XWX Michelins or other? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XWX Michelins or other?

Discussion in '206/246' started by JIM DINO, Mar 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    i have both the xwx and a set of modern ones (ill ck who made them)
    the modern are much better drive and i just keep them on they fit the same
    original mags ,, i have the xwx on a self in case someone asks ,, i dont show the car
    show it isnt that critical to me ,, the rest of the care is pure

2. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I don't recall receiving my cut from your savings....;-)

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    At the time I purchased my XWX's, I didn't think of the possibility that one currency vs the other might result in a bottom line price diff (in conversion to USD). I would've saved more had I checked since the EUR-USD conversion was a better deal than my default of GBP-USD at that time.

4. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

And then you would have owed me a cut of your savings......wait, except I didn't even know about Longstone until after you wrote about your tire buy......... oops, nevermind.
    How about a big THANK YOU to you!

5. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    The tire gets better as it warms up.
    Most "drivers" know this. I should think

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    hmm...... XWX even new is still a hard ride, Pirelli is now making vintage tires and may have a solution.

7. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Pirelli are making a small range of Cinturato tires but these are more for earlier Ferrari. At present there isn't a plan to make a 205/70VR14 Cinturato. I believe that Dino's fitted the Michelin XWX as original equipment.

The 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX are available at £ 248-50 (+ VAT) here Ferrari Dino with free shipping. This offer will not be there for ever.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Here's a couple of questions for Michelin, Longstone & Coker that I have asked in the past but have not been able to get either Michelin or Coker to answer:

1. Who actually owns and controls the 205/70 VR 14 XWX molds? At various times Coker appears to imply that Coker bought or controls them.

2. The design is over 30 years old. Are they made EXACTLY as they were 30+ years ago? If not, what EXACTLY has changed either in the materials, construction, or fabrication process?

3. They were V rated 30+ years ago and the new sidewalls still show a V speed rating. When was the last time they were tested and rated?

4. If they are now made of new materials or constructed or fabricated in newer ways, don't they need to have been tested and rated again?

5. Is it legal in the UK, Germany, or the US to sell a tire like an XWX as a new tire with a V rating on a 30 year old design if the tire has not been tested or rated in 30 years if the tire is made with new materials, new fabrication methods, or new manufacturing processes?

The answers should be pretty straightforward, but neither Coker or Michelin has dared to answer my questions when I have asked in the past.

What say you, Longstone?

9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Here's a couple of questions for Michelin, Longstone & Coker that I have asked in the past but have not been able to get either Michelin or Coker to answer:

1. Who actually owns and controls the 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX molds? At various times Coker appears to imply that Coker bought or controls them.

Michelin definitely still own the moulds

2. The design is over 30 years old. Are they made EXACTLY as they were 30+ years ago? If not, what EXACTLY has changed either in the materials, construction, or fabrication process?

It would be illegal to manufacture the tyres exactly the same as they were back in the 70’s. Many of the original materials and chemicals are no longer allowed to be used in the manufacturing of the tyres. However this is not a bad thing in that the new processes are greener. Michelin are capable of making a tyre that will perform the same as it originally did but be greener while doing so.
    What is important is that though Michelin have been forced to change the materials used in the production of these tyres they are able to maintain the similar handling characteristic. Importantly the foot print has not been dramatically increased in relation to the width of the tyre. The handling of many classic cars are spoiled by over tyreing the car. if you don’t like the progressive handling of a classic car then buy something front wheel drive. (oops sorry, that was a little antagonistic. However that is why people shop at Longstone Tyres, we offer a higher quality of insult).
    This bit of writing is about why you should buy Michelin. (you might consider it sales pitch but it’s all true)
    • With Michelin XWX when you turn the steering wheel the car steers immediately; not a bit later like wobbly side walled cheap tyres. That is due to a well built carcase.
    • When you drive down an uneven road the XWX stays relatively in a straight line. where a modern tyre with a comparatively wider foot print will have extra leverage on the steering and make the car track.
    • When you hoof it in a corner the back end will behave in a progressive manor. It will not let go violently like wider more modern tyres tend to do. more foot print may give greater road holding but that comes at the expense of handling. Modern wider tyres suit modern cars.
    • If you take your car on the track and ring its neck; the Michelin XWX will not fall apart.
    • Michelin XWX looks cool.

3. They were V rated 30+ years ago and the new sidewalls still show a V speed rating. When was the last time they were tested and rated?

Hmm! When were they last tested?
    All Michelins tyres are constantly X-rayed to maintain the thorough quality control. You can imagine I have sold 1,000’s of Michelin XWX tyres. I don’t think I have ever had an XWX come back under complaint.
    They all have a current e-marking and DOT. This means they have passed current speed testes (though I couldn’t tell you when.) They must pass the same tests as modern tyres except the noise level test
    Actually the majority of the XWX tyres are W rated. Michelin continue to write 205/70VR14 on the side wall because that is how they were done in the day, so they still look right.
    It also says 89W somewhere on there, which means they can do 170mph continuously for an hour while carrying 580kg. The V speed rating is sort of out dated, the V speed rating means >149mph

4. If they are now made of new materials or constructed or fabricated in newer ways, don't they need to have been tested and rated again?

They have, See above.

5. Is it legal in the UK, Germany, or the US to sell a tire like an XWX as a new tire with a V rating on a 30 year old design if the tire has not been tested or rated in 30 years if the tire is made with new materials, new fabrication methods, or new manufacturing processes?

You would not be able to sell these tyres in Europe had they not passed current legislation. They are particularly keen on this in Germany as they have Autobahns with no speed limits. Last time I went to Germany I was driven at over 130mph in a taxi.
    Lend me your car. I would happily drive it at 150mph or spend extended time on a race track
    I truly believe Michelins build quality is second to none. I have been to one of their factories. You could eat your dinner off the machinery.

The answers should be pretty straightforward, but neither Coker or Michelin has dared to answer my questions when I have asked in the past.

What say you, Longstone?

I think I’ve done alright. I think I’ve covered most of the issues. I have not gone too deeply into the technical differences of the actual material that is being used because I am not clever enough. If you need anything more specific let me know, I shall try to get the detail out of Michelin, but they might not want their trade secrets to be known.

Trust Michelin. They have been making tyres for over 100 years. Michelin are the bench mark tyre. Their attention to detail is second to none. Put a new Michelin near other tyres you can see the quality. They would not jeopardise their reputation by letting any crap tyres out of their factories.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Which Pirellis did you find?