Yellow Paint on screws etc | FerrariChat

Yellow Paint on screws etc

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by testamon, Sep 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Is there any consistent method with which F painted the various screws on clamps etc? I have seached many photos etc and see no consistent trend as to what they actually painted with their yellow peril. Some screws have just the head painted some go from head to washer to thread etc. What is the conform? Thanks

2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    they may have painted the screws so they knew they had tightened them. I use the same method when I angle torque cylinder head bolts at the shop. Just a swipe in any manner is all it takes ( no required pattern)

3. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Witness paint serves two purposes. As Blown has suggested, it attests to the builder that they had tightened the bolt or nut in question. When tightening many fasteners over several days or weeks, it is easy to forget, " Did I or didn't I ?" But, in the future, it acts as an indicator of loosening of the fastener. Hence, I believe it is important to extend the paint in such a fashion as to cross the junction from the rotating piece to the non-rotating (stationary) member. Thus, I always apply witness paint across the nut to the bolt threads, or the head of the bolt to the part being clamped (head, timing cover, etc.). In this way, should the nut or bolt loosen, the paint will crack. When inspecting the part in the future, the cracked paint will jump out at you.

Jim S.

4. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Thanks for the replies. Just in the final stages of detailling and so trying to get as much of the detail correct.