XBox or PS3?? A Newbie needs to know! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XBox or PS3?? A Newbie needs to know!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by E60 M5, Dec 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which do I buy??

1. XBox

2. PS3

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Essentially. The XBOX really only has 2 wheels, the XBOX one is completely useless and Fanatec makes one but it's $500 and has a Porsche logo. The wheel will shake a good bit at 200mph, though that is what I expect a car to feel like at 200.

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The wife got me the PS3!!!! However, its a 160gig, do I return for the 320gig??

Steering wheel time as well!!

3. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I got the 160GB, should have plenty of room. I'd go for the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, officially supported wheel for GT5 and a fantastic wheel for the price.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Chris, thanks for the 411!!!! I will keep it and go out and get the Logitech steering wheel, thanks for the recommendations!!!

How much school do you have left??? Seasons Best!!!

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Yes, the Driving Force GT, and the Driving Force Pro are both excellent wheels! When playing GT5, don't forget to turn off most or all of the driving aids ;)

6. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    XBox 360 is what we've had since 2006. The unit failed after 3 weeks of use and again at the 2 year mark- typical red cricle of death events. M$ paid return postage both times unit was sent in and turn around time was 7-10 days. Service issues haven't kanked my enthusiasm for the console.

The XBox LIVE account has become very important to my son this Christmas who competes with classmates and has excelled at custom paint schemes of the Forza 3 cars. Received a custom Dino 246 GT LM from him for Christmas. He has recently taken interest in how Forza 3 can demonstrate proformance advatages of different setups of the same car. Now instead of him dusting me off the track we're playing around with rival marques from the 60s and 70s without ABS, traction or stability control. Very fun to now play with disabled features in the simulation mode to help him foster an underatnding of mechincal limits 2+ years beofre he gets his drivers license.

7. Reece

Reece Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2010
    MMMMMMinneapolis
    Full Name:
    Reece Mikkelson
    PS3 with GT5

8. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    2.5 years of college, shoot me a PM when you get your PS3 online, my PSN is tifosi1991.

9. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Same question different game though. My 11 y/o daughter got a go cart for Christmas but it is too small for her. We planned on getting another bigger one but now she has decided she wants the Call of Duty - Black Ops. Yes we will turn off vocals as I know they cuss. So which system is better here? PS3 or XBox? She has played on both but I would love some feedback from gamers that have really logged some time. Thanks.

10. BigP1202

BigP1202 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2007
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #35 BigP1202, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Xbox's online gaming is untouchable IMO. Forza is just plain amazing. The driving dynamics and engine sounds are awesome. Don't forget GT5 does look better being on a more powerful system and Forza 3 came out in Oct. 2009.

But GT5 has only 200 fully remodeled cars out of the claimed 1000. The rest are just plug-and-play from GT4.

LOL at this example photo from GT5...

EDIT: Also, if you install the games to the Xbox 360 HD then run near silent and load way faster.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    "Call of Duty - Black Ops., ..... So which system is better here? PS3 or XBox?"

Just asked my 13 year old in-house expert the question and he quickly replied that the XBox 360 rendering of Black Ops is better than the PS3. He rattled off his response as I was finishing the question.

12. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Trust me , GT5's driving physics make Forza look worse than an arcade game. As to the 200/1000 cars, I just play with 200 and those 200 are lifelike, more detail than I have ever seen before.

13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    OK, more good news!!! My 7 year old daughter wants an XBox because of the "Kinetics"? Her birthday is in February, so we are going to buy her one then, yipppiiieee!!
    I also bought a Pioneer SC27 receiver to hook up with the system.

About the PS3, games are harder than I thought they would be!!! The F1 2010, is disapointing in that I can't just play a quick game, you have to do this whole season thing. SUCK!!!!!!!!

Chris, when I get better we will have to play online, right now I suck!! Thank God I could drive the real Fcar better!!!!!!!!

14. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    add me to your psn (nthfiniy) and I'll gift you a Ferrari right out of the gate ;)

15. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is pretty challenging sometimes, give it a week or two and it'll be much better. There is a pretty big curve with the wheel as well. As far as F1, go to the menu option "grand prix, and you should be able to jump right into a race.

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Chris,

You got any idea how to get back to single race??? Every time I turn the game on it takes me to my "season", I end up in this area were I can only choose between career, teams and some other crap, very frustrated!!!!

Any help please!!

17. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you are in the trailer go right until you get to the door and it says "Outside", then go to the menu selection for "Grand Prix" and you can choose which car you want to drive and then pick all of your options for the race. If you need some more help shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1. Agree on all points, except I also have God of War Collection and the first Formula 1 game that launched with the PS3.

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    way off topic, but I LOVE the visuals of God of War... but just can't stand the gameplay LOL. I heard it was one of the 'prettier' PS3 games made, so of course I bought it. It's not that the gameplay is bad, but I just don't like games much of tapping x non-stop to win... same thing for starwars:The Force Unleashed... beautiful games, just so damned repetitive on my old thumbs.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    AWESOME!!!! Finally figured it out with your help!!! I had gone there before, but for some reason thought it was just a info panel on different teams. Anyway, going easy with 3 lap races and made it through a bunch yesterday. Finishing in 8th place most of the time, yes, I have it on "easy" cause I am a punk right now! :)
    They are all out of the Logitech G Force steering wheel at Best Buy for $99, but I got a raincheck. Hope the wheel will help, because the toggle switch sucks in my opinion, but I am getting better with it.

Thanks again Chris for the 411!!

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    And some us, more than once... That said, I own both systems.

ONLY to use FM3 and GT5...

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    This will pay back in spades. Very useful and engaging tool for teaching basic vehicle dynamics without penalty. Just ask Bob Earl, he's been using Gran Turismo for a long time to help people go quicker. So have I!

23. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad to help, you need to come down to one of the FCA track days at VIR this year, they are a ton of fun.

24. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    What system did the OP end up with?

I have an XBOX360, a Wii and a PS3. For gaming, the XBOX is the best, hands down.

The biggest reason is the controller is just better. The second reason is the online stuff with XBOX is a lot better. I know PS3 has some online stuff, but it's nowhere near what XBOX Live is.

For horsepower and visuals, the XBOX and PS3 are so close that it's really a toss-up, anyone who would quibble over the differences is probably biased on their system of choice and just trying to justify it.

As for problems, I have had one XBOX die and one Wii die. As an electronics guy, I am very familiar with the XBOX issues. The graphics chip Microsoft used runs too hot and desolders itself from the board. There are many ways they claim to be able to fix it, but none of them are truly permant fixes, NONE, not even reflowing the chip with professional tools. The only way to do it truly right is to remove the chip, remove all the solder, reball it and resolder, THEN solve the heat issue. Nobody does this.

I did, however pick up the new XBOX Slim which uses a different kind of chip - so the red ring issue has been truly solved with the XBOX slim. If someone is considering a new console, I don't think reliability is a concern at all.

It's somewhat difficult to put it all into words, but at the end of the day, when games come out and are available on both systems, I always buy them on XBOX, because it's just a more fun system to play.

I notice the two other people in this thread who also have both an XBOX and PS3 also prefer the XBOX.

25. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think he's getting both.

I agree on all points, except there is one thing the PS3 has that puts it miles and miles ahead of the XBOX, and that is steering wheels. The xbox one shouldn't even be able to be called a steering wheel it is horrid. Yes they allow a couple of the Fanatec wheels, but after all is said and done you'd spend $500. I got a fantastic Logitech wheel for $130, the same price as the XBOX one that is 100x better. I just wish Microsoft would allow the Logitech wheels.