yet another speeding tik (MD) question ... | FerrariChat

yet another speeding tik (MD) question ...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by WCH, Dec 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    a friend of mine (ahem) was ticketed (radar, interstate, clear day, some other traffic - the folks were running a speed trap) for going waaay over the limit in an Italian car. Should friend:

1 - pay the $280 ticket, take the points and the insurance hike, and forget about it

2 - contact the officer, declare a mulligan and demand a second chance to "put up a better number"

3 - traffic school, hire lawyer, etc to reduce points.

No tickets in the prior 15 years, clean record. Surely we have some experts here.

Cheers and thank you, Will

2. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    definitley go to court . even if you plead guilty, and you should , you should get probation before judgement because of your past record . dress well ,be polite ,dont lie, they know all the lines.

3. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Ouch.... you'll probably get at least 1 or 2 points based on the speed. (Ask me how I know :))Where was it? Annapolis? Some other part of MD? Still I would go cause it'll be better than just plain admitting guilt.

4. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Option 3...especially if he was driving an F-40!

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "definitley go to court . even if you plead guilty, and you should , you should get probation before judgement because of your past record . dress well ,be polite ,dont lie, they know all the lines"

OK, that's very helpful. I thought that going to court and pleading guilty might make things worse - especially given the Ferrari element. So, basically, just go with hat in hand, admit to speeding, plead guilty and ask for a reduction in the points?

Thanks.

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Will,

A friend of mine ( ;) ) went to court in MD and got PBJ. It is worth going. If the officer doesn't show, your case is thrown out.

G/L to your friend

7. UnVinRougeSVP

UnVinRougeSVP Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    FWIW, I got the book thrown at me in DE last Feb - five separate counts that won me the agressive driving charge prize (need five at the same time to get hit with that). The whole thing was pretty much a scam, as each count was pretty weak. Anyway, hired a lawyer and got off with pbj, $90 fine and no points. Certainly worth the fee - he knew everyone at court and manuvered accordingly. Always fight a ticket and never expect nor go for getting off scot free - they like the admission of (some) guilt and want the $$. Unless you were rude to the cop or put others in serious danger, they could not care less about points or causing you pain with the insurance co. That is why the min. fines are so high yet carry no points.

8. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    The issue isn't the points or fine...as much as what the insurance company is going to do to you for three years or longer! You could end up paying thousands to them for one stinking ticket...

9. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    If your going to plead guilty--go to court. At that fine amount, the speed was between 30-39 over the speed limit. It is also 5 points. Wait for your name to be called and ask the judge if the officer is present. If he is not-plead NOT Guilty. If he is plead Guilty and ask for a PBJ. At that speed may not get the PBJ. Depending on the jurisdiction and judge. What county did this occur in and was a Trooper or Sheriff??

10. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Insurance company will not find out unless they run a FR19 on you once a year--most do NOT. or unless you tell them..

11. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    yeah got the 5 pointer and got off with pbj.. had lawyer + driving school..

driving school in md was a trip.. i was in there with people who stole cars..

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In North Carolina, PBJ is a sandwich you feed to kiddies.

We have PJC - Prayer for Judgement Continued. I recently got a ticket in my lovely green sh^tbox Saturn. One lawyer and $300 later it was gone.

AT THE VERY LEAST, get a lawyer to plead down below the 5 point level (get the ticket to read 11 mph over the speed limit, and you'll be in MUCH better insurance shape.

-dp

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "If your going to plead guilty--go to court. At that fine amount, the speed was between 30-39 over the speed limit. It is also 5 points. Wait for your name to be called and ask the judge if the officer is present. If he is not-plead NOT Guilty. If he is plead Guilty and ask for a PBJ. At that speed may not get the PBJ. Depending on the jurisdiction and judge. What county did this occur in and was a Trooper or Sheriff??"

You are corrrect, of course, speed was 90 in a 55 (I370).

Location, Montgomery County.

Under "agency," the initials "MCP" were written - I assume that means Montgomery County Police.

Thanks again for all the replies.

14. gonnagetone

gonnagetone Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    dc metro area.
    Full Name:
    venky
    was the dude parked and laser taggin / radar tagging..

u def need a decent LOCAL lawyer. (who might know the cop). and try to go to class before.. your court date..

county guys are harder to fight (in court obv) then state guys.. ( i have lotta exp :p)

i got a 85 in 65 (which is 5 points) lady trooper..

275$ + 5 point got it to
    200 $ lawyer 0 points 75 $ class.70$ ticket.

90 does sound bad when u say it.. but in f40 u (or your friend) just get started..
    may the force be with u be safe :)

15. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    MC has no sense of humor about that rate of speed... you will more than likely get something points wise. But instead of the full blown 5 points he/she may knock it back to 2. I went through this a few years back... I wasn't doing 90 but I was over by almost the same amount. The fact that you have not had a ticket in 15 years will work towards your favor... Good reason why Monty County is the most expensive county in the state.... coppers are everywhere...

16. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Def get lawyer....this is the range where if the judge is having a bad day he can suspend your license if he feels like it...

Also, the fine print in your insurance policy states that you are obligated to notify them of any tickets/ violations which of course is not completed until after the court date. The fact that most folks don't is why they have this data base now that can tell you if you ever swapped paint and when it occured, how much damage...I thought about changing companies about a year ago and was shocked at how much data they had on me, my wife and my daughters....they had stuff that we had forgotten about as it was long ago.

The more you can dial this down in court the better off you are going to be in the future should you bend a fender or get caught driving a little too quickly again.

It isn't the points that will hurt you...its the insurance guys!

17. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    Hire a lawyer, and I'm not just saying that because I'm one. I get people out of tickets in Washington State. Your friend will do much better if he has an attorney. A $280 ticket here would be for 30+ over the limit. I recently got a guy out of a 109 in a 60 here. Fine was somthing like $356.

18. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    How the heck do you do that?

-R

19. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Not in Maryland.

20. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I say---don't waste your money on a lawyer. If you prepare yourself a lawyer can't do anything YOU can't do for yourself. I can help coach you through what to say and what not to say if you want. I don't know how many times I see a def. come into court with a $300 lawyer only to get the exact same disposition as the guy w/o a lawyer. A traffic ticket is the most basic court apperance you will ever deal with. Lawyers of course love it. 5 min. of work for $300... I can teach my 10 year old to go in there, plead the case and walk out , just as good as a lawyer can do. Just my opinion after going to traffic court for the last 10 years on a weekly basis.

21. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    BJ

22. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I've seen a particular atty. in Rockville do spectacular magic.

23. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    LOL!!!

24. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'll pay the fine :)

-R

25. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    since you have no priors you shouldn't have any trouble getting a pbj. go to court, you really don't need a lawyer, plead NOT guilty. if you plead guilty the judge has no choice but to beat you up. you don't need a bs story just tell him you were paying attention to the road and not watching the gauges and you normally don't drive that fast. i've had many tickets for speeding, a few were for really speeding like 100 in a 40 mph. and got off with a pbj in balto county. don't be intimitated by the guy who comes out and says if you plead guilty now you can pay the fine and go home. they do that to scare people. stand trial, dress neat, be pleasant, say as little as possible. i think that is the key. don't say two words if one will do. plus you might get lucky and the cop won't show. good luck, let us know what happens