Yokohama Tire Experience | FerrariChat

Yokohama Tire Experience

Discussion in '206/246' started by Julio Batista, Jan 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    This might have been mentioned and discussed before, but I am feeling much too lazy to search for it. Sorry.

I am considering replacing my Michelins with the only available Yokohama tire with the same original measures, model AVID T4. Has anybody tried it? The savings are impressive.

Thanks a lot and happy new Year,

Julio

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #2 Crawler, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Julio:

You might have seen this, but here's Tire Rack's info page. Unfortunately, they have not tested the tire, and the consumer reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt (although it's usually obvious when somebody doesn't know what they're talking about).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+T4&partnum=07TR4T4&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Several people here have tried and raved about the Vredestein Sprint Classics, which are about half the (horrendous) price of the Michelin XWX, and are proper V-rated tires with an appropriate "vintage" appearance (see photo). They're a bit hard to come by here in the States, but I'm guessing that they have distribution in Spain.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #3 celestialcoop, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Seasons Greetings Julio,
    I have Avid T4s on two of my current 'regular' cars...and have run them on others in the past. I like them. Having said that, a word of caution. The T4 is just that: A T speed rated tire with maximum sustained speed designation of 112mph/180kph. As you know, the XWXs are V-rated: 149mph/240kph.

A few questions come to mind. Will running a lower speed rated tire have any adverse affect on you insurance coverage? Does Spain have a periodic vehicle inspection program? If so, that may also be a problem. I have read posts from our fellow chatters in England that running a less-than-original speed rated tire will result in a failed MOT. I've saved the most important for last, involving the issue of safety. Is there the slightest chance that you might have the occasion to exceed 180kph, whether for a short burst or sustained cruise?

Now, as Dan mentioned, check out the Vredestein Sprint Classic; if I had not already picked up XWXs, I'd have chased down a set of 'em. The tread reminds me of Dunlop racing tires of the day. Vredys may be available from these folks.

Pneum Galacta S.L.
    Avda Del Tibidabo 67
    08035 Barcelona
    Tel: +34 934 187721

Keep us posted,
    Coop

4. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  5. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have gone to Goodyear's FULDA line for V-rated tires in that size.

I have some 14" V-rated Yokohamas but they are No Longer Available.

FULDAs have a modern gatorback tread design, very nice. No North American distribution though. I am getting them direct from Germany (Factory).

I need to get some pics of them...

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I have fitted the Vredestein tyres on two of my Dinos and I´m very happy.
    Price / performance is great and they do look vintage.
    The Fulda tyre I can`t recommend. It`s not the quality you should put on a Dino.
    Regards Matthias

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree about the vintage tread.....

FULDA, not good???

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I did crash the car with the Yokohamas on it, but I'm not going to blame the tires...LOL!

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

I bought 5 from DM's guy at Cloverleaf and the total was under $1k including across the continent shipping.

I have been very happy with the performance adhesion but several of mine do have slight sidewall indentations and I've no indication that this is bad, but some guys had commented on it as a defect

11. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you all for your input.

Celestialcoop, I don't think there are any MOT (ITV here) issues in Spain (and my brother in law is the CFO of the largest local automobile inspection firm, so I won't have any problems in any case); there are however distinct possibilities that high speeds might be attained.

So it appears that the best alternative to the highly expensive XWXs are the Vredesteins. I will start looking, I also like the design.

Thanks and cheers!

Julio

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff
    We can have them for $170 each from my guy.

Contact Dave Cohen, at Cloverleaf Auto, Malvern, PA they can ship UPS, which is not included in the price. Mention FERRARICHAT when you call.

These guys are very responsive, and good guys too. A couple different fchatters have used them for LBC repairs.

[email protected]

www.cloverleaf-auto.com

610-647-5900

thanks all.

Dave M

I bought 5 from DM's guy at Cloverleaf and the total was under $1k including across the continent shipping.

I have been very happy with the performance adhesion but several of mine do have slight sidewall indentations and I've no indication that this is bad, but some guys had commented on it as a defect

Is Dave referring to the Michelins here?

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've had several Yokohama AVIDs on my cars. Don't think i've had the T4s though. Every one has handled well and lasted.

Currentyly on my 308 i have the Yokohama AS430s and they've been great too (2 years).

14. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #14 Crawler, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  15. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    I have Vredestein Sprint Classics on my 356. I was kept on the string for months by Coker for the "correct" Michelins for that car, and finally gave up. In their defense, they evidently dance to Michelin's music, since the latter will make runs of rarish such tires at infrequent intervals, so like everything in life, timing is critical; the M's are available when they're available. BTW I have been totally pleased w/ the Vreds on my Porsche. I will face a decision soon on my Dino, since the XWX's that it came with are approaching the 10-yr mark.

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 spiderseeker, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    I've used Yoko's for years and have always had a great experience. I just put a set of Yoko "S drives" on my NSX a few months ago, very quiet, long lasting and highly rated wet or dry, just not sure if they're available in your size. Great tire for the money. (but not for the track).

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lady Valeria was low on cash and fitted a set of Yokohamas to her Turbo S Beetle.

I showed her an Autoweek ad and said "Look, they race too!" ......LOL!

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Goodyear FULDA 'Assuro Carat' is what I found..

205/70 R14 V95 rating.

19. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    I was under the same impression you were while I worked at Coker. It wasn't until right before I left that I found out Michelin actually produces the vintage tire fairly regularly, but Coker will not place and order until they can fill a container because of the shipping. The European supplier I guess do not have this problem.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Shipping IS the killer, my FULDAS had four airline stickers on each tire, didn't even band /palletize them!!!!!!

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    True, but they still charge more than 350 Euros per tire for XWX's.

22. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Longstone Tyres here in the UK, I am told bought the original moulds from Michelin some years ago and that is why they 'Name their price' on these tyres.
    I bought four through my pal whom is one of the biggest independant tyre distibutors here and they cost him £224.00 each!
    G P

23. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    We have the same rumor here in the US. Many people think that Coker bought the molds from Michelin, but I do know for a fact that Michelin France still owns the molds and produces them.

24. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Has anyone tried to locate these tires (FULDA "Assuro Carat" recently as possible alternatives to the Michelin 205/70V14s or the Vredestein Sprint Classic - 205/70VR14 both of which Coker sometimes has (or claims to have) in stock?

25. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

According to Vredestein's website, Les Schwab Tires (at least some/one anyway) are Vredestein dealers???

From Vredestein's U.S. website:

LES SCHWAB TIRE CENTERS
    PO BOX 5350
    OR 97708 BEND
    U.S.A.
    Phone number:1 541 447 4136
    Fax number:1 541 416 5530
    E-mail address:[email protected]