Young people driving ferraris/other exotics | FerrariChat

Young people driving ferraris/other exotics

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dr. K, Feb 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    When you see young people (35 and under) driving 200k+ ferraris and other exotics, what are your reactions/thoughts to them? Do you applaud their work ethic, assume it’s from inheritance money, scoff that they could have invested the money etc. I’m just curious to see what this demographic thinks. The general public mostly leans torwards either the inheritance and/or you are not the wisest when you could have invested that capital instead. Whereas when you see an older individual (55+) it’s definitely a different reaction.

JimL and anunakki like this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I let my teen son drive my Bugatti.

I could care less what other people judge him for.

If you would ever meet the kid, you would know he is in no way spoiled.

Matt

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hawkeye, IloveGT, imahorse and 34 others like this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Enzo said that he builds cars for young men that only old men can afford. But that is definitely not the case nowadays in Silicon Valley,where there are lots of young men who drive all the exotics.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had a 246 Dino GT at age 23.

Then again, it was 1980 when you could get one for 15 grand. :)

Hawkeye, Jakuzzi, VAF84 and 8 others like this.
  5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I don’t have an issue with young people driving exotics/specialty/performance cars. I have an issue with people driving like idiots. Young or old. I started driving my father’s Ferraris when I was 17. He had a simple rule, no street racing. I taught my son to drive stick on my corvette when he was 18. It would have been when he was 17, but he has a November birthday. He now routinely drives the vette in the summer. If my insurance policy would let him (age restriction), I’d let him drive my Ferrari as well.

Melvok, ditpixs, brogenville and 6 others like this.
  6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I bought my Ferrari when I was 35, I had already cut my teeth in the canyons when I was 22 in a highly modified RX7, so being a natural, it did not take me long to master the 328, and I have been doing so for 22 years. When I do see a young person driving an exotic, Im thinking young being someone in their 20s, and most likely driving their dads car, and that the parent has good sense when it comes to their kids. What I think is a more , well lets say, important, are the amount of idiots driving exotics, that have absolutely no business doing so, and thus we see the never ending pics and videos of them wrapping their cars around telephone poles, trees, and what have you.

Thank you

Melvok, paulchua and mechaniker like this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i learned how to drive in a 356
    my dad let me take the 930 on dates when i was a teenager.
    i took my first racing course when i was 24.
    i bought my first sports car when i was 25 - a porsche 928s4 - with my own money.
    i bought my first ferrari when i was 35, and still looked like i was about 16, with my own money
    i bought 4 more ferraris. with my own money.
    i bought my F40 when i was 41, with my own money.

i worked hard, and my first assumption is that the kid who is driving worked hard. if he tells me otherwise, then so be it - at least he has a passion for cars like me.

live and let live.
    you only go around this merry-go-round once.
    :)

Caeruleus11, Gazza21, VAF84 and 13 others like this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Why all the emphasis on “with my own money”?

Matt

9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I bought my first Ferrari when I was 26, I'm now 35. I wish I had a trust fund and inherited millions, mostly because IDGAF what people thing or how I obtained X. Mine have all been old ones and the reactions were generally 'cool car', not 'who's the young DB in the 488?'

You're in Boston, you've seen the college kids running around in R8's, Huracan's, 458's, but most of those kids are from overseas and most of those purchases were funded by parents.

mechaniker and anunakki like this.
  10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #10 ross, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    because the op asked if we immediately assumed a young person with a nice car, had not earned it himself....and then i told about driving my dad's nice cars and i wanted to differentiate that at a certain point, i bought them myself.
    you can omit that phrase if it bothers you.....

EnzoItaly, Zachman, Falcon7x and 2 others like this.
  11. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought my first Ferrari (1995 F355) when I was 25 (in 2006). The Ferrari salesman told me I was the youngest (selfmade) person at that time who bought a Ferrari there. I am sure it’s much more common nowadays, 18 yo Youtubers are buying new 300k Lambo’s now. The first few years I got quite a few negative/jealous reactions. Daddy’s money, daddy’s car, waste of money etc. I couldn’t care less, i felt like the king of the world in my own Ferrari. The best “waste of money” ever.

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I bought mine when I was 36, so I guess I'm good...

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  13. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #13 ginoBBi512, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    I bought my first Ducati when I was 52, is that to old ?? I bought my first motorcycle when I was 18 , is that to young ? ( with my own dinero !!! )

I won my first race , when I was 30 , with my own sponsorship . I regularly drag my knees on the street at 57 , I might be getting to old for that , what do you think ? lol I bought my first and only BMW K Bike to date, at 53 , I think thats a perfect age.

I hope I can buy a Lambo Gallardo when Im 60 , some might think thats way to old , I know my mom would.

Thank you

Hawkeye, Newjoint, mechaniker and 4 others like this.
  14. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    It's the 21st century and technology has made it possible for regular people to cheaply create content that gets more viewers (or listeners) than traditional shows/albums that cost millions of dollars to make. Just last week I saw a YouTube video that was 36 seconds long and consisted entirely of a young teenager saying that he has returned to YouTube, and it had 35 million views after just a few days. I know some musicians that pay their mortgages in LA with earnings from Spotify streams of their music.

Meanwhile, the stock market and cryptocurrency have skyrocketed. Some young people made hundreds of thousands of dollars shorting $GME via Reddit. A producer I worked with was paid 10 BTC for a synthesizer in 2013, worth about $700 at the time. It's worth $476k right now, just about enough to get an 812 Superfast. Suffice to say that young people have many more avenues to wealth than those of us who are older mllennials, GenX, or boomers.

So, when I see a 24-year-old show up to a local event in his brand-new 812 GTS with carbon fiber everything, I'm not particularly surprised. I just assume they earned their money through one of the many avenues that can pay off with good hustle, just like the retired pharma patent attorney and the GenXer that owns a local exotic car dealer.

And I definitely don't scoff at anyone for achieving their dreams, including when it comes from their parents achieving theirs.

vinny84, tomc, Zachman and 8 others like this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im yet another who bought their first Ferrari before 35. I think i was 33. And had a Viper even before that.

When i was a teenager and full of self loathing seeing a young person driving something cool would piss me off. As I matured I came to appreciate it.

16. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bought my first Ferrari, a 308GT4 basket case, when I was 35. Had 9 more since.
    I don't care one way or another if younger people can afford to own these cars. It's how they act that matters.
    Some are poseurs. Some are enthusiasts. That hasn't changed since I took interest in 1987.

EnzoItaly, italiafan, Melvok and 4 others like this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm all for young folks buying a Ferrari. Bought mine when I was 25... ( own money ) and cared for that car for 15 years. .... the best thing was the people I met along the way. I don't regret a single moment.

18. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I think this is the truest of the replies. Worst situation is the attitude. Seen a lot of it in the demographic you are referring to and really turns me off. Children need to learn their manners first.

EnzoItaly, paulchua and Lusso123 like this.
  19. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    We (wife and I) are well under 35 and haven't heard anything negative come our way yet. It's not even a big deal to get one, just monthly payments forever. It seems nobody even looks into the possibility of themselves owning one, they just write themselves off.

Veedub00, Melvok and Manda racing like this.
  20. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    First reaction... lucky bugger getting into one so young!

But haven’t met many really young; at 53 I tend to half the average age at our local Ferrari Owners Club meets!!!

Only seriously younger chap I’ve met was on a track day and owns a rather stunning car collection; seriously nice guy and really knows how to drive!!

The more young people that get into them the better in my opinion; provided they aren’t complete **** and YouTube heros!

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Bought my first exotic at age 53.....honestly, I'm aware that there are people younger than myself who are smarter, wealthier, thinner (everybody not on a 600 lb life show), better looking (again pretty much everyone)......I don't really have an opinion when I see accomplished younger folks driving exotics, I just look at the cars.

22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought a new Corvette at 23 (1984) and a house at 25. I worked my butt off and saved like a maniac after college to be able to afford those things, but it didn’t keep people from giving me all kinds of grief until they found out I started my own business. As hard as I tried to just let it roll off me it did become pretty annoying after a while. I can’t even imagine the grief if it were a Ferrari instead of a Corvette.

Hawkeye likes this.
  23. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Went to LA this weekend to see our daughter who is in college. Stood on a street corner on Rodeo drive and could not believe the steady stream of Bentleys Rollers Maclarens and Ferraris. The SUV du jour there now is a Lambo Urus. Only one driver of a Rolls was a cigar chomping 65 yr old. My wife and I were like what pandemic? What recession?

Melvok and Dr. K like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It’s not the car but the person. I don’t judge a person good or bad until I see their actions. So when I see a young person driving a car, I simply don’t know. As long as they are not driving like an idiot, I appreciate the car.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Bought a 355 in my late 20’s. Always got the thumbs up when I took it out. Maybe because you never see a 355 coupe on the road... even in Southern Cali.

Bought a Scud around 33. Didn’t get as much thumbs up on the road, but I can see the shock on people’s faces when they see it.

I wouldn’t change a thing if I had to do it over again. You are only youthful for a short period in your life. All the money in the world can’t buy that back.

Hawkeye likes this.