YEHAW!!! Car parts... etc. made in the EU, now duty-free in Canada! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

YEHAW!!! Car parts... etc. made in the EU, now duty-free in Canada!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 4th_gear, Nov 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Very good advice, thank you!

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I just imported a Lamborghini from the US last week and exhaustively researched a loophole to bring it in duty free. No luck of any kind so I was on the hook for 6.1% which is then subject to HST. Yes you read that right you pay tax on the duty.

of2worlds and cavlino like this.
  3. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    That's unfortunate but its good that you tried. So say the Lambo was 100k USD, that gets converted to CAD and then that amount gets charged duty at 6.1% and then that final amount is charged HST, correct?

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Correct. The only addition is that there is a $100 tax for air conditioning that is fit in before the HST is applied.

Also if the car is newer than 2007 it would be subject to a gas guzzler tax. For me the Lambo was older than that otherwise it would have been another $4K. The fees and taxes add up like crazy

cavlino and of2worlds like this.
  5. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Thank you for the refresher! Its been about 10 years since I imported a 1995 Porsche 993 from NJ so... interesting ahem disgusting to read about the gas guzzler tax! But thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

6. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    Now if I can just figure out how to order Ferrari parts from the EU to Canada and then transport them into the US as used..... hmmmm.

7. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    On taxes every province is different. Each province has a deal with customs to collect taxes, etc. Not sure about other provinces, but here in BC, most times they don't bother hauling people in too pay duty on parts. Even European parts. That is if you collect the parts in America and bring them yourself to Canada/British Columbia. Here there is many businesses that hold packages for pick up for Canadians.

this is who I use: http://letterlock.rsstores.net/Your-Receiving-Address

My Porsche mechanic also uses them and never pays duty coming back into Canada. They can't be bothered.