Xpel ultimate and seams on F12 | FerrariChat

Xpel ultimate and seams on F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nice, Apr 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Hello, Just had xpel ultimate installed on my f12. I'm not too happy with visible seams at pretty much all edges. I expect with time these will become dirty and more visible. My expectations were to have edges rolled so that seams would be mainly out of sight. The installers are certified xpel guys whom I found on the xpel web site. They claim that the xpel templates are designed that way and that all xpel kits are this way. Can anyone share their experience?

Worth mentioning- a wheel respected shop whom is installing my wheels advised that the work was sub-par. I tend to believe the shop however they too sell the product hence they may be bias. Please lend your thoughts and advise. Thanks

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Xpel makes pre cut kits I believe. The best installers custom cut and roll most edges where practical.

3. Cincy2

Cincy2 Karting

Feb 11, 2015
    Tampa FL
    I have an Xpel installation done on my F12 last year and all the edges are rolled except for the very end of the hood (close to windshield). This was a problem with the size of the largest sheet available.

EG

4. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    #4 XPEL, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Do you have any pictures to share? Our Pre-Cut kits allow for wrapped edges where possible...typically this includes wrapped edges on the hood, except in the corners and the the back of the hood (because of the size). The fenders will wrap inside the wheel well, and so on. If its possible to be wrapped, our kits allow for it. Pictures would be great

I pulled up the pre-cut kit, please excuse the crude photoshop. We haven't had an F12 in the shop in awhile, but the next time one comes in, i'll try to get close up's of where the seams are located in a real picture. There would be a few more, but here is an example. The green areas are at the minimum where the seams would be visible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Here are a few pics I took quickly tonight in the garage. I can provide better/more pics this weekend.

In the sun, the lines are much more visible. I felt comfortable with the installer given they are certified/on the xpel site. Looking at the hood, no edge is rolled. Not the sides or the front.

Also the wide gaps and cuts near the air bridge and trunk area must be poorly done. Xpel is a premium product as is this car. The color (bianco italia) is a ~$25k option hence I wanted to protected it.

I wasn't able to capture but there are also black finger prints at one of the corners of the hood. The vendor promised to replace this but needed to order more material. I am concerned to have this vendor continue to work on the car and worried that other vendors will not touch the job given it was not their install. Originally the job was supposed to take 2 days however its been ~2 weeks.

One of the reasons I decided to go with Xpel is the excellent warranty. I move often and liked how I could visit vendors nationwide with any warranty matters. However, I am concerned to give this vendor the final payment as I will loose all leverage on rectifying these matters.

My goal/desire is simple - A clean/pro install of xpel ultimate on this beautiful car. Can you please help?

Thank you

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Sub par had the full front of mine done and nothing like this. Really terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    I am pretty shocked with horror results, especially if we talk about certified installers.

Since you have horribly installed clear bra, be careful with removing process. That job is more delicate than installation, because you can damage your (expensive) color pretty easily.

Take a look:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYH5emgD3ec

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :eek:
    Looks terrible!
    Mine has no visible edges whatsoever; all edges are rolled to behind the panels.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    So bad news- you got a mediocre/ poor install.

Good news- its not the end of the world.

My advice is to find a better installer and just bring the car to them and have them remove it and do an installation. Once you have your car sorted out you can present your case for refund to the first installer. Who knows, maybe they give you something back or not. Life is too short to waste your time and I would just move on but thats just me..

10. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    Did you ask for wrapped edges? Also who was your installer, I'd like to reach out to my sales rep so he can follow up with you and the installer.

Id give them the chance to fix/rectify the issues you have with the installation.

Yes, some of the edges could be closer to the panel edges, but not all the edges are wrap-able. For example, the headlight picture. That is exactly how we install, right up to the edge of the fender near headlight and wrap on the inside of the fender towards the hood, thats why there is a notch cut out. From this picture, the hood looks like the film is wrapped over the edge.

This looks as if its part of the pre-cut template

This could have been a bit closer, but we do not wrap the edges due to the space/room to work involved on the inside of the door panel.

They should be able to address this issue when you see them, as the film is lifting a bit. But the pre-cut kits do have the corners cut out because you can't manipulate Clear Bra like vinyl. It doesnt stretch over corners, the relief cuts are necessary

Again, please send us a PM with your contact details and your installers information. Give them a chance to fix the issues you see on your wrap. If they are reluctant to help, let us know and we'll go from there.

11. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Mine is perfect. But at the top of the hood (near windshield) we had to make a cut and paste because I was told Expel did not have any film wider than 60".
    I have xpel on Aventador, M6, 458 , Ford GT and others. Love the healing process.

Having watched my guy I would NEVER try it myself.

12. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    We appreciate your business! Yes the newer car hoods are getting wider and longer than any film manufacturers biggest roll. So we're forced to create "relief cuts" in order to wrap the entire hood. For example on the new Clamshell hoods on Porsche SUV, F-Type, F12, etc

13. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    @op NICE,

One of my local sales rep's should be in contact with you in the next day or two

14. 33pds

33pds Karting

Jul 9, 2010
    Great to see the XPEL team address this. Looks like you will get it sorted. I have full XPEL on my F12 and is a world better than your shots.

15. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    +1. This is awesome customer service.

16. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    @xpel - Thanks. The rep did call me today. Trying to figure out how to rectify given we both have no confidence this particular installer is up to task. Obviously would like to limit removing/reinstalling. Person who called was knowledgable, kind and in agreement. Will advise with news.

17. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    Sounds great, sorry for what has happened. No doubt, Dewey will take care of you!

18. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    All, Quick update: Xpel/Dewey have been extremely helpful. Car was dropped off today at another installers shop and I have full confidence in their abilities. Also, the original installer agreed to refund the deposit. I cannot speak highly enough of how helpful xpel/Dewey have been in helping resolve this matter.

19. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Awesome news! Lets hope new installer will make things right.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Excellent...I suspect Xpel just cemented a bunch of clients going forward with their support.

21. XPEL

XPEL Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2013
    Worldwide
    Sounds great, glad Dewey was able to take care of you! Let us know how the installation goes!

22. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Great service XPEL. Cheers !

23. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    Thought I would post some pics to how much of an improvement the 2nd install is over the first.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So much better. That has to be a relief.

25. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    This turned out to be a very informative post by Nice, and the last comparison pictures really helped to demonstrate the difference between a good and poor installation. Just yesterday at my local F car dealership I compared my xpel install to that of another F car that was in the service bay. The film was a different brand to xpel, however the quality of the installation was vastly inferior on the other F car. Again goes to show how important it is to choose the right installer by asking to see their previous work on similar cars.