Yet another restaurant thread.... | FerrariChat

Yet another restaurant thread....

Discussion in 'New England' started by lawandorder360, Jul 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    OK guys, sorry for yet ANOTHER retaurant recommendation thread. My stepfather is turning 50 this August, and his family is flying in from New York and Ohio to have dinner here in Boston. I've narrowed dinner choices down to three french-themed restaurants:

Aujourd'hui - (In the Four Seasons Hotel)

L'Espalier

Mistral

If any of you guys could share experiences with these places and/or give recommendations, that'd be great!

Thanks guys

-Michael

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I haven't been to Aujourd'hui, but I personally like somewhere "non-hotel" for a special occaision. I'm a fan of L'espalier as I've previously posted. Its quite posh and old world, but IMO the service is impeccable and the food is splendid.

To quote zagat.com ->
    By most accounts “the only world-class restaurant in Boston”

These two are the two top rated zagat frenchies in town. Interestingly No. 9 park also pops up as French (+ italian). Doody and I are clearly both fans of that as well.

I'm sure any of these restaurants will take great care of you if you let them know its a special occasion - and you're dropping north of 1G for a group , assuming its not just the two of you :)

3. Jakillo

Jakillo Karting

May 29, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jason Toms
    I went to Mistral for my highschool graduation dinner and it was awesome. It's one of my favorite restaurants. The food there is always amazing, the service is even better, I highly reccomend it.

4. glpellegrino

glpellegrino Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Eastern Mass
    Full Name:
    Greg
  5. lawandorder360

lawandorder360 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Well guys, we're booking reservations soon for Mistral. Thanks for all your help!

6. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My $0.02: which of these is not like the others?

Mistral. Which isn't to say that it's not a great restaurant - it certainly is, but it's not Aujourd'hui or L'Espalier. Mistral has very good food, fantastic atmosphere, and is "hipper" than the other two.

But Aujourd'hui and L'Espalier are probably the only two restaurants in town (well, maybe Radius) that would earn 2 Michelin stars. They are classic French places. If I was celebrating a major occasion, it would almost certainly be at one of those two.

vty,

--Dennis

7. BD997

BD997 Karting

Aug 9, 2005
    Watertown, MA
    Full Name:
    BD
    I hear Mcdonalds has a new salad menu...
    :)

8. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Not to threadjack,

How is The Federalist and Julian's?

It should be exciting at the high-end dining chain with the Mandarin Oriential (which sounds like it will be a smash hit), St. Regis and I believe the Regent chains all opening new hotels in the next two-three years.

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    The Federalist is fun especially if you are out for a wine evening and want to spend some serious $$$ on wine. The food is very good, but a smidgen below a L'espalier or No 9 Park.

10. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I heard the wine cellar is pretty insane. Is it a French cusine restaurant?

11. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    A bump to an old thread, but I found these new restaurants at the new InterContinental Boston hotel to open next month interesting:

http://www.intercontinentalboston.com/dining/index.html

With the Regent and Mandarin Oriental (and sale of the Ritz-Carlton to another luxury hotel company) to open next year, Boston is starting to create a hell of a terrific restaurant scence. I am looking forward to what the Mandarin Oriental will offer.

12. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Speaking of the Mandarin Oriental, looks like it's stunning.

http://www.boston.com/realestate/luxliv/articles/0518_mandarin.html

A new potential hot spot for car watching? I read that it will have 30,000 square feet of retail space? Pretty high-end I'm betting.