You have to see this | FerrariChat

You have to see this

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by racerx3317, Oct 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
  2. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Its ugly as hell but if it works i'm all for it.

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    #3 Prova85, Oct 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    a wing à la FXX ? :D

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Touche!

I like it. Looks wild and exotic and aside from the obvious aero advantages allowing more overtaking the wings act as bumpers for the rear tires preventing a following car to get airborne. Good.

6. Wouter Melissen

Wouter Melissen Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Wouter Melissen
    Yep

7. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    What the hell are they doing to F1. The cars are supposed to be gorgeos.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

No, they are supposed to be fast and effective. Gorgeous is a bonus.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    will this mean less d/force, slower cars and less overtaking?

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No, the opposite: Less "dirty air" behind the car, which allows the following cars front wing to work more efficiently.

Remember how Kimi struggled to get by MS whereas Alonso had no issues? Kimi's front wing needs clean air to work properly or the car washes out and he understeers blowing his pass.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't like it because it will gave the advantage to the guy behind the car. Just like years back in CART, or even NASCAR, when a guy would sandbag behind the front car until the last lap, and then draft past him to win the race. It's a stupid idea. If they want more racing, get rid of the aero altogether. Then you will see who really can drive.

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    IMHO I dont see this as a bad idea at all. If it works then Im all for it. As many have stated, its not the best looking but it does look exotic and very advanced. And thats what F1 cars are supposed to look like. At least the FIA is looking for better ways to improve the show than not changing tires. Even further this promotes the engineering aspect of the sport. Teams will have to figure out how to get all they can out of it, and to me thats the best part of F1.

my 2 cents
    Mark

13. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    And a Technical wonder.

14. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The data looks like is missing something. THe graphical prepresentation looks good for the centerline of the car, but what is going on behind the wings and tires. I REALLY doubt that the airflow is the same as the center.

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree, fast and effective first and if change allows more passing, well, all the better.

16. vintageracer27

vintageracer27 Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Middletown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You will recall that F1 already figured out a proper formula before. Ground effects. Use of technology that allowed greater speed with the added benefit of allowing the cars to run very closely together.
    Ground effects cars were eliminated in the name of safety and slowing the cars down. The result: aerodynamics became the biggest ingredient for speed. Over time, the cars became incredibly fast once again. Great. But........they can't follow closely because these aero cars have great sensitivity to disturbed air. During this aero age, attempts to slow the cars down have only been speed bumps (i.e. grooved tires, narrower chassis, raised front wing, rear wing moved forward, etc.), as the time is made up in the wind tunnel. The most drastic effort to slow cars, the one tire per race weekend rule, is silly and unsafe. Now, the FIA are keen to slow the cars down once again. Witness the 2.4 litre V8 coming in 2006. We will now have slow(er) cars that cannot overtake unless there is a revision to the aero rules. The FIA seem intent on continuing to fiddle with aero rules as illustrated by this new wing. I say a this is a wrong move and a costly move. Aerodynamics r&d is a huge part of a team's budget. Plus, changing rules equals increased spending. I say bring back ground effects and control speed through engine displacement and tires (use slicks but control the compounds) rather than through constantly changing aero rules. Plus, stability in the rules = parity among teams and cost savings. Sorry to vent.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Groundeffect cars (skirts) are cool, but dangerous because of their high cornering speeds. Bad solution and a good thing we got rid of them.

No aeros or restricted aeros as in this proposal is the way to go.

The FIA got it right for once.

Besides: Big changes like this is what is needed, not incremental changes. Only big changes stir the pot enough to create new playing fields every year.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I dunno, I think an F1 car should look good too. Remember those X wings got banned for being ugly? Wouldn't a hanford device pretty much do the same thing as these ugly ass wings?

19. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    If the post-car airflow can be controlled to the extent as shown, then why not adopt an in-between solution that keeps the airpressure vectors going straight back rather than up or down?

20. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    The FIA is seemingly so hypocritical. They scream and shout and jump up and down about cost cutting, cost cutting, cost cutting. Yet every single year they propose radical changes that do nothing but 1.) drive up developement costs each year and 2.) try to make racing 'better' because the regs and rules they keep changing didn't work to make racing better.

This years aero specs are a great example. They changed them to make them better, they don't work and then they change them again.

And qualy??? How many times has that changed in the last couple of years ?You tend to lose count :(

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It seems they are trying to constantly balance three divergent objectives:
    - safety
    - show
    - costs

It is very difficult to cater to all three goals without hurting one in the process. And quite often they use one to really fix another.

22. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    They stopped being gorgeous after Dan Gurney's 1967 Eagle-Westlake V12.

23. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Wouldn't the new rear wing reduce the cornering speed do to less down force?

24. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    There was also mention of slicks coming back in 07 or 08 which would greatly enhance mechanical grip.

25. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I dunno, they should just allow a single element on the front and rear wings and done. I hate the way to split wings look. Slicks coming back should have been done years ago. The grooves were a bad idea that didn't do much in the first place