Yamaha ZF1......anyone own one? | FerrariChat

Yamaha ZF1......anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by kizdan, Jun 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am contemplating buying a used '08 Yamaha FZ1. Anybody have any comments on this bike, or are able to share ownership experiences?

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Awesome bike. haven't owned one, but ridden them. It is basically an R1 with a more ergonomic seating position and handlebars. It has pretty much all the performance of an R1, which is extensive.

Plus the new FZ1's look awesome and Yamahas are very nice bikes (had R1's myself)

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    almost bought two Yamaha's- an FZ6 (before I bought my Ducati) and an R6 (before I bought my CBR).

in both cases the ergonomics just didn't work for me, mostly due to wide seats and/or seat height (I'm 5'6").

otherwise, they're great bikes and the FZ's are very popular in Europe where sport bikes are used as all-weather commuter bikes.

4. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #4 kizdan, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats! enjoy it :)

6. SKXF430

SKXF430 Karting

Oct 19, 2004
    W. Los Angeles
    Nice bike.

Now if they would only put in the cross plane R1 engine next year.

7. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Great bike. I've got a 2002... different bike than the new one... but the larger/older version suits me better.

The new version rocks. smaller, lighter, has a better suspension set up out of the box. Our track days school runs them.. and they are fantastic bikes.

8. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a '02. It was a nice bike, but I felt that it was trying to be something it wasn't. Great motor and riding position, but it didn't fit in with the sportbike(too heavy), cruisers, standard crowds or other groups. It's been years since I owned it, but I think there are more bikes our now that fit in the same grouping so you won't feel out of place.

9. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    There is a huge FZ1 forum for tons of info. I tuned a "Fizzy" for a friend. The bike made "hooliganism" verrrrry easy!

Like the RD/RZ series from the past, it had a bad case of "helium wheel" (if, ya know what I mean!)