x-pipe addition | FerrariChat

x-pipe addition

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by f12tm, Dec 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I see various vendors that show the x-pipe exhaust product for the F12... if one tries to see or hear what the product does for the sound or performance on it's own, it's not shown... it always seems to be combined with other components in sound bites ... so if anyone can help me understand what you get for a couple of grand (other than a real pretty pipe) I sure would appreciate an explanation...Tks

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Me too. I want to know if the x-pipe does anything meaningful with the rest of the exhaust stock.

3. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I had it on my FF with stock exhaust. Extenuates the higher end and softer and idle. However I've since added Capristo rear boxes and it's a must!

4. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Count me in on wanting to understand more about the options. The stock is fine for my ears above 2500 rpm, but it has an annoying dull drone at lower revs and at idle that is not dignified in anyway, more like a farm animal giving birth. It's enough to make me turn the car off at a 3-4 minute red light.

Dealer offered to open the flaps for me at delivery...I deferred, but have a feeling it would have actually made the interior of the car quieter...or maybe an x-pipe would get rid of the drone? On the other hand, not eager to lose torque at low speed by not having enough back pressure.

5. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Could you add further to your comment about "softer and idle"?

6. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    #6 AutobahnAndTrack, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    I have stock mufflers on the F12 and added the capristo x-pipe and remote control for the flaps after a couple of month driving around stock.

Will record a video sound clip in January.

Difference is not huge but noticeable. Sometimes I like the new sound better, other times not. Not sure about the low rpm drone being reduced, at least a bit I think.

What I don't understand is aftermarket mufflers sounding better then stock mufflers with open flap. When flap is open it is like a straight through pipe, so no reason for the aftermarket to be louder or sound different as long as cats are stock.

7. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

More quiet "with flaps closed"...I'm no physics expert but something happens with the sound when the pipes cross (x-pipe) as opposed to coming straight down (stock H piece) and out on each respective side of the engine banks....and I still don't understand why they are louder and "crisper" than stock exhaust with valves open, doesn't make sense as it's open all the way through when valves open.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

X-pipe definitely reduces (not completely remove) the drone, no doubt

9. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #9 kenyon, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    The only way is decat and have the valves open all the time.

Sounds like a F1 car -FXX, no droning in the cabin, but screams at 130 db at full rpm. Pure F1 noise all the way through rev range and gears.

No CEL as installed the novitec box of tricks which is a plug and play onto the OB socket under the steering.

The car spits flames, pops and bangs on overrun.

I have had all the light weight V8 ferraris which have all been decatted on their standard exhaust and its the only for that F1 noise.

Buying after market exhaust systems is in my mind a waste of money and adds very little.

Novitec decats and the box of tricks is all you need. The decats are expensive but pure qaulity with the insulation on them too. Engine temp has dropped around 7 degrees and more response, power increase and weight saving too.

10. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Amazing, and very tempting! Hoever I Don't think I would pass emmisions or sound test let alone the police who don't love loud exhausts

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #11 kenyon, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have the novitec x pipe on my ff. I also have novi hi flow cats and exhaust. when flaps ae closed it sounds stock, you have no idea the car has a full exhaust on it.

13. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Even with the NR sport cats ? My F12 is very loud with that setup, hence my resistance to the sport cat upgrade on FF

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep the car is just like oem when flaps are closed. I have BT conversations all the time. I had novitec program the ecu so that in sport the valves are open full time and it comfort and lower they only open at a percentage of throttle like oem

15. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I have NR ECU upgrade on both FF and F12 and I am most certain they are always programmed as you state above....impossible to have a BT convo in my F12

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that's odd - is an f12 much louder than an FF if both are oem?

17. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    For sure a difference, big one. My FF with x- pipe and capristo boxes is much quieter than my F12 was before sport cats were added

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ah OK. makes sense given the roles of each model in the line up

19. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Anyone comment on difference the NR ECU upgrade makes?

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    maximize fuel curves, increase air flow from exhaust etc. I did it more because I wanted the manetino to have specific settings for the exhaust flaps

21. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    I have Novitec catless downpipes and a Capristo with X-Pipe. As previous posters have said it's the most glorious sound you ever heard.

One problem though.... the car stinks everything up and cruising around with the windows open you can get scents of the exhaust fumes, gets on your clothes and sticks to them

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why not use the hi flow cats then?

23. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    That's is a good solution for the smell issue. I'm always surprised when the exhaust modification threads comes up. So may say "Go catless", but few remembers to mention that the car will stink like an old rust bucket. And yes, as previously said, that smell will contaminate not only ones clothes, but also the cabin over time - and it's not a pleasant smell.

24. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    #24 F12KID, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    You mean like 100 or 200 cel "sport cats"?

25. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Yes. 100 or 200 cell cats.