Yet another exhaust option question | FerrariChat

Yet another exhaust option question

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by markmoon, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry if this is in any way redundant to other threads, but with my F12 inbounds I am contemplating 1) if I should even go the aftermarket exhaust route and 2) if so, which.

My criteria may be a bit different from most in that, while many like the high pitched F1 options ( IPE comes to mind), I was thinking more old school V12 sound would fit what I am looking for. Given that, Capristo seems a bit lower in tone and may fit the bill. Fab speed sounds great as well. Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers, Mark

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm going to try a valve controller first. The F12 stock exhaust may sound great below 4K rpm with valves open.

3. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think you may very well be right.

4. Nautilus12

Nautilus12 Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Had the capristo remote on my car at first, but wasn't loud enough for me. Added Capristo Muffler + Xpipe and now it's just right. I would recommend either Capristo or Novitec as I think those two sound the best.

5. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you.

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    +1 except you pay a helluva lot more for the NR boxes and X-Pipe whereas the Cap's boxes sound just as good (maybe even better)

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would wait for at least the first ~1,000 miles at least. See what you think. Its possible you love it right out of the box. Despite what they say, I would recommend changing all fluids around 1,000 miles. Its cheap insurance.

8. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great advice. Thanks!

9. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Not to go OT, but you don't trust that Ferrari has driven your "new" engine very hard and has things ready to rock before delivery? All fluids? Really?

10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its a bit of an older school thing. I'm sure the fluids Ferrari put in are very good to excellent. However, brand new gears, parts, etc can sometimes have small microscopic metal filings that will come off in the first little bit of usage. Changing the fluids will remove these containments. You might now say well what about brake fluid because there are no gears in there! True, however, I like having my mechanic change them all because it makes us take a good look at things and you never know, you might see something that isn't quite right.

Mistakes do happen.

Over the years we've found a poorly attached coolant hose, ditto for brake line, a bad battery and not properly secured suspension sensors. So far not on a Ferrari, but other big name premium marques. Better to find it out early and at the shop than whist on the move.

Perhaps the word "all" as pertains to fluids should be revised to mean motor oil and filter, differential fluid, brake fluid... I don't think you need to change things like coolant and wiper fluid right out of the box.

That's just my experience.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I understand for other cars. It was my understanding these are totally tested and ready to roll right off, to the track if you wanted to.

12. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    I have a garage full of Aventador, Ford GT and Viper OE exhausts . I decided on the F12 I would just go with the controller. I am perfectly happy. Does it sound as good as my Lambo ? No, but it ain't that far off.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I'd go with NR or Capristo - and I like the Capristo sound the most. I'm not a fan of the synthetic sounding high pitch sound either. Adding an x-pipe can be a good thing as it can take away droning if there is any - there sometimes is with aftermarket systems. However, that will also take away some of the low end raw sound and make it thinner. But in any case, it is still a much more naturally sounding exhaust than the IPE. Also from what I've been told, the quality of the Capristo and NR systems are on a different level compared to IPE.

A different option that might work, is to just install 200 cell sport cats thereby getting a louder and more raw sound, while keeping the stock sound signature.

But in any case, let the cats and exhaust break in and see how you like it.

14. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    this is true and we had a Speciale this past weekend at the track with less than 100 miles on it. I've ask my dealer many times to change the fluids on my Speciale but they refuse to do so before 12,000 miles or 1 year. I just past 6,000 miles on mine and I'm paying to have them replace the fluid early for the reason stated above.

The recommended service intervals changed when Ferrari started the free maintenance program.. seems a little fishy to me.

15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    +1 - I have yet to notice any loss in low-end torque and I have the entire setup u mentioned above

16. BlackF12

BlackF12 Rookie

May 16, 2016
    Please explain the above, is the quality of the capristo better or worse than the IPE ? I recently purchased the Capristo + x-pipe + valve control and I am still waiting for it in the mail.

17. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I've been told that the quality of Capristo and NR exceeds that of IPE - by quite a bit.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Jasone, you are correct the factory maintenance program could be a lot better.

Getting back to the exhaust, I suggest keeping it stock for a little while, and then deciding what you want. I also have several fun cars and I've learned a lesson that just because you can make it louder doesn't mean you should. I think a lot of this comes down to how you view your F12. For me it is a GT car, the gentleman's Ferrari so to speak. So I doubt I would really want to affect that quality with a much louder exhaust. On the other hand, my 458 is a sports car and I love the louder setup I've put on it.

19. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Capristo by far better than IPE - nice setup you chose, btw!

20. markmoon

markmoon Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent thoughts. Thanks!!

21. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Makes sense to me, quality went up. They're looking long term at the cars, and offering the maintenance to keep used values up. It's a better built Fcar then ever.

22. YearOne

YearOne Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Henry Fletcher
    Awaiting my NR rear boxes and x pipe to arrive, hopefully they can be fitted this week in time for some weekend fun. NR and Capristo quality are both very good, IPE junk has no place on a Ferrari in my view....