Yet another engine noise | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yet another engine noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Aug 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    If you are going the belt removal route, the work involved means that you will be replacing then belts with new ones. Because of that, and because you can drive the car w/o the AC belt, I would cut that one off first. If that IS the solution to making the rattle go away, you can still drive the car until you have time to replace the offending bearing. If you remove all the belts, you can't go anywhere until you replace all of them.
    Glad it's not an internal engine malfunction!

2. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    #27 billh1963, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  3. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    You can spray a little penetrating oil on the AC belt to see if the AC belt is the issue. They definitely can make a crack the whip sound mimicking a cam click. If that fixes it, then replace the belt.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I don't have anything to add other than......you can hear a single valve out of spec???? Damn!!!! That s a good ear!!!

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #30 MvT, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Thanks for the comment guys! with yesterday's power down I didn't do a lot. Today I hope to do some things you guys suggested. I'm already more pleased after the compression check.

They are all new belts :)
    Reason was a little click I heard and it was gone after a new AC belt. This marble sounds similar but way louder and more frequent. I'll take it off by hand. It is not more then 60min of work :D I guess it would be the bearing if the belt didn't glass up if the sound would be gone when removing the AC belt.

Cambelts are 4 months old with 6000km/4000miles, but I will have a look when the lot is off, panels etc and closing the garage door.

Thanks Jay, the belt is not more then 4 months old, but not sure it glassed up. I actually didn't check replacing 4 valve shims. Since it was that new I didn't pay attention to it when putting it back on.

I guess I have, if I may say :) don't ask me how, but I hear a lot of things other people don't notice or hear. Can be sometimes a burden, when taking things a part and find zip or a blessing doing the same and find something!

One is difficult, but I guess I have at least 2 as I replaced 4 shims actually remembering looking back on the papers. Two other were very difficult to put 0.20mm (intake) and 0.30mm (exhaust) blades in. Replaced them too being in range. Slacky valves make a very distinguish rinkle sound, however you cannot hear it with the marble sound going on. I noticed it earlier when the lot warmed up after the marble sound was gone. Actually after the first run already, but I wanted to let things settle in for a few miles.

6. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    My belts are new as well (cam and accessories) but I still get noise when it's cold outside. I've actually seen the sparks....

7. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Wow! Vandegraaffgeneratortastic!!

8. Simon Millar

Simon Millar Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Poole, England
    Full Name:
    Buzz Boy
    Pawnhearts ...��

9. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I had a similar problem years ago. I cut the a/c belt, didn't want to go through the work and it was inoperable anyway. Problem went away and I haven't looked back. That is the nice thing if it's the a/c, you can fix that at your leisure. I'm voting that it is the a/c compressor. You can know in 5 minutes :D

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    If it's not the a/c compressor, I'm sorry about your belt

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #36 MvT, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    thanks Dirk!
    We have this nifty feature on the A/C bracket to lower is and pull the belt right off.

Well here it the outcome of the A/C belt:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spt8pexXbS0[/ame]

and I feel
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM[/ame]

12. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Nice! Another job well done!

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Don't you need to run the engine before you can truely be 'Happy?'

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :) yup that is true. will do that today. however I am pretty sure that David and others were spot on.

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, if that's the case you need a stethoscope mate, cos you would have picked that up real quick. I thought it was a deep in the engine kind of noise, not an external ancillary.
    Anyway, it's always good to have a compression test record.
    All the best, Bell

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Yeah actually I need, but I don't mind to take things apart :) I had the same thought to be honest and was a bit worried.

I still can hear some valves. Did you adjust them to the higher or lower spec range range? I actually always learned to adjust them on the high end so they have room to get to the low range over time when the valve and seat wear out over time.

Thanks guys for all the input!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Hd_RJIybs]Bye bye marble sound - YouTube[/ame]

17. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I set all my valves to the loose end of the scale because they do tighten up in time ;-)

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    .....................................okaaaayyy. Well... party continues I'm afraid. This morning a different knocking sound appeared (Not the marble sound). Also this one slowly goes away after 5min. Appears to be in the same area. AC belt is gone. I will make a new vid in a few days. I guess I said last time that for a next time I will be buying a stethoscope.

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, remember in one of my last posts I said I could hear a knocking noise...
    Page 2 I think...

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Yes, you can hear it in the end of the first vid indeed. It looks like a flapping sound. I need to say during driving on higher speeds above 60miles an hour I hear similar noise while the engine is warm however hardly noticable if you would not pay attention to it. Driving below this milage you hear it from time to time and not always. Slowly speeding up no change, but accelerating a bit more I can hear something again. I noticed this began slighty some 2000miles ago before my 10.000km oil change.

I'll take the whole belt lot, alternator and waterpump, off again to see if it still there. If it is. I'll take of the cam belt covers to exclude flapping of the belt(s) againt the cover(s).

21. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
  22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Not yet, we are having a small break the last few days in the middle ages in a town called Brugge (Belgium) perhaps this afternoon when we get home again else tomorrow. No fast cars here, but they do have horsies, carriages.

23. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Enjoy your stay in Bruges.
    This weekend I'll be heading to the coast also. There is the Belgian Vespa meeting.

24. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #49 MvT, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TY! Was too short!
    Nice! I guess you won't go by the Vespa ;) hehe

I didn't know they had disk breaks on horse carriages in the "Middle ages " :p and LED..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #50 Bell Bloke, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow do ya think that disc is ventilated enough?

''For all my Homies in Bruges''
    Beware of Dr Evil, Bruges is his home town.
    Now he's out from his 4 times life sentence he's doing the local DJ sene.

He had a massive hit with this in 2000ish, you may remember...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQDL6_rGfY]Dr Evil & Minime- Its A Hard Knock Life - YouTube[/ame]