You have to see this | Page 2 | FerrariChat

You have to see this

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Oct 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    FIA unveil the CDG Wing
    Seeking introduction in 2008

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/

Zoom
    A radical solution to the 'dirty air' problem

The FIA consultation on the future of Formula One clearly demonstrated that the vast majority of the viewing public (94% according to the FIA/AMD survey) want more overtaking. This is at a time when overtaking in Formula One has become increasingly difficult.

Most aerodynamic research aims to improve a car’s performance when running in what is known as ‘clean’ air which has not been disturbed by the wake of a car running in front. However, in race conditions when cars follow each other closely, the wake of the car in front significantly reduces the aerodynamic performance of the following car, making overtaking extremely difficult and often impossible.

As a general rule, the better the aerodynamic performance of a car on its own, the worse its effect on the car behind and the greater the loss of performance for that car.

In order to encourage overtaking, the FIA initiated a programme of research into improving the aerodynamic performance of a car when trying to overtake. The objective was to produce regulations for a car shape which would create a wake in which a following car would generate more downforce with reduced drag.

With the help of the FIA’s technology partner AMD, the FIA’s research team have reached a preliminary conclusion which the FIA is now able to publish. The CDG Wing (Centreline Downwash Generating Wing) will be presented to the Formula One Commission meeting in London today.

Zoom
    This device is aimed purely at passing

“This new research is important for the future of Formula One," stated FIA President Max Mosley. "By introducing the CDG wing we can give motor sport fans exactly what they have asked for, wheel-to-wheel racing with much more overtaking. It is our hope that the teams will collaborate with us in the optimisation of this radical new idea so that the aerodynamic benefits can be introduced into Formula One in 2007 rather than having to wait until 2008.”

It is intended that the CDG Wing, together with wider wheels and slick tyres, will form part of the 2008 FIA Formula One Technical Regulations. With the support and collaboration of the teams it may be possible to introduce these changes as early as 2007.

"It’s clear the FIA has listened to the feedback of its key constituents - F1 fans around the world - and has taken a bold, innovative approach to improving overtaking and therefore creating a more exciting race experience," explained AMD Executive Vice President Henri Richard. "AMD is committed to encouraging innovation and creativity and to helping the world's leading organizations take advantage of the phenomenal impact of our technology."

E.A.
    Source FIA

2. tylerblue

tylerblue Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Tyler Blue
    This will take some getting used to....

3. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    CDG wing...
    Ugly but it will improve overtaking...
    The new rear wing is designed to create a wake that gives the car behind it more downforce and reduced drag when running close to a car in front.
    If it works, bring it.

Why about an Indycar style wing? or GP2 style aero package? Minimal wings and ground effect. The cars were able to follow each other and overtake.

Slicks being reintroduced and wider tyres for 2007. I'm happy :)

Tyre changes, I have no problem with that.

Qualifying is still no good...

Session one - 15 minutes - Slowest five cars eliminated
    Session two - 15 minutes - Slowest five cars eliminated
    Session three - 20 minutes - Top ten grid slots decided

Its not on low fuel.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Duplicate topic, threads merged.
    <sigh>

5. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    OMFG

I had the same response when I was looking for a new car; I love BMWs but I hate the Bangle-butt design and as great as they drive, I could not stand the thought of looking at an ugly car in my garage every morning. Those ne wing designs are just HIDEOUS!!!

I think they need to go back to flat bottomed cars, no diffuser, single element front and rear wings and slick tires, and use engine displacement to control the speeds if they are that dangerous.

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Dude, where ya been ? 2.4L V8's with ~200bhp less for next year. HELLO ?!?!

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Why not just ban rear wings completely? Allow underbody aerodynamics in the back to balance out the front wing.

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  9. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I wonder how the sponsors will feel about the lack of advertising space with these proposed rear "winglets"?

10. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli

I've been here all along, and I mean drop engine displacement down between 1.4 to 2.0 litres, with turbo optional if a inline 4 engine is used, or an inline 6 normally aspirated.

The sponsors will abandon F1 if their primary ad space, namely the wings, is cut out completely. I don't see it happening, but you can limit the number of elements and wing area

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I am sure the PHds in FIA and AMD have number crunched this but will the split wing cause issues when cornering at high gs?

Meaning the car becomes more twitchy as there is less wing area and a gap in the middle. Might prevent following too closely into the turns. Hoepfully the mechanical grip will take care of this.

The other issue I have is that wont it hurt the visibility to the rear. The current wing is sited between the wheels so one can see the tires and beyond. The new wing is over the wheels so it would reduce some of the driver's rear view

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Karting

Jun 18, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    Well now that puts it in a different perspective, doesn't it? It will definitely take some getting used to.

How about we keep the V10's, add the CDG wing, and bring back race-changeable slicks, and low-fuel qualifying?
    *rubs eyes, wakes up from dream* :)