Yacht Values | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yacht Values

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by indaville, May 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tpower22

tpower22 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2005
    Southwest
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The common rule of thumb with boats is that it will cost 25% of the purchase price to maintain it each year.

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #27 Horsefly, May 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a good 50 foot project yacht just waiting for you. An old wooden Chris Craft Constellation. (Darth loves this particular photo, so I thought that I would post it again for him as well.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I have a 2001 Model Sea Ray 340 Sundancer for sale. I have owned it for 15 months, we have used it a good bit and now I want to move up to a larger sailboat to keep on the ocean.

My boat has just under 370 hours on the engines, loaded with all the options and toys, in perfect condition, always on freshwater, always in a covered slip and its still under warranty which I think can be transferred. If not MarineMax will sell you a warranty.

Since I bought it, oil change costs are my only expenses other than insurance, slip and such. It has been a rock solid and fun boat. Its plenty big enough for a family of 4 to enjoy a weekend but still small enough that handling it is a snap. It has A/C, generator, full galley, head, cockpit refrig and wet bar, hot water heater and transom shower.... all the fun stuff. PM if interested.

Sea Ray makes a great boat. For a production boat at their price point I dont think you can do better.

As for holding their value.... thats not what boats do. That said, a 4-5 year old boat will depreciate much less than a brand new one! The only way buying a boat makes sense is if you REALLY plan on using it frequently!

Terry

4. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Hey HORSEFLY,

just a little gelcoat and some elbow grease, it'll be looking good as new.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Avoid the boat maintenance headaches and do what I did: buy waterfront real estate instead, then buy a small boat to go run around on when you need your water fix. My little 20ft boat is a piece of cake to handle and take care of, and my house is appreciating nicely with minimum upkeep. I have the best of both worlds.

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I prefer the look of older boats but I've heard that the old wooden Chris Crafts are massive work to restore. I found a 45 footer and a 49 footer of early 1950s vintage, but both need a total restoration. How many weekends can any one person devote to non-stop sanding and varnishing? Most projects of that magnitude have no light at the end of the tunnel. Probably better to just buy a vacation ticket to the Bahamas instead of pumping money into that "hole in the water". Even if you could get an old boat for FREE, the time, effort, and money required for a proper restoration would put you deeper into "the hole".

7. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    That picture makes me cry! This is one one of the last wood boats... Ok guys, who receieved the LAST wood boat Chris Craft made?

He was in Baseball, but not a player...

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    An educated guess off the top of my head,...........Gene Autry???

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    As soon as I saw your name on this thread I rolled my eyes!

You are as predictable as the sunrise!

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #35 Horsefly, May 9, 2006
  11. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I know the answer, and I think you meant football and not baseball.

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #37 Horsefly, May 9, 2006
    Since Darth needs some "fresh" nautical meat, here are 2 photos that I received of another old Chris Craft. They are both the "allegedly" same boat. The top photo was supposedly taken years ago, and the boat is currently stored on a trailer, i.e., the bottom photo. But several things make me believe that they are not the same boat. Yellow lines indicate some differences in a comparison that I had photochopped a while back.
    It's an old Chris Craft of about 1953 vintage. Supposedly a 45 footer. But the top boat looks longer than the bottom boat.
    What say ye old Chris Craft aficianados? Same boat or "bait & switch"? Or perhaps merely dazed and confused and I was sent an incorrect photo of it "in the water?"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    I think you are right! Sorry, I do not have my Chris Craft book here!

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Do you realize this is the most you've said to me in 3 years?

I may shed a tear.

15. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Different boat. Take a close look at the side glass on the main deck. Bottom boat only has a single one, top boat has much more glass, and also looks longer.

Darrell.

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Here's my guess... Overall it looks like the same boat to me.

There appears to be plastic over the front window and some sort of tarp over the side windows (making it look like a single window).

Boat on the trailer looks like it's been sanded, in prep for paint. It would have made sense to remove the side trim/bumpers when doing this.

I think it's just some junk on the front, not multiple holes.

Paint line looks the same to me.

Bow trim/detail looks the same.

Bow light appears to be in the same position

Lookout (?), while seemingly more offset on the bottom pic seems like a special detail that not every model would have.

I'm no expert....

I would love to have one of those old boats someday though.