x-pipe addition | Page 3 | FerrariChat

x-pipe addition

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by f12tm, Dec 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Its tight all I can say. To change cats the sub frame needs come off. To be honest a poor design by Ferrari.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wonder if this is the case for the FF as well. i had no idea

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You have to understand why manufacturers are careful about their claims.

The conservative wording they use is probably because Fabspeed cannot guarantee how and where their devices would be deployed. How much unburnt fuel they have to cope with depends a lot on how the engines of those particular cars/models are tuned. They have no control on the "beast" you put their devices on.

The other facts to keep in mind is that if you have an aftermarket ECU tune, you must ship the ECU to the tuner factory (e.g. Fabspeed. Novitec) for them to work on. And then if for some reason you need a Ferrari software maintenance update/upgrade from your Fcar dealer, you will then most likely have to also send the ECU back to (e.g. Fabspeed. Novitec) for them to work re-apply their tuning.

It's not only the extra costs involved, it's also the hassles and time. Unless you live close to the Fabspeed or Novitec factory, your car will have to sit in their dealer's garage for about a week each time.

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Most likely yes. Someone just needs to email dirk at NR and he's really good about responding quickly....

5. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014

I'm pretty sure they offer these 2 different products trough the range of f-cars (458, ff, etc.) for which they offer their decat pipes or sport cats. So you can opt for a Tectronic to only avoid CEL or a full ECU tune.

It's no exclusive option for F12.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #56 4th_gear, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    C'mon, it's not bad at all. The F12's a low-riding supercar, not a Toyota Camry and you do want the undercarriage to be protected.

Actually, the engine subframe appears to only require releasing 6 bolts to provide access to the cats and you might not even need to do that to access the post-cat O2 sensors. It looks very nicely designed to me. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #57 kenyon, Jan 5, 2017
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #58 4th_gear, Jan 6, 2017
    Thanks for posting the service instructions on the removal of the F12 cats. ;)

I can appreciate your sentiments about the complexity of the procedure which includes removal of the plastic undertray as well as the front removable engine subframe and having to support the engine with a jack stand. While I don't find the procedure a big deal for a car of the F12's extreme nature, I can also see how it might put some people off.

However, all this assumes you have to remove the F12's cats in order to access the post-cat O2 sensor locations. I want to emphasize it is the exhaust readings taken at the post-cat location which can trigger the CEL and the pre-cat O2 sensor is just used to provide a reference reading to compare against readings from the post-cat O2 sensor. So it's only the post-cat O2 sensor that could benefit from using the Fabspeed O2 spacer.

IMO, it isn't necessary to remove the entire cat in order to access the post-cat O2 sensor location.

Here are photos I have borrowed from the Fabspeed website. They show the location of the OE cat's post-cat O2 sensors in reference to where those locations would be on the Fabspeed cat. And, as shown in the 2nd photo, there is quite a lot of space between the cat and the heat shield at those locations. IMO, there would be more than enough space to access the O2 sensor and to install a right-angled Fabspeed O2 spacer.

9. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Correct, The Novitec Techtonic unit is something that is available BUT its only available for the F12 (not the FF).

Basically the Techtonic is a unit that plugs and stays into the OBD2 Port and prevents the CEL from coming on.

The alternative is to go with the Novitec ECU Upgrade. There are great benefits to this as depending on your modifications (cat delete, HFC, stock cat, x-pipe etc etc) the ECU software is tailor made to that, and it will also be a 100% full proof plan for your CEL not to come on (unless there is a problem.)

We have another client shipping in his FF for the complete Novitec Stage 1 Power Pack (the highest power package they offer for the FF - 702HP/528TQ) with the valved exhaust system, so we will have some videos of what it is like valve open and closed for you all!

10. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #60 kenyon, Jan 12, 2017
  11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #61 Brian L, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    You should do some before and afters. Not inside.

Stage 1 is the 200 cell cat or 100 or no? And ECU?

12. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Wow! They look amazing. Any more pics?

13. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    I will certainly do it.

Stage 1 is Catless.

14. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Can you do Catless Dow pipes and retain the factory valves? What does that sound like? Does the NR ECU tune eliminate warranty?

15. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I have read all in this thread, this has that pro & con, that has this pro & con, with personal preferences, even some sounds but my conclusion is that I'm a bit lost as to what to do best. Different people like difference sounds, one prefers as loud as possible other want a high pitch etc. I do not want to change much from what the car has as a standard, just an improvement for little expense with no disadvantages. Is the conclusion that I (as a non-technical guy) just would need to removed the vacuum lines or put in an x-pipe correct?

16. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Do both and your sorted! X-pipe eliminates the low-end drone that might come about from lines being pulled....

17. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I started this thread and now have the x-pipe plus additional items back on my F12... First day of new delivery I had the exhaust flaps set open all the time... liked the sound on throttle (a little strong on cold start )..added the x-pipe and my car became more quiet... took the x-pipe back off... numerous conversations later, I had installed the Fabspeed 200 cell cats along with their mini-cats and put the x-pipe back on.. at the same time had Mase Engineering do a tune...
    The results were more than good... the F1 scream comes on really strong above 4,000rpm.. the throttle/engine response is definitely quicker and she just keeps pulling above the 6,500rpm range.. dyno gain of 54hp at the rear wheels...not one light on the dash... so if the x-pipe is doing anything in the combination, not sure what it is other than maybe eliminating low rpm drone which I do not have....cold start is a small explosion but it settles down quickly and if you drive around in Auto/Sport she is really quiet... but I love to wake her up....and the acceleration in 3rd and 4th is just unreal....

18. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks ... will go for that!

19. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Justin, any video of your setup? Would love to hear that F1 sound.

20. Tom GTC4 Lusso V12

Apr 2, 2018
    Holland
    Full Name:
    tom
    Good morning, I have a GTC4 Lusso V12 and have already installed the electronic valve control to open the valve at any time with the remote control
    But I want some more noise with open flap
    Someone recommended me to install the Capristo X pipe so I ordered this part but not yet installed
    I have now read several comments my question makes the car more sound after installation of X pipe
    Thanks in advance for your reaction greetings tom

21. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Definitely not “more” sound, if you want that you need to go with NR or Capristo boxes as when they are fully open ca. 95% of exhaust flow is straight without any suppression of sound whereas I’m told that with stock boxes wide open ca 70-80% is straight out....

X-pipe:

1. It’s much quieter and of course with valves open it is deeper when idling.

2. Removes any “droning”

3. It adds a higher pitch “scream” but you need to get to 7k++ RPM to appreciate it

X-pipe is a must once you start to mess with these cars exhaust systems.

22. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Wonder if anyone will do something for 812SF :)

23. Tom GTC4 Lusso V12

Apr 2, 2018
    Holland
    Full Name:
    tom
    thanks for the quick answer good explanation!
    what do you mean with the Box NR or Capristo you can send me a link of the product

thank you, your help is very appreciated

24. Carlos@TAG

Carlos@TAG Karting

Apr 12, 2017
    By box i'm assuming @F12KID means exhaust system. If you are really looking for volume on your V12 we highly recommend going for the Novitec Rosso system W/ Cat Replacement pipes. You can get this system in either a valved (to make loud on demand) or non valved (to have a screaming V12 at all times)

Here is a video showing the Lusso with Novitec Valved Exhaust, Novitec X Pipe, and Novitec Cat Replacement Pipes. You can also add a Novitec Switchtronic to open and close the valves whenever you'd like. If you decided to go with cat replacement pipes we highly recommend adding a Novitec Tectronic to get rid of the check engine light on the dash and continue to drive worry free ;) We have installed many Novitec Exhaust Systems here in house, If you have any questions at all about this setup feel free to reach me via email [email protected]

25. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Apologies for not being clear. Boxes = rear exhausts (cat-back). Either Novitec Rosso (NR) or capristo. Unless you want the inconel top of the range wild material stuff from NR, capristo is perfectly fine and you can hardly tell the difference except for the price; Capristo substantially less! Another point is that NR outsource all their stuff to Fuchs....

I’m on my phone and hate browsing on it, PM me your email address and I’ll send you all you need

Cheers...