Yellow Mclaren F1 in Mooresville? | FerrariChat

Yellow Mclaren F1 in Mooresville?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by drewsteriam5, Sep 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    A couple days ago my brother and mom said they saw a ferrari driving on the opposite side of the road, so they came to me asking what it was because I am the only one in the family that knows cars. I showed my brother and mom pictures of f355s 360s and f430s and they said it wasnt any of them. They dont know cars very well so I gave up hope thinking it could be any supercar until today when I was browsing the internet and a picture of the back end of a mclaren f1 came up and my brother insisted that that was the car he saw. My mom came in and confirmed it but they only really saw the back end so they are not 100% positive. I was wondering if anyone had seen any mclaren f1 around the mooresville/lake norman area, or if there was any other car that had a rear end similar to the mclaren f1.

2. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    #2 BrianC, Sep 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    A yellow F1 was recently sold in Monterey, CA at auction. The new owners are in NY if I recall correctly. Maybe it was visiting the area?

4. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    #4 BrianC, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #5 Dincenzo, Sep 13, 2006
    Maybe the Lotus Exige. There are several other cars with
    that rear windshield and the top air scoop. And don't
    forget the kitcars and ricers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    My parents and brother are all out shopping right now but when they get back I will ask them if it was the lotus. Seeing a lotus seems more likely around here. I have seen a grey lotus before but never yellow so i will have to ask them. I wish I could have been there because I have never seen a real high performance ferrari or mclaren. Now that i think of it, the fastest car i have ever seen in real life was either a lotus elise, Porsche 911, or corvette z06.

7. rbf41000

rbf41000 Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Russell
    A guy I met a couple of times has a yellow Lotus.
    I think he comes from a few miles north of Charlotte, works down (up) town and parkes in my parking deck. Licence plate ENG/AND. Bet you cant guess his nationality.

Russell

8. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    Just asked my brother if it was the lotus and he said that definently was not it. Any other suggestions, he also said it was bigger than the lotus.

9. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No offence but how old is your brother? And would he really know an F1 if he saw one? I am not sure even I would at first glance.

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #10 L8Braker, Sep 14, 2006
  11. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    There is a yellow Ultima GTR in the area, that is probably what they saw. I have seen it and from the rear can esily be mistaken for the Mclaren.

Wade

12. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    I showed my brother the picture of the Ultima GTR and he said that wasnt it. He is positive that it only has 4 lights in the back, and still insists it was the mclaren. My brother is 12, and while he does not recognize names of cars he will remember what it looks like.

13. BrianC

BrianC Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    North Augusta, SC
    Full Name:
    Brian C
    #13 BrianC, Sep 14, 2006
  14. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

Sorry, but no way. At 12 I could barely tell one Ferrari from another. And we had a few.

15. 968RS

968RS Rookie

Sep 14, 2006
    My first post! Every McLaren is currently accounted for in the Country, and none are in NC. Doesn't mean one doesn't poke around, but none permantly. There are a few owners who do drive their cars though, some with over 50k miles. There is some money here in NC though, so there is a chance one made it down and isn't accounted for. I am also not considering that some of the owners don't have second homes here...esp. if they were Nascar nuts.

Wes

Edit - As I was looking around though, you mentioned the four tail lights. There are a few S7's in NC, and I know of two in the Charlotte/Mooresville area. I don't know of any Yellow ones, but I am sure there are/is atleast one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Actually we have two F1s that are known to be here in the USA, but unaccounted for as far as its owner and/or location are concerned. One is orange (#038) and the other red (#028). The red car should be in SoCal, but details are still fuzzy. The orange car was in Georgia but has fallen off the radar for now. I suspect we will pick it back up eventually as it's hard to miss. Unless someone painted that car yellow (possible), that wasn't it as this color orange could not be confused with yellow in case anyone was thinking that.

The only yellow F1 in the country (#011) recently went from NorCal to NY as BMW.SauberF1Team mentions. If it wasn't that car - and I strongly suspect it would not have been - then it wasn't an F1 that he saw.

I'd say if there is a yellow Ultima GTR or Saleen S7 in the area that there is a much better chance that is what he saw. To prevent this problem in the future he will just have to do what I used to do, and that is to take a camera with him everywhere he goes. :)

>8^)
    ER

17. drunkenmaster16x1

drunkenmaster16x1 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2005
    D/FW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    LMAO

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Someone just wrote and article about a 1000 plus mile trip in a F1, it was just restored to the tune of over 300K by the factory. As I remember, there were pictures of it driven on dirt, and the grader and crusher ran before it to even out the dirt! I think it came from Florida.

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That was Miles Collier in chassis #022 which was painted green during that factory refit. Their 1000 mile trip was done across the state of Montana. The car normally resides in the Collier Auto Museum in Naples, FL.

>8^)
    ER

20. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    One day I will bring myself to do something like that!

21. drewsteriam5

drewsteriam5 Rookie

Mar 11, 2006
    Mooresville
    I think we have a winner. Both my brother and mom confirmed the Saleen S7. I showed them this picture (http://www.imca-slotracing.com/images/Rear-Saleen.jpg) and they said that was it. The part that confirmed it was the second black space where the license plate goes. Obviously it didnt have the decals and the wing that the race car has but that was it. Thanks for all your help.

22. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #22 Peloton25, Sep 15, 2006
  23. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Well if it wasnt the Saleen, maybe a Murcielago

I was having dinner at Joels Sushi tonight around 9 and saw a yellow Murcie in the parking lot. could have been the car.

Wade

24. The Zapper

The Zapper Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2004
    Munich
    Is that the same Murci that belongs to a race car driver? Or is this one unaccounted for?

25. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Not sure did not get to talk to the guy, had the family with me and if I see something like that the wife usually goes into her, "can't we have a nice dinner without you talking to someone about a car". LOL

Anyway, if I see it again I will certainly approach the guy

Wade