for the latter.

flat_plane_eddie and jag-oo-r like this.
  24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I have to admit when I see young people in exotics in south Florida I instantly think “trust fund”. Usually I’m right. (Toy rally I’m looking at you! ;) )

I don’t care though unless they are d bags. Lol, I wouldn’t mind having had a PHD either. :)

(poppa had dough)

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I get what your saying, growing up relatively poor myself. Keep in mind now as a Ferrari owner yourself, you may encounter bad behavior based on the same first glance assumptions on you.

zhangster likes this.