Yet another "I need more storage" question | FerrariChat

Yet another "I need more storage" question

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Scotty, Jul 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    OK, I have some specific questions regarding my need for more garage space. To deal with some previous suggestions, I won't move to a different house, my current house cannot reasonably be modified to increase garage storage, rentable "public storage" type places don't work (not enough power/space to put a service lift, etc.) and there aren't any airports close (someone suggested renting a hanger). Also, I am still very busy with my real job, and therefore the place has to be close.

I've considered buying a smaller house and either tearing it down to put up a garage, or buying a house that could be rented on a bigger piece of property and putting up a garage on that--zoning and other city issues make that a problem. There are a shortage of rental warehouses in the area, and most also have a sizable "front office" area which I don't need but I continue this search. True empty and obviously "for sale" commercial land is a challenge to come by (I could explain Portland's urban growth boundary and the issues it creates, but that would take to long).

So I rode my bike around today just looking. What I found were a fair number of businesses (landscaping companies, a refrigerant coil manufacturer, etc.) sitting on large pieces of land, with chunks of that land vacant and pushing up weeds. Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, cautions, etc. regarding contacting these business and seeing if I could secure a long term lease on a portion of the land and then erect a metal storage building? I'd rather buy a chunk of land, but I would guess that there are signficant subdividing issues.

I also saw some areas (lots?, portions of larger properties in disuse?)--I thought I might be able to go to the city, figure out who owns them, and try to contact them about buying them. Any thoughts here?

I'd also welcome any other innovative (even crazy) solutions.

Thanks--Scott

2. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    put a lift or two in YOUR garage???

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Dan--lifts don't fit. (I could squeeze a service lift in one bay, but I also build furniture and have a relatively fully outfitted shop. All of my machines are on wheels so that I can expand from one bay into two--a lift, which could only work in my middle bay would be in the way). Ceilings are also low (and the house is above the garage).

4. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    crap, sounds like ur SOL there :(
    Im in the same situation, I just rent out storage units for my car and stuff, and its gonna get worse since Im bout to buy another car.
    $320/month for a 15x30 and 10x20 unit sucks!...sadly its the best deal anywhere near me...Im now looking at municaple airport storage, doesnt sound like its and option for you though :(

Im interested to see if anyone can help ya out :)