You been cars guys and all "What you think of the New Mustang GT" | FerrariChat

You been cars guys and all "What you think of the New Mustang GT"

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rolm, Mar 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rolm

Rolm Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    George
    As some of you may be aware I recently started a new career selling at a Ford dealership. I never thought much abought the Mustangs thinking I was to old for the suckers, till I took a few for a test drive All I can say is I was blown-away at the beautiful sound and the performance. In reading a few mags I learned that these suckers would do the 1/4-mile in 13.5 seconds think abought it that was BB territory in the so-called muscle era. I am almost becoming passionate abought North American GT cars. Oh yaw I have already learned a trick on how to increase the HP by 5-rw HP by simply removing a small item in less then 15 seconds. Later

2. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

I like the new stang and how they brought back the old look. However the interior (Just like most Domestic cars) has the look and quality of a kinder surprise toy.

The car is cool though.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

LOL..Kinder surprize toy...Thats a good one. I have been using the "K-mart dashboard" description for them..but I think I'll use yours if you don't mind ;)

As far as the exterior appearance..It looks good..but those doors are way long..what is it with north american GT cars with the huge doors? And it looks kinda guakie up close..too narrow for the length of the wheel base. It needs a lower job and some bigger wheels for it to have any real stance. I did see a yellow with black strips a couple of days ago..and I must say it looked great.

Just MHO..

4. Bab

Bab Formula 3

Dec 4, 2004
    Moncton/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The car looks great, when I saw the Saleen one at the Montreal auto show I was so shocked/impressed at how good they look. The interior is nice, but much too cheep, sad really because it ruins the car IMO.

Either way i'd give it a positive review all things considerd.

5. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    It's great to see Ford not screw up the Mustang's reason for being. Simple, fast, cheap, and a hint of style. what's not to like?

Although can't say I miss mine yet - I returned my '97 SVT conv to the dealer on Tuesday.

6. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Anytime brother.

As for the doors, they don't really bother me. But you are right about the wheels. They need to be big. Not exactly bling style or anything just with more stance.

One other thing is the quarter panel windows. I think that area could have been improved just by making the windows a bit bigger. The pillars look kinda funny. Or you can fix that by integrating the old style luvers like they used to have.

On that note: Mark my words, this car is indeed a vey good base for the aftermarket industry. You will see those old style luvers (Not the Canadian tire luvers yer thinkin about) produced along with many other items.

I have to dig up an old pic of the Mustang Prototype (also the Ford GT Prototypes) from the 2003 Concourse De Elegance in Michigan i attended. Now that looked good. Huge-assed billet wheels, and they had the spare mounted in the mid-rear where you can see it through the back window. Dark grey...........man.........wow it was so-Elinor. I'll try and find that pic.

7. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    The new Mustang GT and the Ford GT are both Step ups for ford. Both great looking and great performing. I love the retro designs and from the performance numbers that the Stang puts out, its defenetly not a let down.

8. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Gee, you think you'll miss it? We'll talk in a couple of weeks and we'll see if youll miss that thing or not.

;)

9. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Beautiful Car. I've had mustangs my whole life and was a Mustang guy. (ferrari at heart). I had already put my name on the new model, the only thing that stopped me was that the convertible was not coming until jan 2005, and to be honest I have not seen any yet in Canada. I also wanted a special edition, like a Cobre or whatever they are planning, (i think it's the Cobra R), but that's not coming out until 2007, and I would not know if it would have the convertible model. So in the meantime I put my money on my ferrari, and to be honest, I don't know if I'll ever go back to the running horse. The curse of the mustang is that in about 1.5 years the model will be stale due the seeing it all over the place (good for Ford, but ... ). When 60 year old ladies and pizza delivery boys are driving the same car you praise. It's just not right.

Hats off to ford for always making it a winner. But my 20 year old prancing horse gets alot more heads turning then the new mustang ever will. I may buy one as a second car if I want to keep my Ferrari as a princess, but right now I drive it like a Bi#%h.

Now, the ford GT is a real sweet car. And I'm sure you will not be seeing many of them around.

I am a big Ford guy, and have always driven Ford, I still have one. But I don't think I can get myself to go back to a Mustang as my main sports car.

10. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Agreed the car looks cool, but they use too much Crap on it. The front grill is 100% plastic that is painted chrone or Metal. Really tacky.

11. Rolm

Rolm Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    George
    Nice comments and yes I do agree on the cheap looking finish. But never forget what can you build for $33,000 these days that has 320-HP 350 lbs of Tq. with a nice 5-speed stick and 2-1/2 inch pipes. Dam you couldn't buy a 4 banger ricer with afart pipe for $33K

Mustangs are meant to be driven and enjoyed and Ferrari's are a piece of art to be admired and enjoyed.

12. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    ....and driven

13. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I like the new mustang. It opened a whole bunch of doors for Ford and there counter parts. I heard the Shelby was to do GT-350 and GT-500 versions of the new mustang. Ford can do a boss version and others. It sounds awsome. you cant beat the value of the car. Where else can you get a V8 300 hp starting at 32 - fully loaded at 37 maybe 38. Its an amazing car, looks great, its even fun being a passenger in the car.

14. Rolm

Rolm Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    George
    Guys We were just informed by Ford that the the Ford SVT guys are releasing an 07 Mustang with 450hp to 500hp and the good news it will be in the $55k range and yes that is Canadian dollars. You have to admit 500hp for $55k now that is cheap HP. Later

15. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    For that 55K I can buy a Saleen Mustang right now here in Calgary, that or buy some after market parts. I dont understand why Ford would wait so long to release the SVT.

16. Rolm

Rolm Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    George
    I asked the same question why so long to relese the SVT. I was told that it's not just an engine upgrade it is a host of parts and training and so on and so on

17. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    the delay's likely why one of our SVT dealer's in Vancouver has also picked up the Saleen lineup. Gotta do something in the meantime - especially without any Ford GT's in Canada - or so I hear.