You don't have to be wealthy to have fun. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

You don't have to be wealthy to have fun.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Apr 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #26 Dom, Apr 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dale, you want cool and fun for about $20,000? And Italian?

How about

1975 308GT4
    1991 Alfa 164

Both can be had (if you shop well) for about $20,000-$25,000.

Of course, maintenance will be a *****, but the smile on your face can not be beat.

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Good stuff, Dale.

We raced a 190E 2.3-16 last year. With 230,000 miles! The thing ran like a top and I came away with a renewed appreciation of old Benzes.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nice miata , but i still want to be wealthy. The day i am , i ll buy one too .

4. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Wow thats sweet. I still would like to have some real dough though. Fill my garage with a Murcie roadster and coupe, SLR, Zonda F..that sort of stuff. I have a guy down my street with a Mercedes Benz 500 SEL from like 1989. It has over 300,000 on it and its still running pretty good. The interior is in brand new condition too..pretty sweet car.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    :)

You too can dream, little one.

Dale

6. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    #31 XR4Tim, Apr 3, 2006
    0-60 in 2.8 seconds for under $20k. Of course, it's not the best daily driver, but I could throw in my Honda Accord, and I'm still well under the $20k mark.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. passiveoptimist12

passiveoptimist12 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon Dough

Yeah, it's really sad...especially when you see one with purple cracked tints and a year's worth of slurpee cups piled up on the backseat...

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    There's a S of that vintage in my neighborhood, is a burgandy color. Gorgeous car. I've always thought about putting a note on the car for the owner to call me before he sells. It's obviously taken care of.

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #34 nathandarby67, Apr 7, 2006
  10. hippo

hippo Formula Junior

May 25, 2005
    KL,M'SIA
    Full Name:
    Andri
    small family,mind you;also be prepared to be a regular at the chiropractor!

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Reality bites. Unfortunately, the S is proving to be a bit more problematic than the Miata. I'm getting this sinking feeling that I have brought a boat. The latest is that the ABS light will come on and the idle will kick up to 3,000 rpm. I suspect that it is just another sensor brain fart. However, even on this car, sensors seem to run for $300 smackers apiece.

But I really do like driving the car, and $300 bucks here and $250 there is still cheaper than the drive out depreciation on a new car. The story continues.

Dale

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Im too old to dream now . Its time to materialize !

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

There is no such thing as a free wife :p

14. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I agree, fun can be had cheap.

I have a 91 Alfa Romeo 164 as a "daily" sedan.

My 1970 MGB is my "daily good weather" convertible (like I did today to get to work).

And my 87 Maserati Biturbo is my "take it out and have fun whenever it's nice" car.

Grant it I put some money into these cars, but they all ran when I bought them (still do) and I spent in total $6,400.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dale if gas hits $3.00 per gallon this summer, and stays there a while, I might go looking for a 420SEL like your's or even a 500SEL; they should be giving them away at that point.

16. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    The one vehicle, out of all the "cool cars" I've owned, that got the most attention, turned the most heads, (from both sexes), was an old, restored Willys Jeep. 45mph was flyin', but somehow it was just sooo cool, for young and old alike.

Notes were routinely left on the windshield complimenting me on my jeep.

17. white_fly

white_fly Karting

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    You know, I was beginning to lose faith in F-Chat after the million dollar thread. It seemed like people couldn't even figure out some truly enjoyable cars for a million dollars. You really don't need much money to have fun even with things on wheels.

Case in point, the other day I saw someone driving what looked like an Alfa GTV in not-the-best condition next to an SL63. The guy driving the SL63 looked positively miserable and the guy in the Alfa had a huge smile on his face despite apparently having no air-con on a very hot day.

Another thing I just wanted to say is that a car can be enormously fast and capable, but boring as anything to drive. Similarly, a car can have performance that is worse than even today's econoboxes but still be a blast to drive and that is unrelated to overall outlook life.

To hippo: Make it a Mazda 6 if you're such a wimp. I know the chiropractor thing is an intentional overstatement, but it isn't too hard to put up with an EVO.

18. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think the SL is fun to drive...when its working. He probably just got a check engine light (again).