XBox or PS3?? A Newbie needs to know! | FerrariChat

XBox or PS3?? A Newbie needs to know!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by E60 M5, Dec 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which do I buy??

1. XBox

2. PS3

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 E60 M5, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Ok, one of the guys brought his XBox into work the other day and we played Forza3 for most of the day, when not running calls. It was a nice break!

I have always thought I would get a PS3, but this seemed to be a really cool game. I have a F1 game already for the PS3, so I am torn and don't know which is better.

I understand PS3 is Blu-Ray, already have a player so thats not important. XBox seemed slow to load, is this true for both??

Any input would be appreciated. I have a "Man Cave" with a 73" DLP TV and Denon/Infinity/Velodine surround system, very nice!!

Thanks gang!

PS: we have a Wii for my 7year old daughter already.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    X box is to me the lesser system. No techie stuff to my opinion, but I have had repeated problems with X box - game freezes, will not load etc... whereas my PS3 - has been perfect for hours on end. I just bought another PS3 as my original has a problem with one of the Lasers - but its over 6 years old! My X box has been replaced after 9 Months... I'm on my second from Game stop.

GT5 and Forza are both very good games, I think GT5 is more realistic, and the simulation is smoother - and more realistic. but Forza has a lot more cars - Ferrari's that are much more accessable. GT5 has the Ferrari F-1 cars... I think GT5 is the best overall. It comes the closest to simulation other than a full on computer sim system that will cost $thousands ....

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Since you didnt buy Forza 3 before GT5 came out, i would suggest buying a PS3+GT5.

I bought a PS3 almost 3 years ago for GT5 and got tired of waiting so ended up buying an Xbox+Forza 3. I enjoyed Forza for 2 months but havent played it for 3 months+ now. I am enjoying GT5 at the moment but i feel it will also be short lived compared to previous GT. Maybe im getting old.

But plan on buying both consoles as Forza 4 is coming in November 2011...

4. Eric W

Eric W Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, I've always been partial to the Sony Playstation and the Gran Turismo series so naturally I voted for the PS3. I've only played Forza once or twice and never really got used to using the Xbox controller.

Either systems really aren't that expensive anymore, I'm sure many people own both.

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love my xbox for certain games, especially the online aspect. But playing GT5 with a steering wheel and racing seat is just amazing. I haven't even turned my xbox on in a month at least. I know you like track days so if you get a steering wheel set-up with GT5 you'll feel right at home running laps.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #7 SPEEDCORE, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    Hands down xbox 360 is the better system.

WJHMH: I haven't and it's getting close to 2years now. (/runs around touching wood) was more a common issue with the earlier models but since 09 onwards they don't break as much. Plus PS3 break as well. Wasn't there a thread recently of someone needing to pay $150 to get the ps3 fixed? I'd rather it break during warranty then out of warranty...

PS3 only has 1 or 2 games worth playing on it. It really depends what type of gamer you are. If you happy to keep playing the same game for years then get a ps3 but if you want to play with friends and play lots of cool games get the Xbox 360 :D

Ohh yeah the steering wheel situation on the xbox does sux :( Not having G25/27 support is just a silly business decision by M$.

8. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    PS3. It's much more than just a gaming system. The only thing that Xbox has over the PS3 is Live, which thanks to updates now sucks. The voice chat quality went from bad to horrific in the last update, which in my opinion was the only huge advantage that the 360 had over PS3 when it comes to the online aspect.

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I vowed to never buy another sony product after two PS2 consoles died on me so i switched to the xbox when it first came out. That first Xbox died just as the 360 came out so i bought a 360 that died 2 years after i got it. My newest 360 has lasted two years with no problems. Both consoles are fragile IMO.

Xbox is fun and has lots of games and way outsells the ps3. You have a wider choice of games with the 360 and xbox online is very successful. I spent two weeks looking for the basic xbox 4gb system for my nephews and found they were sold out everywhere..ended up buying the one with the new kinect setup. Plenty of PS3 units in stock everywhere by contrast.

The best thing about PS3 is the controller. The xbox controller is fine but the PS just has a feel and ease of use nobody has matched yet.

10. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    PS3 plus GT5 trust me you will not regret it :)

11. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #11 nthfinity, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    I have both...

The PS3 is great for a media center integrated with your TV; ability to print from it, load pictures, music, browse the internet, netflix, free online play, and a few other neat unique abilities compared to the xbox 360. However, I only own two three games since I bought mine in 2007. GT5 prologue, God of War III, and GT5.

My xbox 360 is my gaming system. The controller is far better, quality of a large array of games is better, as well as more widely available, and the online play is better on the 360. The lack of a proper force-feedback api in the xbox is extremely disappointing for racing games.

What kind of games do you like to play? (many games are available on both; but I give the better version the one with a better controller)

today, both have integrated wifi, and larger hard drives. xbox has quicker load times; but is a little louder (with the new ones, its similar noise)

12. SHIPARCH

SHIPARCH Rookie

Mar 7, 2010
    Miami | Florida
    I don't play much video games except for GT5 now but have both systems. I got the PS3 waiting for GT5 since I am a longtime fan of the franchise and have always preferred the Play Station to the other consoles. I have 5 games for PS3 and 1 for the Xbox which is Forza 3. The PS3 has Blu-ray which is a big plus, overall it's an entertainment system and oline gaming is free wi-fi, the Xbox you have to pay a membership which I think was $60 a year but mine expired and haven't got a new one since it basically does the same as PSN. GT5 is a game which in my opinion is world ahead of Forza which I though was going to be a sim but feels and looks like a kids game, oh, their flat Nurburgring.

13. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    do you have small hands?

14. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've got both systems and prefer the Xbox over the PS3.

Xbox has a lot more games available and Live is infinitely better than PSN. It also gives you a lot more flexibility with streaming music during games.

The only thing the PS3 is good for is blu ray and GT5. The user interface is horrid and online experience is even worse.

I much prefer the controller of the 360 too, it fits better in your hands and I've never had sore hands after playing.

15. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Not to be anal, but it came out 4 years and 1 month ago.

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Chris,
    You know me far to well!!! LOL!! :)

I really want this system for the racing games, so yes a steering wheel intergration will have to be considered. Which steering console to buy?? Don't really want to spend over $200 for the steering console, can you get a good one at that price point??

I think the wife is going to get me the PS3 for Christmas. This is very good input, THANKS everyone, keep it coming!

17. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    you can pick up a Logitech G25 off ebay... many people are dumping them for about 100ish to buy the new G27 wheel... but you'll also want a seat setup otherwise your legs will get sore quickly while lapping

18. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not anymore they're not. G25s are going for around $250ish and G27s for $400ish, all because of GT5.

19. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #19 4REphotographer, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My eyes were opened after I got my steering wheel and GT5, really is incredible. I couldn't find a G25/G27 for a decent price so I picked up a Driving Force GT for $130. It's pretty good, especially to start with. Tiny paddle shifters on the back and no clutch or 6-speed are the main downfalls compared to the G2Xs as well as being not as powerful. As soon as I can find a G27 for $200 I'll be getting that. I also picked up a Playseats EVO about a month ago, got it for $309 shipped from ESPN during their black friday sale. This stuff should get cheaper once the GT5 rush wears off. Here is a pic of my current set-up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    #20 yoda, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
    I prefer Xbox, they seem to have a wider variety of games and Forza 4 is coming out soon which will be even better than Forza 3 and GT5.

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    How could Forza be better if Microsoft don't allow 3rd party developers to make a proper FFB steering wheel? While Forza is fun, it's just an arcade game compared to GT5.

That said, GT5 is a 10/10 sim wrapped in a 5/10 game.
    Forza 3 is a 2/10 sim wrapped in a 9/10 game

Take out of that what you will :)

22. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    ALL SIMS ARE GAMES!

I hate it when people try to say otherwise! If you playing a $1million sim or a console you are still playing a game. It's not real life its a simulation! :p

GT5 and FM3 are both sims. Just because you think GT5 is a better game doesn't make FM3 a less SIM title :rolleyes: Gt5 had 12mths more development time ofcourse it's going to be a tad better. It's how video game development works. FM4 will probably be better then GT5 when it comes out.

Anyway this thread is about which console to buy and for gaming the XBOX is the better gaming system. If you really want the best sim system buy a PC :eek:

23. RAFAMP

RAFAMP Karting

May 26, 2010
    Brasília, Brazil
    XBOX has more games, and XBOX Live is just AWESOME! Endless hours of play

Also, the Xbox 360 controller is much superior to the PS3's old dualshock...

24. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Are you thick? reread what I wrote; it's pretty simple. Not all sim's are created equal. In the term 'game' I think of arcades; not the fact it comes on a disc, and is a virtual environment. They sync with each-other's strong points very little... perhaps the photo options LOL.

I stand 100% by my description. Forza 4 cannot be 'better than GT5' because Xbox 360 will never support 3rd party peripherals with licensed FFB api's. It can however, and likely will be better than FM3. My money is it will be more like FM3.5 like FM2 was more like FM1.5. I enjoyed 1, and 3.

If you happen to have a wheel for your xbox, go try Sebring, and tell me how bumpy the concrete feels going in and out of the last turn before the start -finish straight.

Now, if you have a wheel for the ps3, run over the concrete transitions from the infield to the banked surface of Daytona.

Turn 10 have a better GUI, however, they have no true FFB 3rd party developers allowed (xbox's proprietary ffb is a joke with a wheel), and have no clue how to simulate race track surfaces.

25. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So, PS3 has the best steering wheel controllers?? This is the overall vibe I am getting.

I just know that playing my buddies Xbox it seemed the controller was super sensitive. We were playing the LeMans full race circuit and at the 200+mph speeds it was very hard to keep the cars straight. Never wrecked, just hated the way it seemed to jump from side to side.

Merry Christmas guys!!