YABTP: Making the "Battery Conditioner Connected" light | Page 4 | FerrariChat

YABTP: Making the "Battery Conditioner Connected" light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wkumari, Dec 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Still looking for an answer for this, has anyone with a 360 successfully used this cable?

2. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    #77 rugby, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This cable adapter will work if your 360 is equipped with the optional charging connector mounted in the brake fluid reservoir compartment (see below).

In the earlier model year 360's, the instrument cluster does not contain the battery charger symbol. The instrument cluster may have been modified for the later MY cars to add this. If your car has it, it should light up momentarily on start-up along with all the other symbols.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Thanks for that detailed info... my car is in for MOT at the moment, I shall check once it returns later this week.

4. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Anyone asking for 488 cables yet? Looks like Ferrari has a better ctek now than the old one. Also they use the new magnetic connector so not sure if that is available to make a new ctek pigtail without cutting it off and using it from the OEM factory one.

Might need cable if the OEM charger ever dies.

5. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yes, I've made a CTEK to new Ferrari magnetic connector cables -- actually it was for a 2016 California T, not a 488, but it seems to be the same (expensive and tricky to get in the US) connector.

I've just ordered some more of the connectors and will make up a batch of the new style adaptor cables.

I've been thinking of making 2 different lines of cables - one "premium" and one "economy". The current cables (with the old style connector) each take more than an hour to make (I'm obsessive about contact quality, tinning, crimping, then soldering the contacts; strain-relief and moisture-proofing; heatshrink, CTEK Comfort Indicator connectors, etc) - this makes the current cables ~$125 (and the new magnetic connectors are more expensive, and so would drive the cost up some).

I could make a much cheaper, but still good quality cable for much less, which some folk might prefer -- by using the non-indicator cables, not being quite so obsessive I could make them much cheaper - probably around half that price...

6. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Warren,

Good to hear you are still making them and can also do so for the magnetic style on the 488 and Cali. I don't have a 488 right now, but when I order mine or pick one up I will definitely want a cable so I have flexibility on the Ctek I want to use vs using only Ferrari supplied Ctek.

Also, I agree with you to keep the cables at that higher price and the obsessive high quality and care you take in making them. No reason for us Ferrari guys to skimp here on quarter million plus cars. I have one of your cables for my 458 and the attention to the big and small details on these is appreciated.

I'll reach out when my 488 is inbound! (or maybe just grab one well before it is)

7. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Just sharing my solution is to use a cigarette plug adapter - Porsche trickle charger which is CTEK - from my previous 911. Works perfectly on my 355. You can't miss it's connected when you jump in the car.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Did the same in my 355, but from the 360 forward, the cigarette lighter is switched with the ignition, so this will not work.

9. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    I too have started to drive out of the garage. Put the charger, if its large enough or a wheel chock in the direction you move to get out of the garage. I have a Opima Charger, which is big enough to use as a chock. I was planning on putting a lanyard disconnect inline with the direction of travel out. That way if I had a total brain fart, no damage would occur. If I can't remember to disconnect the charger, maybe I shouldn't be driving.

10. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    ... and the "new style" magnetic connectors just showed up, and I've cooked up a few cables.
    This new connector looks like this: https://goo.gl/photos/xbX3M2wVsoCyMuGB7 and seems to be being used on the turbo cars.

Here are some pictures of the cables (and my small tester box): https://goo.gl/photos/Cuzjr7L8xDkAHoJh8

W

f355spider likes this.
  11. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Oh, worth noting -- it seems that the cars with the new style connectors (e.g California T, 488, etc) no longer have the "charger connected" light / icon -- the connector simply doesn't have the 'sense' wire.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No 'sense" wire means no ignition interlock either? That seems a step backward...

13. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yah, it does, doesn't it?!

The new connectors are near the license plate light on the 488 and are magnetic (like the MagSafe connector on an Apple Macbook), and so I guess the theory is that it will break-away if you forget to disconnect it...

But, yup, seems incredibly stupid to me...

14. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I agree that I think their logic was the magsafe connector eliminates the need for the sense wire but have to wonder how easy it could have been to simply keep that for little extra safety...

15. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    How do I order one of these cables?

16. Smokeymo

Smokeymo Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Desperately seeking the adaptor to connect my Ctek 5.0 to the boot socket of my California 30.

Help !

Thanks

SmokeyMo

17. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    The California's have two different styles of connector - the first is the older standard 4 pin connector -- looks like kinda like this:
    Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

View of plug: Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

View of plug connected to socket in trunk (of a 599GTB): Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

Newer vehicles (especially "T" cars) use the "magsafe" style connector - it looks like this:
    Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

Plug looks like this: Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

Cable (on test jig): Ferrari Charge cables - Warren Kumari

Which of the connectors does your vehicle have / what year California? It is very likely to be the first one, but worth checking.

The beginning of the thread has info on making these cables, complete with part numbers, otherwise I do still make (and sell) them myself.

18. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    And I've just updated my set of instructions / added a bunch more pictures. I'm (of course!) still happy for people to make their own, but to do it "right" requires getting a fairly expensive crimping tool ($275 for the head and $118 for the handles), which is obviously a waste if you are only making one or two.
    Anyway, instructions / pictures here: https://www.kumari.net/index.php/projects/random-projects/93-making-a-ctek-to-ferrari-battery-tender-adaptor-cable
    and I'm always happy to answer questions, etc.

19. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Warren (or anyone else):

Is there a CTEK adapter made for the 612? Parts catalogue shows a CTEK charger as an option. Below is a photo of the charge port which does not work with the one that you have been making. I had ordered one marketed on ebay that said it was for the 612 but a completely different set up. Any suggestions on how to get something to work for this style of plug?

20. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Warren, are you still making the conversion kits? I'm switching to a Granite battery tender for my 2008 Scuderia and I'd like to use the standard plug. Let me know if you are and what the transaction process is. Thanks.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Better to just private message him. If you are reasonably handy, you can simply follow his instructions and make your own, that is what I did. You will need to be very specific what charger you are adapting to, as Warren is mainly focused on Ctek adapters, but making it for a Granite should be a cake walk. The Granite plug is almost universally used by all other battery tender companies.

22. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren

This is the "older" (Amphenol PT Series) style of tender connector -- Ferrari changed from this style to the newer (Souriau) style connector around ~2007 on the F430. I'm not sure what year they changed on the 612.
    I do not (currently) make an adaptor for this connector, but if you (or anyone in the Northen Virginia, USA) is willing, I'm happy to figure out what the pinout is and A: make CTEK to this plug converter or B: make an adaptor to replace this connector with a "new style" connector.

I believe (but will need to double check) that the correct connector for that is Amphenol PT06A-12-3P. These are really nice connectors - much nicer (in my opinion) than the newer style ones, but larger, heavier, and a bit clunkier to attach.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the information. On the 360 page someone shared the information for an existing CTEK connector that he said worked with his Aston that had the round 3 pin type of plug. Its designed for a mobility scooter. It doesn't twist and lock on like the original but looks to simply plug into the 3 pins. I'm looking to see if that plug is available and if it fits the early 612's. I am hearing that Ferrari made the change sometime in 2007 to the CTEK style plug.

24. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Do you have a link to this post / more info?

25. ybl84f1

ybl84f1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steve Engelbrecht
    I know this is an old post but some information is just timeless....especially since I just purchased a 2007 F430 and am very interested in how to attach a battery charger _and_ I'm a big CTEK fan using it with my other vehicles.

I was thinking of making my own connector but could not find the strain relief in stock and then I don't have the correct crimpers So I was looking for an easy/cheaper solution.

If folks are still landing on this thread because they're in a similar situation, I did find this fellow ("chedzem") on eBay in the UK that sells a "Ctek Ferrari Battery Charger / Conditioner Adapter Cable - 4 pin Type" for $62USD. This is just the CTEK adapter/plug - not the charger. He has them for all different makes and models. I've ordered one - will check it out with the multimeter against the info here in this thread before I dare plug it into my baby.

f355spider and Qavion like this.