Yet another request for SF hotel info | FerrariChat

Yet another request for SF hotel info

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by sjvalin, Oct 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    I'll be at Bimbo's club (columbus and chestnut) for a show Oct 21 and was thinking of spending the night in a hotel nearby. I'll be in my Daytona. I am
    looking for a hotel with safe and secure parking for a modest amount of money.
    Being able to walk to Bimbo's would be a plus, so that sounds like Fisherman's Wharf or North Beach? A good place to eat is also sought. Any suggestions? TIA!

-steve

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    good place to eat?

Scoma's

the lobster newberg and thermador (sp?) are excelent.

3. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Pretty much everything in San Francisco is a $12 (or less) cab ride away from everything else, so my suggestion is to stay where you want to stay, and cab it. If I was driving in, I'd stay in the Cow Hollow area, where most of the hotels have free self-parking (not all in garages, though). The neighborhood is more interesting, IMHO. Cabs are pretty easy to come by, and will be easy to flag down on Columbus after the show. You'll feel more like a local, and less like a tourist.

I could never in good conscience recommend a friend stay near Fisherman's Wharf, but that's a matter of personal preference. If you decide to stay there, there are plenty of major hotel chain branches (Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Hilton, etc.) all within a few blocks of your destination. I can't say for certain which hotels allow you to park your own car, and which valet. All will almost certainly charge you $20-$30 a day for it, but I guess it's a wash, when you consider that you wont be paying for a cab. Top off your tourist experience with a meal at Hooters or Rainforest Cafe - "Vol-caaaaaa-nooooooo!" (LOL - I admit, I ate there once.)

If you have a specific hotel in mind, I can drive by and take a peek. I'm 5 minutes away.

4. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
  5. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Try the Columbus Motor Inn (415-885-1492), on the same block as Bimbo's and with its own self-parking garage.

http://www.columbusmotorinn.com

For breakfast walk down 1-1/2 blocks to the Hyatt, where they have a nice breakfast buffet. Alternately there is a Denny's at the Holiday Inn and an IHOP a few blocks further away on the Wharf.

Best and most budgetary fish lunches & dinners in San Francisco are a short drive away on Lombard: The Silver Clouds restaurant. You will pay twice as much on the Wharf for a meal 1/2 as good.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/profile/911178/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc

There's a good Japanese restaurant (good food, not overpriced) at Bay & Powell: Bob's Sushi. A short walk away from Bimbo's.

For fun & if you've never been to one before, do lunch or dinner at the Rainforest Cafe on the Wharf. There's also a Hooter's there if your preference in wildlife is more evolved-primate.

If you feel like going downtown while there, leave your car parked at the Columbus Motor inn and catch the 30 Stockton right out front; save Union Square parking $$$ & frustration. Take the same bus back within 2 hours with a transfer for free.

6. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Thanks all so far for the suggestions. This one looked promising, but for some odd reason it's booked up that evening. Is something going on in SF 10/21?

Any other suggestions? TK - I'm not looking for the quintessential SF experience. Just looking for a convenient, affordable, and most importantly, secure garaged (preferable free) parking. Sheraton is a little pricey. I think I would prefer to stay near Bimbos in the North Beach area and not deal with cabs.

-steve

ps - TK, dust off a car and join in the fun 10/22!

7. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    Hmm. Try the Wharf Hilton, and check this out:

http://travel.hotels-and-discounts.com/index.jsp?pageName=hotInfo&cid=59562&hotelID=169941&city=&stateProvince=&country=&hotel=01&OVERACCT=1419216325&OVRAW=Hilton%20Fisherman's%20Wharf&OVKEY=hilton%20fishermans%20wharf&OVMTC=standard

It's 1-1/2 blocks away from Bimbo's - at Columbus & Bay. Disadvantage is that you will be socked for Wharf hotel prices (unless the above link can pull something off for you).

On the other hand, the Hilton's got an indoor garage where you park your own car and there is a 24-hour attendant at the kiosk, and cameras on the various garage floors. I think this is about as secure as you're going to get around there, particularly in a non-valet/attendant-parking situation.

8. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Are you dancing or singing?
    :)
    Seriously, I always park on Mission and 4th, at the giant parking garage by the Metreon. It is not free, but it is usually easy to find a spot by the wall to avoid door dings.
    I have also had a good experience in Nob Hill (sorry to the Brits) at the Fairmont. I was able to drive my car, but that might have had something to do with the tip presented before pick up...

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Hehe! I'll get off my high horse and try to offer a few better suggestions as I think of them!

For starters, please post or PM your price range.

10. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    My preference would be $100-$150, but hopefully not more than $200.