Yachts | FerrariChat

Yachts

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by WILLIAM H, Mar 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    who wouldnt

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Lots of good deals post Katrina.... I've been looking =)

Seriously though most I've seen are under 60'.... That tells me that those who had anything over 100 feet had the smarts and the $ to get their boat the hell out of the way and those who didn't said, "I'm tired of paying for it, it's insured and threw a party..."show me the money!"

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    If you are interested in about 1/2 that size, I think my parents are going to sell theirs after their trip to the Bahamas this spring/summer. Will probably be on the market in August. The boat was featured at the Ft.Lauderdale? boat show a few years ago. Took over 1 year to build.
    3-yr old Jack Sarin designed Symbol 68' Pilothouse. Master suite and 2 more bedrooms. Enclosed pilothouse. Captains quarters. The boat has has traveled the inland waterway from Vero Beach to Maine and back twice, and has also spent many months playing in the Bahamas. Can be piloted by an experienced boater or just one captain.
    PM me if interested in viewing. Boat is in Vero Beach.
    http://www.symbolyachts.com/Index.asp?ID=19&ID2=1

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Like a ferrari the puchase price is just a down payment on the maintanance cost, only more so..

The old adage, if it floats, flys or f***ks youre better off renting. But then there are some really cool boats out there.

Size = maintanance. Up to about 50ft you dont need a crew. Do you want to deal with crew, on the other hand do you want to wash the salt off your own boat and organise food gas etc each time you go out.

My advice go for a big fountain, lots of speed, fun to drive and good for the occasional overnight run.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Will, I can see you in that boat you posted. It be perfect...park it in Miami, take weekend trips in it down to the Keys. Pimp Factor: Awesome.

It probably is big enough that you can park the car you are driving that day on its rear deck. I can see an F40 there...on that be so hot.

7. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    commision one(if you can) then sell at a massive profit... repeat... one of my dads clients did this, started with a 145' and once finished had offers on it well over its orginal price... sold it, now 4 boats later is building a 200+ (around 220' i think) and is expecting a nice profit

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I'm a captain and have run a 200 ft boat for a living before, you would be amazed at what it takes not including money) to maintain a boat over 100ft.

just crew cost a year will run the 100,000 for two part time, (bare minimum)
    they the insurance and slip fees, slip fees alone can top 10,000 a month.
    plus cost of slips when traveling, call atlantis dock master and ask the slip fees for a week on a 100ft boat.

fuel cost is around 500 a day. at any given time on a 100ft boat there is something broken, that would equal the price of a 308 major.
    trust me I know, our operating budget was 100,000 a year just for mait.

look at Trinity, Feadship, and Palmer Johnson, they are alll GREAT boats.

lots of people like Amels, too.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hi John, good to hear from you again. I may need your advice soon on getting a boat (maybe houseboat) in the Panama City area.

Dale

10. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I stayed away for about 3 months, then I missed you guys ;)
    there are some NICE houseboats out there especially in your neck of the woods and out west. They can be BIG bucks though, my dad bought one in Florida last year, but sold it after the summer. used it 5 times I think, can you say "stupid tax" ;)

11. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    I was at Atlantis Resort last week and saw Apogee, Cakewalk (one of my favs) Mustang Sally, and Lady in Blue. ;)

check out Octopus 400+ feet !! No. 1 this year.........

http://powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/

12. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have a 127'. i guess i could field a few questions.

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    sweet, photos ?

My Grandfather had a 70 ft back in the 60s. He used it for R & D for a marine products line

14. Cicero

Cicero Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    my wife saw Nick Cages 163' in bahamas last month. Name was "Sea Ghost" Met the boat captians for Lou Bacardi, Curtis (as in Curtis P40 Warhawk) Ray Croc widow and some other famous types. They said they get paid about $125K a year and perks with the owners.

We watched passengers flow off the boats then crew of 5 or so started hosing off salt and scrubbing windows. Glamour quickly faded of boat captian life. We met one wife of boat captain and she said enjoy your stay in ft lauderdale yet we were in bahamas. oh to forget which island you are on!

15. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wally 118... carbon fiber toilet seats! :)

Last summer when we were in Nantucket we saw the "Georgia"; supposedly the largest sailboat in the world. Can anybody confirm this?

16. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #16 Horsefly, Mar 28, 2006
  17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The Athena is in Miami now, gorgeous 120 ft + sailing yacht

18. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
  19. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I wish I were in Miami now... soon, soon....

20. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    APOGEE 205'0"
    Darwin Deason, head of Affiliated Computer Services in Texas, told Vanity Fair he spent $66 million to build this yacht. So what’d he put onboard? A Wurlitzer jukebox in the dancing area, a.k.a. the Apogee Club Bar; a 22-foot-long bar; and five guest staterooms, each named for a different Greek island in honor of the heritage of his girlfriend, Katerina Panos.

21. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #21 PerryJ, Mar 28, 2006
  22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #22 WILLIAM H, Mar 28, 2006
  23. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #23 PerryJ, Mar 28, 2006
  24. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Is carbon Fiber that strong? Like, could you make a floor out of Carbon fibre and walk on it with out it breaking?

25. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #25 PerryJ, Mar 28, 2006