Yellow 10523 vs. Purple 10523 | FerrariChat

Yellow 10523 vs. Purple 10523

Discussion in '206/246' started by Beta Scorpion, Sep 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #1 Beta Scorpion, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently found out that Napolis now owns the yellow Dino Prototype 10523 (I saw 'Ocatne' magazine today) and wondered if there is any new info about the two matching numbers from any communications with Pininfarina or Ferrari?

Mostly curiosity to me now, but the purple street car 10523 was in our family for many years. I never really grasped the coincidence of the serial numbers when we owned the car. I do recall many years ago my father once trying to convince me that ours was supposed to have a longitudinal engine, and I suspect that confusion arose from info relating to the yellow car Napolis now owns.

Funny that I have know about, and been a fan of the Yellow prototype since the early 70s, (Paolo Martin design, like the Beta Scorpion) but I never realized it had 10523 on its chassis until recently.

Based on documents form the Ferrari factory in Italy we were pretty confident purple 10523 was the first PRODUCTION 206. ie the first one after all the prototypes.

Purple 10523 was purchased for a pittance in the 80s, as it was the victim of an engine fire that melted the aluminum on the back of the car. Original intention was to make a beater or track car. We already painted it red paint before we understood the significance of its weirdo serial number. Subsequently we did a complete restoration along with re-painting it in it's original purple. (I know this was difficult for dad as his reflex action when acquiring a new car was to re-paint it in some non-original color :)). (hope you are not reading this dad...) We tried to match some inner body parts that still contained remnants of the original viola.

My father did most of the restoration as I was in college and residency for 21 of the years we owned the car. I never even had a chance to drive the car! (Too bad also, because not I am in line only for the inheritance of a P4 replica now :( )

I searched Fchat and most of the discussion of these two cars seemed to be BEFORE Napolis acquired the Yellow 10523, thus the new thread.

Here are pictures of the two cars, for those new to this discussion.

That picture of purple 10523 is as it was in our modest shop in 1991, right after completion of restoration. The film was not color balanced for the fluorescent lamps, thus it looks kind of black.
    I have never seen yellow 10523 in person, and that photo came off the internet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #2 Napolis, Nov 4, 2008
    Hi

Yes this is a strange one. My Dino is built on a 206S chassis which was originally thought to be 034 but when it was sent to PF to be turned into a show car it was stamped 10523. It's engine and gear box are longitudinal and and ran at Le Mans in 66 likely in 008.

Cheers

3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    This is what Denny Shue's DinoRegister says:

"1967
    S/N 034 ** Frankfurt Auto Show car. Displayed with the title of "Dino Berlinetta Prototipo

Competizione Pininfarina".

(Design Study) In-line engine placement. A show car with

extreme front and rear spoilers, yellow

exterior, black interior, light blue

carpets. Coachwork by Pininfarina.

**Note** Pininfarina work order number 10523 called

for the special coachwork on this Dino 206S

chassis."

Both cars have nothing in common except the VIN, seems to be #034 was restamped to #10523 for some reason? #10523 is the only odd serial number for Dino's. It's a mystery I believe nobody has solved right now. Napolis should have the chance and good connections to check all about at PF, would be a great story for all Dino enthusiasts around the world!

By the way: the "second" #10523 would match perfectly to Napolis new dream car to make the story complete.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    All the paperwork we could find couldn't answer the mystery.

5. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Well, I guess that is what I was looking for.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #6 Marcel Massini, Nov 5, 2008
  7. 26667

26667 Rookie

Nov 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Pesch
    Hello Beta Scorpion! I saw your dad last night. He is an old friend of my dad’s. I reintroduced myself to him, as it has been many years since I’ve seen him. I remember when he finished his 206 the second time! I was invited (on behalf of my dad) to his Ferrari party. He was gracious enough to allow me to video record a walk around of the car, and a few candid moments of him. An evening I won’t soon forget. After seeing him last night and then talking with my dad today, I was curious about the car, tried to google it, and came upon this thread. Best wishes, Joe Pesch, Jr.

dave80gtsi likes this.
  8. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Too bad a car like this can't stay in the family, especially when the grandkids are auto geeks.