Yes, It's another "what car should I buy?" thread..... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yes, It's another "what car should I buy?" thread.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Blue@Heart, Nov 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    Love the subaru SVX idea but they aren't manuals... but still worth a look!

But i also really really like the Saab 900 SE Turbo. They are really really fast and with a set of snow tires really solid in the cold weather. Also an early A6 or A4 could be very close to your 5000$ limit but expensive to fix.

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Where are you finding these cars for these prices? Do they all need work such as the Lotus you linked to in another post?

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Stay away from the early A4's. they are known to be plagued with problems. I don't think they were sorted out until 99 or 00. Check Audiworld or VWvortex to be sure though.

4. tony2ta

tony2ta Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2004
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Tony

Most of these cars I got from craigslist. Some of these need just minor work.

5. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    WOW GUYS!!!!

I'm LOVING a lot of the ideas! :D

Especially that gorgeous esprit!

As for the 914 and MR2, I'd love them and I've actually had my eye on an MR2 for a while. Couple of problems though, a mid-engine rear wheel drive car in a winter city won't go over too well, that and the fact that MR2's are closer to the $10,000 mark then the $5000 mark up here.

I like the SVX idea, I'm definatly gonna look into that some more.

Anyone have any thoughts on lancers? I know an early model evo sits at about the 7 mark and meets the AWD 5 speed criteria but I'm not sure how the reliability or parts are.

Thank you again guys for all the help! I've got a starting base to go from now but all the suggestions are really appreciated so please keep them coming! :D

6. ECTurboGSX

ECTurboGSX Formula 3

Dec 26, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We didn't get the Lancer Evo down here until the Evo 8, so our market is different than yours. We had the Eclipse GSX and Galant Vr-4 instead. If you can pick up an early Evo, 1 through 3 shared parts with the GSX and VR-4, so parts availability wouldn't really be an issue. Mine has 166k miles on it but is not currently running. If you keep up on maintaining the car and don't mod it too much, they are decently reliable and can be very quick.