Yes I am Insane: 400i Daily Driver | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yes I am Insane: 400i Daily Driver

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aleventhal, Nov 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    REALLY, REALLY cool cars! I've always loved the way the 400 looks, though I think the 412 is a little less attractive due to the raised rear deck height on those.

Please keep us informed (month-to-month would be nice, if convenient), as I've thought of doing what you're just beginning on SEVERAL occasions!

2. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Thanks guys for all the kind words and support. Bill Pollard (best ferrari mechanic on earth, IMHO) is going to help me tackle the fuse box issue one day next week, and I will keep everyone informed with status updates and lots of pics.

Thanks,

Alex

Dino #10704
    365BB #18265
    400i #049773

3. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Alex, good to hear there may be a fix on the horizon for the fusebox. I'd definitely stay away from running both pumps through the one side, as was indicated earlier in the email thread, this likely will overload that one side. If you can't get it to work without overloading, I do know there are places on the web that will build you a custom heavy duty fuse box if you send them your existing (overloaded) box. I'm not sure if you car has the spade fuses (instead of the torpedo fuses) but the spade fuses are the way to go. Keeping the fuse box connections clean and the box free of humidity goes a long way to extending the life of the box. Good luck and post some more pics of your beauties there!

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #54 sjmst, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You get an unqualified 100% approval from me on all counts! Nice car, great choice and keep us informed. Love the color and plates too. You've got to hang out with us, and of course keep a running log on this adventure for all of us to share.
    BTW, here is my marronne one little Fiat:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Love the Fiat Spyder - I have always wanted one of those cars. See you are on long insland - my parents live in the five towns, and my 365BB (#18265) is at Tom P.'s autosport as we speak (I sit on the board of directors of the Aston Club, so Tom and I have become friends). We should defintetely hook up for a ride some time!

With respect to the fusebox, the consensus seems to be that the right answer is to simply bypass that fuse box for the high load circuits such as the fuel pumps - run them right off the battery with an inline fuse and a relay to turn them on/off with the key. I will let everyone know how that goes.

Thanks,

Alex

6. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Great, that's the way to go. I am on your side 100%. Would be nice to see some pics of a complete dirty driven 400 in NYC' streets.

I would vote for thread of the month!!

All the best and keep it safe,
    Cordiali saluti,
    JR

7. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds good, keep an eye on the NY section. You can take the Fiat for a spin.
    Sam

8. mozola

mozola Karting

Oct 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been lurking for a month or two but I have to step forward and say that making the 400 a daily driver is awesome. Congrats and I hope it works out.

9. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    What's the latest on the 400 daily-driver? How are things working out so far?

10. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #60 aleventhal, Dec 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Things are going great. The fuse box issue was solved (with some new terminals and a liberal application of stabilant 22), and since then the car has performed absolutely flawlessly (with the exception of the oil burning, but that is a known issue). I have driven the car into NYC several times, including in some light snow / slush, and it did not complain at all, although the snow performance is poor enough that I am putting four bridgestone blizzak snows on it (on 328 wheels) at the end of this week. That should help. :)

Other than putting four snows on it, the only issue I have with it in the cold weather is that on the highway the water and oil temps drop back almost to the cold peg, leaving little in the way of heat. A peice of cardboard in front of the radiator should fix this, however.

Here are a couple of shots - in the snow in the country and one filthy at the foot of walls street and the fdr in nyc.

Thanks for the interest,

Alex

11. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    aleventhal,
    How much oil are you burning?

12. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    The oil level goes from the Max to the Min on the dipstick in one tank of highway driving. On a normal car that is not so bad, but on a 400 the space between max and min is 4.5 quarts!?!?!?!? The only saving grace is that the car holds 19.5 quarts, so it is not like it will run out. :) Car runs great (really - does not foul plugs, great power, runs cool), but clearly needs an engine rebuild asap to correct this.

13. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    19.5 qts is that right? Wow thats amazing!

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Since you probably get about 300 miles on a 31 gallon tank, that means that a quart of oil is combusting out the tailpipes every 67 miles or so!

If you haven't had the engine rebuilt by next summer, you could pick up some extra cash by offering your services in mosquito control by driving through various neighborhoods! ;-)

With 19.5 quarts of oil going into the sump of the 400i, a routine oil change of Mobil 1 (on sale) with UFI filters on my car is a $150 event even if I do it myself!

At a burn rate of 4.5 quarts/tank, you are esentially changing your oil every 4 tanks of gas. It may be expensive but at least you always have fresh oil in the engine!

John

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep.

16. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Jeez. 4.5 quarts in a tank of gas. You don't have any blue smoke? Wow. Are you sure it's not something like an aft cam cover leak/valve job needed?

17. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Nope - its not a leak - the oil is definetely going through the engine and out the exhaust. It does not smoke at idle, but it does smoke at WOT, and the rear of the car gets rather sooty. The problem is on the front four holes of the passenger side bank (these plugs show oil deposits). The leakdown on these four is fine (less than 2%) so the theory is bad oil control rings (a problem Ferrari was known for in the 80s, particularly on 2v 308s). We will figure it out when we get the motor apart, anyway. The real mysteries to me is a)how can it burn this much oil and still run VERY well and b)why does it not leak down (although the ring issue does answer this one).

I will, of course, keep everyone informed of what happens with more miles, and what we find when we tear it down - although we need to finish my boxer motor before we can start this one.

Alex

18. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    How many miles does the engine have?

19. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Almost 45k - and major service with valve adjustment etc. 2 years ago.

Alex

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Did the previous owner say anything about the oil consumption? Did it do it before the major service?

21. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    It did not do this before or after the major service, at least not to this degree - coincedentally, my mechnic (who I have been using with GREAT results for 10+ years) did it (for the PO, before I purchased it) and does not recall any smoking etc. So, it appears the problem started in earnest some time in the last two years - well after the major (or the mechanic would have prolly been blamed, even though nothing in the major could cause this), but before my purchase in August.

Alex

22. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    I like the "400 in the snow" picture very much....

23. Timp

Timp Rookie

Oct 8, 2005
    Great to read about a fellow 400 daily user. I'm using my 78 400A as a daily driver and loving it. It is the one featured in the recent Forza article, which I picked up at the Monterey Auctions a few months back. It has been very reliable and a joy to drive. It benefitted form a carb tune up, cleaning all the fuse contacts, got to keep an eye on the oil, and had some squeaky brakes that needed TLC. I drive the auto by manually changing gears which are pretty crisp....however I'm starting to inquire about putting a modern manual box in it as I'm wondering if I'll wear out the auto box the way I drive it. Seems it would be the perfect move to enjoy the engine more. Anyone out there have experience with this ?

24. skyboltone

skyboltone Karting

Jan 16, 2006
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Dan Hall
    That's interesting oil consumption to say the least. I had an old Ford PU many years ago, you know the type, three colors of primer, three different sized tires, no bumpers and the passenger door tied shut with some wire. The thing went down the road like some kind of crazy horse that couldn't figure out which lead it was on.

Anyway, on a trip from Craig Colorado to San Jose CA I had to stop every 60 miles and add three quarts of oil. It held five. Some said the truck was invisible from 100' behind. Made strange noises too. Kinda hated to see it go. A conversation piece that one.

Dan

25. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Timp,
    If you have the gm400 trans, you should be fine. Also, there is a 6sp gear box that a company makes to convert auto jag xjs v12's (they use the gm400 trans also) and it apparently makes the performance increase night and day, as well as fuel mileage increase dramatically. I'd look into that conversion.