Yet another 'what should I get' thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yet another 'what should I get' thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by anunakki, Apr 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    What about a clean, built foxbody Mustang? Like a 93 Cobra or something? If they're done right, they look and drive nice. Talk about fun, but then again I've never had the chance to beat on something like a Ferrari.

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like them but ultimately I like the Camaro SS more. If Im going to get a muscle car then I think the SS is the one.

Im going to drive one this week and see what I think. While I am not a big fan of the Boxsters look I do think an S model would be a blast to drive.

Never going to find a decent NSX-T for my budget or it would be at the top of my list.

968...I almost bought one ten years ago. I love them as I am a big 944 fan. I can only find one for sale within 50 miles of me and its an ugly green. Im not going to chance something that I cant go see in person and Im not flying around the country for a $20k car. Has to be local.

Supra. Hmmm... there is a black 6 speed (or are they 5 speeds ?) for sale locally with the targa. I might want to go check that out. Interesting car. Ive always liked them. Good call.

I have no time today to go looking...hoping to get out there tomorrow.

3. Ferrari Envy

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    If you buy a Camaro SS, would you want to do any mods to it, or leave it stock. You can get those things rediculously fast with only a few thousand dollars, not to mention drastically improve the handling. If you do consider something like this there is a forum you should check out, its basically the ferrarichat of LS1 cars. Theres always clean cars for sale, and the prices are excellent right now. ls1tech.com

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ MKIV Supra's come in 5-spd (non turbo), 6-speed (turbo) and Auto (N/A and turbo) flavors. This is true for all years except 1996 when there was no 6-speed turbo model.

A Twin Turbo with Targa roof may be difficult to find for less than $20k unless it's pretty high mileage or salvage.

5. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Or modded and so beat.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Subaru WRX

7. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    How would that differ greatly from my E55 ?

8. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How's the search going Jerry.

Summer is coming quick. :)

9. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    m roadster.

10. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not so good thus far as I havent had a chance to go look.

Im going to try and get out there today or tomorrow.

11. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have now driven a C5 Vette, a Boxster S, Camaro SS Vert and a 350Z Roadster.

Believe it or not my favorite is the 350Z Roadster. The interior is fantastic. It has plenty of power for a daily driver. It isnt the most attractive car though...One I drove was silver and I would hold out for white, black or a dark grey.

Boxster feels too small. Im comfortable but as I said to my friend, I feel like the Chris Farley skit 'fat guy in a little coat'. I just feel like I look like an idiot in such a small car. However it is a blast to drive. The most fun out of all of them. One I drove was this weird lipstick red color. If I go this way I would only buy this car in black or dark grey. Lighter colors look too feminine to me on it.

Camaro SS vert. I love the idea of the car but after driving it I dont think its for me. It just felt bland.

C5 Vette. Very comfortable. Feels wider than my Viper though I know its probably not. Doesnt feel tossable at all. Best looking of the three by far though and I much prefer a targa to a full convertible. Car I drove was red. Im kind of over 'sporty colors' though...my last Ferrari and viper were both yellow. I think Id want to find a black one.

So thats my update.

Interestingly enough I would say my old BMW M Roadster was more fun to drive than any of the above. I might seriously consider looking into another one of those.

12. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    Ok... I thought about posting this a few days ago... then decided against it... but here it is again.

Anunnaki, what about an AC Cobra? I've seen a few on ebay in the 20s. I know nothing about their handling, but I can't help but turn my head when one drives by... love that muscular stance.

13. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #63 anunakki, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Who doesnt love them ? :D

But not practical as a daily driver. I have grown to hate my MB E55. Its heavy and not fun at all to drive. I will probably keep it since Im pretty far upside down on it. But I have no intention of driving it unless I have to. Just sick and tired of it.

So whatever I get has to be daily...rain or shine... and a AC Cobra aint gonna be it.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go buy a Viper SRT10 or a Vantage V8 or a 911 Turbo...but I am promising myself to never finance a car again. Only pay cash and right now all Im willing to give in cash is $20k max. Everything else is sunk into my business.

14. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I can't find the link to his ad, maybe it has sold, but jjay911, had a nice clean older Mercedes 450SL (I think) and is up for sale on Ferrariads.com, can't remember the price either, <10k. He's in LA also though, I'm sure you can PM him and find out. I'm not much of a help though :D

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Those cars are heavy and slow cruisers. Not what he's looking for.

16. agup48

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Very true. I was just throwing stuff out there, and forgot his main points.

17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #68 anunakki, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Id kill myself in that thing ! :D

So while I still havent found the car I want I think its a pretty close race between the C5 and the 350Z Roadster....what are everyones thoughts on those two cars specifically ?

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    haven't driven either (in 'vert form at least), but I'd go with the Vette. better looking (IMO), has a V8, more aftermarket options.

19. Ferrari Envy

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    The 350z has plenty of aftermarket options, but it all depends on what you want. Are you going to mod the car? if so, what are you going to mod it for? It doesnt take much to get the Vette smokin in the 1/4, and some suspension work would get the 350 sticking to the track. it all depends. How big are you? i'm 6'3 230lbs. I love Vettes, but I dont fit very well in them, not that i can afford one anyway.

20. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Im not really a mod guy these days. Both cars offer plenty of performance right out of the box for me. I got the whole 'lets go fast' thing out of my system with my Viper years ago. 0-60 in 3 sec...4 sec...5 sec..6 sec...really all the same to me these days.

I am 6'1" 260 lbs (though not for long)

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you're shrinking?!?

by mods I didn't necessarily mean performance...styling, etc to make your car unique (there's a lot of Vettes out there). 350Z mods tend to be of the "fast and furious" variety.

22. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would consider some aftermarket rims and thats about it.

i saw a 350z today that had gorgeous aftermarket rims. $18k But its silver. I hate silver.

And yes I am shrinking...luckily it is horizontally and not vertically !

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think the Vette is more your style. Also, I suspect that used they are easier to resell.

24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree. I think the extra room in the vette is an added plus. My roommate and a friend both have Z's. They both constantly complain about storage room. Simply getting groceries is a pain in the ass. And if you need to stop in at Sams or Costco while in the 350Z and pick up a couple of "bigger" items you're pretty **** out of luck. Especially with a passenger.