You might have TOO MUCH DINO STUFF if...... | FerrariChat

You might have TOO MUCH DINO STUFF if......

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would never think this could happen, but.....

I just found in a box of old Dino stuff Factory records of ALL Dino 246's from inception until summer 1971.

It isn't super great informative info, but has lots of cool information. This has been sitting in a folder in a box for many years..... I found it wedged between other stuff.

Oddly enough, I have owned these records since the mid 2000's. It was something I have never seen before (stuck between some vintage Japanese magazine's related to specific 206/246 cars) until searching for a particular item (Matthias - you know what I am talking about ), I went through every folder of all my records records....

I think the coolest thing I have found so far is a factory LETTERHEAD DOCUMENT speaking about 206's...

The Factory HAS PROVIDED PRODUCTION NUMBERS ON FACTORY PAPER....

Factory documents 256 206's ......

HUH? This doesn't coincide with what I have heard..... BUT........

It also Documents 246's

The GTS number manufactured is 1274......

Not a number that surprises me.... But kinda close to what train spotters have documented....

The GT 246 coupe number, ACTUALLY recorded by THE FACTORY, WELL..........

THIS IS VERY INTERESTING AND SURPISING.......

2. mebowles

mebowles Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Western US
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ok, as a GT owner I have to know...how many?? Pleease say 1273 lol.

3. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #3 rynoshark, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Exceptionally cool find right under your nose!

From that data the 206 GT seems to have been produced in considerably larger numbers than we always thought...how can that be? Interesting, looking at the Dino Register (
    http://www.dinoregister.com/) after chassis number 0410 there seems to be few records for a large set of chassis numbers.

Do the factory production numbers include those beyond 1971, or was that just the chassis number records?

4. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Look forward to hearing the surprising insights into the 246 GT coupe numbers.

5. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    what is the serial # for the 246GT

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Much less than commonly referenced.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The factory letter was written in 1971, so it is everything up to the current time frame of the letter. Although Dino's were still being constructed, the records were fresh and easily available, unlike today.

8. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Doesn't Matthias's book have the exact production numbers in the back so they can just be counted there? I'm out of town so I don't have my copy to see if the records are complete.

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    the production no`s mentioned here aren`t correct...
    total production no. for the 206 GT is 154 for example....

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I will post more info in the next day or so. I agree with Matthias that there a clear issues with these numbers.

However, either this speaks the factory being poorly organized and makes the Classiche department look like they don't have great records or shows some holes in what the factory actually produced and their records.

For example, they show "206" production starting in March 1966.......

Even factoring in race cars, I don't see how the come up with 256....

The 246 GT number is really crazy and impossible to believe how low it is. The documents show full production dates, so in theory nothing is left out. Production began in March 1969 and ended in March 1974.....

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    The documents I have are clearly demonstrating the lack of proper factory information, which has been discussed at great length when it comes to Classiche.

I am sure, the CURRENT info is highly scrutinized like it wasn't in years past. This factory letterhead is addressed to train spotter type of correspondence, so I imagine their wasn't much effort put into it.

Part of the delay in posting was trying to run past Dino people, Matthias having the best unpublished info, especially for Euro Dino's. Most Dino info collectors don't post anywhere....

These documents are pretty cool, but clearly flawed.

It breaks out Dino production as such:

206 at 256 units
    246 GT at 2060 units
    246 GTS at 1274 units

I also have a breakdown of "RHD" cars by model year, but it doesn't breakdown what model they are attributed to in that year, this is only for later 246 production.

RHD info is broken apart only by model year.

The early 246 info is the MOST PUZZLING....

This info is more specific in terms of what dealer AND what buyer it was delivered to.

The number of chassis numbers listed as "still property of Ferrari" is VERY interesting. It includes a note about the use of these cars.... Demo/TV/ AND more importantly RACING purposes.....