You don't have to be wealthy to have fun. | FerrariChat

You don't have to be wealthy to have fun.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Apr 1, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #1 Texas Forever, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    One of the more annoying questions on F-Chat is, "How do you guys afford these cars?" This question is annoying because those who know, know that the answer is to be an international gun/drug smuggler, or marry well, whichever comes first.

Seriously, it is an understandable question. The real answer is that we all have made life choices along the way, which have allowed us to spend stupid money on these cars. Moreover, almost all of us have paid our dues at one time or the other. But even when we didn't have any money, we still brought cool cars. Like the song says, "When you're down and confused, just love the one you're with."

In that light, I'd decided to experiment. What could I buy for $20,000 that would be cool? The answer is that I brought a 1989 420 Mercedes SEL for $7,000, and I have $13,000 into the 1999 Spec Miata.

The Mercedes is my daily driver and is cool as hell. This car impresses people way more than a brand new Lexus, even though it has almost 100,000 miles on the clock.

The Spec Miata? Well, go over to the racing section to hear more, but it is almost more fun than the law allows.

Enjoy --
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Actually, I know more miserable wealthy people than I do not-so wealthy people. Hmmmmm.
    Like the pair, Dale. I need something like that. Is that MSR, or TWS?

3. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    A 1998 540 6 speed for a daily driver $15,000 + Porsche 924 that can nearly out handle the 5 $7,500 and a $5,000 all wheel drive Audi for the winter.
    So that's what $23,000 - $24,000 US for 3 cars that serve a specific purpose.

I had pictures of all of them together but erasing every picture on the camera was too easy I guess... moron.

4. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    One of the reasons I keep an older 911 (another is nostalgia, I've had it since new) is because it flies way below the radar. No one thinks anything of them anymore, "it's just another 911", and I can drive it anywhere either up-scale or down-scale and have it fit in. But it is still a fun, good-handling car.

BTW - I've also started getting more "classic car" comments in the last 2-3 years, people wanting to know where to get one or offering to buy it. A comparable car would probably cost $15-18K.

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Also there's an old Datsun 240 Turbo {I think} down the road that's up for sale for $1,200. Not much of a race car but they can be fun.

On a side note people buy new BMW's fresh off the boat with scratches, swirl marks, dings, scuffs etc and they'll drop 80k without blinking. For these people I say "have fun". For others that don't have 80k for a new sports/ luxury car I say find one that's a few years old and have it checked to to the nines by a shop that knows what to look for... then "have fun".

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ah Dale you're just bitter! :D Who loves ya?

FWIW, Lee's on the money. Cars aside, I've got friends with more money than god and who couldn't hate life more (some have taken theirs). And people who couldn't afford the sh!ts the other guys take and yet are completely content. It comes from within.

Having the toys never hurt, though. :D

--Dan

7. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    for some cheap old fun, definately an Alfa GTV6 or Milano 24V with a 164LS for daily comuting all under 20k.

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Snag it - 240 Z's are on the radar.

9. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I know of 3 that are "banging" around the city. I don't know why but I love the bodies of almost every old car. North American/ Euro whatever. I think I'd buy the car just to look at it.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I love my 633CSi. Cost me less then $2500 (yes as in about the cost of a single bling bling wheel). It is a hoot to drive, not very fast, but handling is great.

Also, my E38 750iL, which my favorite car bar none, can be had for ~15k now a days.

11. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My favorite car as well 1993 cadillac allante can be had for around $15k.
    Erik

12. corsa_italiano

corsa_italiano Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    I just bought a 1989 Nissan Skyline for 13,500 and it's the most fun i've had in a vehicle....it's horrible on gas, but the fun weighs out the gas prices.

13. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    Dale you're still my idol !

I think when I was a broke 8/hr boat bum I had more fun than at any other point in my life, I made 24,000 a year dated strippers. hung out in Nantucket, New York, and Miami, and drove a 3,000 red BMW 325 !!

Life is not how much you make it's if you know what to do with it.

I had a guy tell me once (who quit a 100k a year office job to buy a dive shop) now he wear shorts and flip flops instead of suit and ties, and drive a jeep) he always said that you don't have to make a million dollars to live like a millionaire ;)

14. expresscat39

expresscat39 Karting

Nov 6, 2005
    Bonita Beach,FL
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    '

I may be miserable but I would be more miserable if I was not wealthy. I prefer to remain as I am.

My daily driver is a 1998 Infiniti QX4 purchased new in 97. I have boats and planes stacked up like cord wood. People who know me ask why I don't drive a Benz or Bimmer. The answer is simple, I am happy driving my someday to be classic.

Money does not make you happy. Not having money really sucks. Been there and done that.

Money is nothing but a comfort zone. I prefer to be comfortable.

15. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Nice looking SEL

16. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Lancer Evo.

Family car, Ferrari level of fun.

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice paint job on the Miata. :)

18. passiveoptimist12

passiveoptimist12 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon Dough
    My dad has the exact same 420 SEL, except it's a '91. Absolutely beautiful, quiet, and comfortable. I feel like Prince Charles in it. Long trips are no problem at all. He purposefully went for the 91 instead of the newer body- it was truly the end of an era for mercedes. The interior is flawless btw, it's like a new car. It's white / tan.

Nice car!

19. solidgold5

solidgold5 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Connor
    E30 M3 or 944 Turbo can be had for under 15K. I have a feeling that the prices for the M3 will go up soon as well, they will bcome a classic.

20. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I love that S-class generation. Unfortunately, all the ones I now see on the roads have gone to the dogs, and are the proverbial 'banger'. Would be a fantastic buy if one could find a one owner, low mileage example in excellent condition.

21. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    As above. I think that generation of S-class was the last of the "stately" Benzes, and 100K is definitely low miles for those engines.

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Good for you Dale.....

It's really amazing what cool cars you can find out there for pennies on the dollar that still have great curb visual appeal and driving enjoyment left in them.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. Although around here not too many people recoginize Dr. Steve Earle's racing colors. They call the SM a "Mexicali Rallie" instead. :)

Dale

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. This car fits me very well. 1989 is also the year that (spool up Jaws soundtrack) Lexus came to America.

Dale