Year round? | FerrariChat

Year round?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Statler, Jan 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Gorgeous day today (sunny and hovering around freezing) so took the car the long way to lunch from office.

Who drives all year (assuming no salt down) and who packs car away until spring?

(Related note: it's getting harder to find people who want to sail in February/March).

2. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I would drive it today if I didn't have the interior all apart.

3. ViperTT

ViperTT Karting

Apr 5, 2011
    I'll drive as long as the roads are not salty.

4. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    I drive year round unless salt is on the road. Or if where I am going is no fun anyway in which case I drive the Tahoe. Jon in Delaware

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
  6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Yes, I keep the cars ready to go until the salt hits the ground.

It is going to be in the 50s this weekend. If it is dry, I plan to be on the bike or in one of the cars.

We've had a nice and long season this year. Let's hope it keeps going!

LSJ

7. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Until the salt goes down, car is always ready to ride. I just make sure everything is warm and ready to go..

8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I will use mine year round as long as the roads are not salted. Last year was horrible in this area for winter drives.

Last weekend I had the 360 out chasing a 360 Spider with the top down!

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Took Mine to the dentist then the store today. Around 40 in January ain't bad

10. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    One of the reasons I always hated driving MY Mondial ;) and the TR in the winter is the lack of a thermostat on the oil cooler. It took absolutely forever for the oil to get up to temperature and on a cold winter day in the TR especially, with its enormous dry sump and massive coolers you could drive all day and it might not get up to true operating temperature. Drove me nuts.

The Porsche and MGB warm up fairly quickly, but I have serious OCD as you know, and the thought of pushing cold 20w/50 oil in the winter is more than I can bare ;)

11. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've driven my new-to-me 456 every day this fairly cold week. Dropped kids off at school before going to work. As long as no rain/snow/salt, no problem in 308 or 456 down to about 30F for the day's high. I think it's better for them than having them sit.

This winter, if you can call it that, has been great so far.

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Joe, you could temporarily block off the oil coolers. I did that with a race car that would otherwise never get any oil temp on the street.

A lot warmer in DC today...if there are any breaks in the rain over the weekend, I plan to be on the road.

LSJ

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sunday's forecast is near 60 and NOT raining.

14. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Sounds awesome. And I'm not working this weekend! I need to take it out for a bit as I forgot to put the fuel stabilizer in the tank when I drove it last (thinking that was going to be it for the season). Need to burn some carbon to get room to put more gas in the tank!

15. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Still using my rides every opportunity. Waiting for the first salt truck to appear, then game is over :(

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    As long as it's dry and the roads aren't salty, I drive it year round.

17. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    My 575 was a daily driver for until my 2nd was born in 2010. I drive it often in the winter provided the roads are permissible and not salty.

18. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I haven't really winterized my vehicles in a long time. With the crazy weather patterns we've had in recent years, the opportunity to enjoy the roads presents itself regularly even in winter.

I've already had the cars and bikes out 6-8 times since mid Jan.

Some of my early morning February drives felt like May. Tshirts, sunglasses and windows down...

It has been amazing to say the least.

LSJ