XBOX One vs. PS4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

XBOX One vs. PS4

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Nov 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    If you are into serious SIM racing, check out all that there is to offer at NoGripRacing :: Home

Games like GTR, GTR2, GTL, iRacing, and so much more. PC offers the best in simulations, Gran Turismo offers the best on a console, sometimes rivaling what is on at the PC sim level.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The same guys made iRacing, which is the current standard bearer in sim racing. I first started sim racing on Grand Prix Legends and still have it installed and run it every once in a while. It still holds up pretty well. Gran Turismo is good as well but I don't know if they've fixed the controller issues in 6 for it to finally be useable.

3. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I just checked a little on that and found this video ( few years old) where DEjr is talking about iracing and actually mentions the papyrus NR2003 that was based on GPL. kinda interesting. I also watched another iracing vid from this year where the guy is doing skip babrber and it seemed a little sped up, like it was losing the reality factor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbQ8N9ITaY]Dale Jr talks about his simracing with iRacing.com (Extended) - YouTube[/ame]

4. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Well I have ordered GPL, which seems the most life-like so far in my very early beginning on these newer sims, And I noticed this NEW upcoming sim that seems like it might be the holy grail of sims, fantastic appearance, awesome sound, and life like physics due next year;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NSjfaSw4_M]Trailer: Project C.A.R.S. (DX11) (1080p) HD! - YouTube[/ame]

5. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    #32 Vinny Bourne, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    I think you are right so far as I have seen, the PC platform has the best. I have seen GT6 on PS4 and was not impressed. Hopefully no one minds me posting the results of my search for the best driving sim on this thread as it does factor into which platform to buy for certain capabilities.

Checked out RFactor2 and despite this cool trailer, the gameplay graphics seem primitive;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bq51EDmWc]rFactor 2 - Grand Prix - YouTube[/ame]

Assetto Corsa is another that seems to have better game play graphics than rFactor but not up to Project CARS

6. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    This project cars example just shows to me how far advanced they are, not perfect yet, but it seems the best mix of graphics and physics. They also seem to have the most different styles of racing/cars/tracks and the game is still improving before next years release. (something goofy going on in the focus dept, but when sharp it's sharp)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXxCpPiQog]Project CARS - Formula 1 Race - Monza 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

7. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    RFactor has long been known as better sim characteristics, and less graphic tie in; but people make and port over great cars and tracks to the sim.

Keep in mind that GT6 is for PS3, not PS4.

8. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Correct, in the video I watched it is something called Driveclub for PS4, but they showed GT6 on PS3. PS1 Vs. PS2 Vs. PS3 Vs. PS4 Gameplay Graphics Comparison Racing [1080p HD] - YouTube

In this still improving Project CARS F1 at Spa, the realism is just amazing especially the hill just after Eau Rouge. This should be amazing next year and by version 2 will be like reality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbAjuiB2bY]Project CARS - Formula 1 Race - Spa 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    That's awesome. Would love to play that game in a mock up of an F1 car's cabin... wearing the screens in a virtual reality helmet... with hydraulics to toss you around in real-time.

10. mdoan300

mdoan300 Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Xbone plays Blu Ray.

And let that remain a rumor. You can turn it off or simply unplug it.

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Project CARS is coming to PS4
    Project CARS Now Headed to Xbox One, PS4, and Valve?s Steam OS - IGN

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You don't need a sim cabinet if you use an Oculus Rift, it looks like you're sitting in the car. I've been on the Beta for pCars and Rfactor2, but haven't played with either in a while as they just weren't quite ready, but both were good. Same for Assetto Corse as they had a demo with a Lotus and it wasn't quite right. Currently, iRacing is where it's at, both in terms of graphical fidelity and physics. I did a lot of prep for real racing at VIR in iRacing and it was very close to reality. On Patriot I was running 52.5s laps in the spec Miata in iRacing and in real life I was running 54.8s in a Porsche 944. There was some more time left in the 944 but it was an endurance race so I wasn't pushing it as hard as I could.

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I finally got an XBox One last night and Forza 5. I got the non-Kinect version for $399.. (I have no interest in motion tracking and/or voice controls)

I will admit I'm somewhat disappointed. Graphics are marginally better. New controller feels cheaper somehow?

Also, I played around with the TV feature a bit with my At&t U-Verse passing through. I don't like it. I will unplug that and just revert it back into my TV directly. It's easier for me to just change the input on my TV than to have to deal with the XBox. I think I'll plug back my regular Blu-Ray player also. I prefer to just keep the game console for games. And I prefer my Apple TV for music/movies also.

Forza 5 is nice. I really like the Jeremy Clarkson for voiceovers. But they sure do have the micro-transactions dialed up high... You could spend $200+ in-game pretty easily.

14. Simmonz

Simmonz Rookie

Aug 12, 2014
    Its the voice controls that make the TV function really or any of the entertainment functions. So if you went San's Kinect I could see how that wouldn't be of value to you. The ability to switch to any app by saying its name or change to any channel without needed to know the channel number is pretty cool. Xbox On command turns on my TV the Xbone the receiver and my sound bar (and off with Xbox turn off). Also I can walk out of the room and pause TV on my way out without having to find a remote (which can be a challenge in my house). I don't think my wife has touched a remote in months and she watches TV every day.

Just like the jump from xbox to xbox360 (or ps2 to ps3) the first batch of games are not going to be as visually impressive as you would expect. Programmers are still trying to learn the capabilities of the new systems plus they are launching the games on the old platforms as well which means they have to sacrifice some things.

Few years and these things will be pretty amazing I think, but thats my 2c.

~Jake

15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    This about sums it up for me. I'll stick with my PS3.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TeKjcq1YQ8]The Big Bang Theory:XBOX One vs PS4 - YouTube[/ame]

16. ghosthunter

ghosthunter Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    The battle between Two large companies making home media equipment has been going on for decades, weather it is Video Recorders, Digital Cameras, TV's or Games consoles. There will never be a collaboration between these firms and so competition exists between them to capture customer sales with an ever increasing number of tech features in both camps.

The choice between XBox and Playstation is yours and only you should make that choice, possibly with some guidance from those who have used both systems for a long while, so have good long-term experience of them.

Both companies try and cater for several aspects of the home media market, sometimes they succeed, other times they fail (PS 2 + Hard drive combination), but they learn from their mistakes if their budget allows for this, mostly it does.

Brand loyalty plays a big part in what consoles you are likely to upgrade to. I am a SONY fan, I have an entire private collection of all home media products from SONY, including of course the 'PS 1', so naturally went through 'PS 2', 'PS One', 'PS 2 Slim' and 'PS 3'. I have not gone to 'PS 4' as yet, because it does not offer me anything extra over 'PS 3' for my needs and for the time being has inferior 'Blu Ray' playback.

I play a game once in a blue Moon, so video gaming does not bother or worry me as to which version or format is better.

I love the idea of switching on my 'PS 3' while down the Garden from my 'PSP' and watching something I recorded earlier in the Day!

No, the battle continues and will continue when 'XBox 2' and 'PS 5' appear on the scene.

So stop waisting time and enjoy your consoles for what they are, if you can not decide, get both, there are Second hand examples out there for less than new prices, problem solved.

Regards,
    GHOSTHUNTER.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've played on the PS4 a fair bit and really quite like it.

My problem is I don't play enough games to even consider buying it. I find it impossible to play FPS games on a console, I'm absolutely terrible at it and only somewhat good when a computer is involved.

Then I play racing games, and console has never really been a simulator so that's PC territory as well.

I bought a PS2 to play Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto. I then bought an Xbox for Forza and X360 for Forza 2 and the next gen GTA games.

I'm not buying either right now, as I don't play Gran Turismo or Forza and GTA is coming to PC. For GTA6 I'm going to buy a console though, presumably the PC version will come much later, and I'll buy a PS4. What a sweet console it is.

I might actually just buy one for no good reason at all, thinking about it. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on the 360 and didn't stack up well against the PS4 at all with XB0.

18. ghosthunter

ghosthunter Rookie

Mar 25, 2015
    We all now know that both consoles were rushed to market and so gremlins crept into both units or were not fully eradicated before release.

The approach taken by "Bas Jaski" is so familiar among gamers, my cousin has done virtually the same with cross-platform gaming using 'PS 2', X-Box 360' and now 'X-Box 1', but has not gone to 'PS 3' or 'PS4', he is not really a SONY person, so that hints at Brand loyalty on his part. He will use PC for specific games.

GHOSTHUNTER.

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I went PS4 and PC for most of the Microsoft games. I really only play iRacing now because its much smoother and realistic than consoles.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I check out the video game forums on AVS, and I'm still astounded at how often people play or have the time to play especially with kids.

I have zero kids and am single and haven't turned my PS4 on since January or early February. There's nothing wrong with playing of course, but I look at all my friends that have kids and can't see how some guys play as much as they do.

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think I'm done with XBOX. every one I've had has broken in a year or two. my XBOX one - that I bought brand new and its never really been handled or moved just will not work ... I moved it from our TV room ( used it for Net flix up there ) now do my office - and it just clicks clicks clicks... nothing the connect does not come on etc.. - its out of warranty, PITA to deal with Microsoft non customer service...

So thinking about a PS 4 - but seems like project cars is not so hot either... what is a 47 year old kid to do!

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Finally bit the bullet today & got a PS4 Star Wars Battlefront bundle pack edition. (not the limited edition)